Thread: Stupid question, but what does it mean when you can see the third eye lid?

Stupid question, but what does it mean when you can see the third eye lid?

I'm currently catsitting Peggy, my mother's calico girl. My mother and Reinhold are on vacation, and Peggy is kept indoors while they are away, so I visit her every day.

I often noticed in the past that you can see a bit of Peggy's third eye lid, already when she was a kitten, but these days it seems to be especially bad. It's not covering her entire eye, but maybe 25 - 30 % of it, at least at times. Her eyes are not looking inflamed, and she hasn't a runny nose, or a cold. She's looking healthy apart from this, and I know she has been tested negative for Feline Leukemia, and always got her shots.

So why do her eyes look so strange? I don't know much about this, none of my cats had ever had these problems.

Kirsten

I have heard of the thrid eye lid and I know I use to know but it has long since been gone from my memory.. Maybe someone else will come along that knows.

Meantime check out what it says here
    http://animal.discovery.com/guides/c...dy/eyelid.html

Shucks my ISP is running at a snails pace, just search it on the internet, there is a lot out there...

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Kirsten, my Poppy's third eyelid is always like that when he is just waking up, or he is tired and even when I am petting him. Maybe this is what it's like with Peggy. She could also be feeling a little depressed by being kept indoors and not having your Mom around.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

Thumper's one eye is totally covered (96%) by the third eye.
    Since she cant blink on her own it's in the protecting mode.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

Well, so you think it may only be an anatomic abnormality?

I took a picture of it today, not a good one because Peggy is hard to photograph, but you can see what I mean:

And here's another one of her, I think she is too skinny. But her vet doesn't find this alarming, and my mother says I only refer to her as skinny because I'm used to the sight of my own overweight cats.

Kirsten

Her third eye situation doesnt look bad. Considering it an abnormality, cant say. Check with her vet.

Peggy looks just fine in the weight department.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

I have read in Cat Fancy that it doesnt mean anything is wrong, its just thier way of cleaning thier eyes.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Aweee she is Adorable.. Her third eye lid looks ok.. Had she just woke up?? My girls if they just woke or something in the eye the third lid will show.. Hey but still get a Vet to check out..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

It's also an indication that your pet may be sick.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

We see this a lot at the clinic I work for. Usually, but not always, the kitty has tapeworms. We saw one the other day with the third eyelid up in one eye only and it was due to head trauma. Sometimes kitties that had a chronic URI as a kitten will have the third eyelid up at all times. I would have a veterinarian check her out just to be on the safe side.

Venita

Tapeworms? Very interesting. Peggy is regularily getting dewormed, but I really think she should go to the vet!

Kirsten

I have to agree with several of the posts, Peggy's eyes look OK and she looks very nice in the weight department!!! Shw has grown up to be a real looker!
    Nine is Fine!!

Kirsten,

Peggy's eyes look okay to me. It's when the third eyelid covers MOST of the eye is an indication that they're sick.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!