Thread: Well my cat has worms or something!

Well my cat has worms or something!

Mowgli tested positive for Giardia and for ????Taxocarus??? I have no idea what the spelling, or even the right pronunciation is for the 2nd thing.

Anyone have any ideas? Im trying to find info online, but cant find anything.

The breeder even gave him a de-worming shot of revolution.

Well hopefully this clears up all his problems. He has been having issues with being able to calculate his jumps and leaps, and he seems alot weaker (Cant jump on bed anymore) and doesnt play as much.

Hes only 12 weeks!

If anyone can figure out what parasite I am trying to talk about let me know! Would be helpful.

after doing some more research I finally found it.

Toxocariasis! Roundworm, I guess its common...

I believe Giardia is an intestinal protozoa not a worm. That has to be treated differently.

Revolution is not a deworming shot, it's a liquid that goes on their skin and worms for several types of worms including roundworm (which I believe has a proper name of toxiocarus or similar). Revolution also treats for heartworm prevention, mange, and in dogs sometimes helps with earmites, does a great job on earmites in cats though.

If your breeder is the one that said he had Giardia I would DEFINATELY take the dog, and a poop sample to your own vet and have the Giardia treated, and see what the progress is on the other worms.

Good luck!

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady711
    I believe Giardia is an intestinal protozoa not a worm. That has to be treated differently.

Revolution is not a deworming shot, it's a liquid that goes on their skin and worms for several types of worms including roundworm (which I believe has a proper name of toxiocarus or similar). Revolution also treats for heartworm prevention, mange, and in dogs sometimes helps with earmites, does a great job on earmites in cats though.

If your breeder is the one that said he had Giardia I would DEFINATELY take the dog, and a poop sample to your own vet and have the Giardia treated, and see what the progress is on the other worms.

Good luck!
    Psssstttt...Mowgli is a cat
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

yup, cat , and I was finally able to find my info.
    Yes the vet gave me two types of medications for Mowgli. The one for giardia I have to give him 2 times a day, where as the worm one is once today and once in ten days. Crazy how little of the worm meds he needs!

The breeder gave him the Revolution(Which I am now finding out if topical) before I received him 4 weeks ago. I guess it didnt work though, or he somehow caught the worms at my house.... Highly doubt it, he stays in 1 room.

I appologize for the mix up, I could have sworn I saw this posted under dog health. Sorry, musta had too many windows open and got mixed up.

Anyways roundworms are very common in puppies and kittens and frequently get them from their mothers. Do you have other cats in your house? It could be possible for worms to spread that way, although I believe they'd need to be sharing a litterbox for that to happen. If the cat had worms very badly then additional treatments may have been required even with the Revolution which only lasts for 4 weeks anyways.

I'm guessing based on the dates you have to give the worm medicine for Roundworms that it's probably a yellowish liquid, Strongid-T, Pyrantel or something similar. We use that one at work quite frequently and it is very potent stuff so you don't need to use a whole bunch. When my 3 youngest cats were little we gave them some of that wormer, and only had to give just enough to fill the slanted part of the eyedropper! It was such a small amount it couldn't be calculated on that eyedropper. lol But it did the job though.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Cool, do you or anyone else know. Will I see the worms in the poop if it works? Or is not seeing them ok? Its been 2 days and nothing so far....

Just curious!

With pyrantel you probably won't see dead or dying worms.