Thread: Petco

Petco

I was wondering something about the Petco petstores. Ours here in town is the only one I ever go to, and the ones I've been to out of town, well I've never asked to 'hold' any of the animals there, so that's why I don't know the answer on what I'm about to ask

Will they not 'allow' you to hold any of their animals? Is it a Petco rule or something About a year ago I asked to hold on of their parakeets and they asked me was I sure that I wanted to buy one, and when I said no they said they couldn't get it out then.
    A few weeks ago my brother wanted to hold ne of their small rats and they again asked him the same question, when he said no they have him the same answer as they did me. are they all this way?
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

I worked for Petco. It's the store policy that unless you're going to buy it (ferret, gerbil, etc) we won't take the pet out. Why?? Because alot of people like to use Petco as a "petting zoo". If we took out animals for anyone that came into the store, we'd be busy all the time, accommodating customers. Besides, animals being handled by customers is a liability for the store should one bite them. And, germs can make the animals sick. Don't be angry. It's not just you.

Parakeets could easily slip out of your hands. Another reason why they wouldn't take one out. That and the fact that they're very difficult to catch just so someone could pet it.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I think you should be allowed to hold the animal if you are thinking about buying it but aren't sure...That is why I like going to my local mom and pop pet store. I can actually hold the animals to decide if I want them or not.

Zoe and Oliver you will always be missed wait for me at the bridge babies.

Also owned by 2 cats named Olive and Sophie
    1 bunny named Houdini
    1 syrian hamster named Oreo
    A 17 year old cockatiel named Baby
    7 zebra finches named Beeper, Zeb, Sprout, Buzz, Scout, Jack and Pearl
    7 bettas
    and several tropical fish

Visit Lucy, Maggie, and Gracie's Doggyspace

If you're thinking of buying a pet, then yes. We go out of our way to help you and answer all your questions about their care. But to hold an animal cuz your curious, um, no.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I have found in my dealings with Petco, If you are going to buy then yes they will devote ALOT of time (my son got his mouse that way). However the risk of cross exposure even with sanitizer is great so they tend to not allow you to handle just for kicks.

btw I do not allow anyone in my bird rooms with shoes on and without washing to the elbows and then still sanitizing between handlings. As far as the other rescues go they get an email pic of who they are looking at no shoes and again sanitization.......it has become a bit more strict with those wanting to play with LJ
    Merry Holidays to One an All Blessed be

Thats just the thing....I want to go and hold animals just to see what they are like to figure out what type of animal I want. I want to go hold a rat to see what they are like, go home and research them and maybe a week later go and purchase one. I want to be able to hold every hamster, every rabbit, or every guinea pig before I decide which type of pet I want. I am able to do this at my local mom and pop pet store.

1 bunny named Houdini
    7 bettas

Quote Originally Posted by 3muttsandaboston
    Thats just the thing....I want to go and hold animals just to see what they are like to figure out what type of animal I want. I want to go hold a rat to see what they are like, go home and research them and maybe a week later go and purchase one. I want to be able to hold every hamster, every rabbit, or every guinea pig before I decide which type of pet I want. I am able to do this at my local mom and pop pet store.

Most Mom and Pops have a few that are residents...........trust me even our rescue has those!

but to hold each and everyone........it is a crap shoot most ethical people won't allow it. I myself would love to hold and play with a friends Hyacynth macaw would I? no I have too many birds and too may vet tests waiting........wouldn't forgive myself.

I once went to an amazing show (20 yrs ago now) at the tica.met my very first Sphynx there. Had an amazing male Siamese up and he took 2nd I brought home ticks. Maybe the walk in the woods? or maybe another shower?

My local mom and pop shop knows me. I used to supply some baby rabbits and finches. I went in to buy my hamster. I knew I wanted a hamster but I didn't know which one I wanted or if I wanted a dwarf or a syrian. So they showed me where the tanks were and told me to take as long as I wanted. I was able to open each tank and handle as many hammies as I wanted before I picked one out. They will let anyone do this as long as they watch you handle the animals and see that you know what you are doing. They are very friendly in there, honestly I will never buy an animal from a chain pet store. The animals raised for chain pet stores are kept in terrible conditions in puppy mill type places before they are finally shipped off to petco/petsmart. I have gone in petco and seen completely bald finches from being overcrowded.

1 bunny named Houdini
    7 bettas

I think you should be allowed to hold the animal if you are thinking about buying it but aren't sure...
    That's what I think. If you 'might' buy it then you should be able to 'hold' it and see how friendly it is, especially w/ hamsters and small rodents like that. It's just kinda convenient for the person that is getting the animal, that way you kinda know what the animal is going to act like.
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom
    If you're thinking of buying a pet, then yes. We go out of our way to help you and answer all your questions about their care. But to hold an animal cuz your curious, um, no.
    yeah, they have all been very nice when ever we have any questions about anything (usually fish I don't ever hold an animal just because I'm curious, if I ever want to hold one anywhere I'm usually thinking about adding one to the family

My local mom and pop shop knows me. I used to supply some baby rabbits and finches. I went in to buy my hamster. I knew I wanted a hamster but I didn't know which one I wanted or if I wanted a dwarf or a syrian. So they showed me where the tanks were and told me to take as long as I wanted. I was able to open each tank and handle as many hammies as I wanted before I picked one out. They will let anyone do this as long as they watch you handle the animals and see that you know what you are doing. They are very friendly in there, honestly I will never buy an animal from a chain pet store. The animals raised for chain pet stores are kept in terrible conditions in puppy mill type places before they are finally shipped off to petco/petsmart. I have gone in petco and seen completely bald finches from being overcrowded.
    Please Please do not take what I am saying the wrong way..............I agree some pet stores and several breeders should be cited. All I am saying is do not take personal if they hesitate. They are (I truly hope as I am ) keeping the animals best welfare in mind.

My local mom and pop shop knows me. .
    Same with the pet store we go to. It's a family owned store called Timberlake. They are very nice and we know them all since we've been going there since I was a little girl. They will let anyone hold anything as long as someone that works there is watching them. They show you how to hold the animal and they're really friendly about it.

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom
    Don't be angry. It's not just you..
    I know, I understand. It's a good rule for many reasons. It's kind of a pain when you can't hold an animal when you might get it, but it's safe and a good policy. I'm not mad or trying to complain, just wondered if it was 'our' petco that did this or all of them