Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wardrobe questions for fuller figures....

Wardrobe questions for fuller figures....

I have a bunch of "new" clothes -- they are new to me, given to me by some friends and freecyclers. A lot of it is for winter so I haven't been too rushed in washing and inspecting them (one freecycler gave me a box of clothes needing repair, but it was all missing button type stuff)

Anyhow, now I am finally getting around to sorting through the winter stuff and choosing what's right for work vs. casual, what flatters my shape (in other words, what makes my big belly seem less pronounced) and what I just feel good in. I had a friend over this afternoon helping me sort through. and it seems we have totally different views on how clothes should fit.

I am able to wear one size comfortably, but can also slip into the size lower. I feel the size lower makes my tummy more pronounced and it bothers me a lot. My friend thinks the smaller size is better because it gave my bottom some shape. (I am all belly, with no butt to speak of, so I usually look like I have saggy diaper syndrome ) Whenever pants fit the butt, they pull across the belly and seriously outline the tummy to make me look like I'm pregnant (not something I generally try to enhance). Nothing is tight or constrictive feeling in the smaller pants. I can breathe, button and zipper everything easily.

The larger size almost always feels more comfortable, roomier, etc. (unless they feel like they're falling down -- I consider that too big) The smaller size always feels more comfortable in the fit around the inseam.

Soooo.... I know a lot of PTers are also in this dilemma. Which way do you go? Comfort first, feeling more confident about what you're most conscious of? Or tighter fit that flatters one other area?

Did this question make sense?

Sometimes when things are too baggy it makes you look bigger but I tend to like things roomy. Maybe you can go with the bigger size and do alterations to the bottom? Or maybe you can buy one of those bottom padding things
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Kim, I have very much your same problem, except I have a butt too to worry about! When I get things that give my belly and behind room, then I have the saggy crotch sydrome! HATE THAT!!!! I would go the smaller size, if it is not too tight and uncomfortable and just wear longer shirts and sweaters to that conceal your belly a bit. I tend to buy smaller pants to feel comfortable and not sag or risk falling down, and bigger shirts to fit more loosely!

Hope this helps!
    Kim
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Quote Originally Posted by kimlovescats
    I tend to buy smaller pants to feel comfortable and not sag or risk falling down, and bigger shirts to fit more loosely!
    Me too.
    My mother always told me I inherited a disease from her. It's called "Noassatall Disease". Get it? I have no butt. Anyway, I tend to do what Kim does.

From Decker with Love

Isn't it good to look pregnant your whole life, so people will give you their seat (because you don't have a seat of your own)? Yep, that's me too! I agree with the long shirts, empire waists, and go for comfort, because when you feel uncomfortable, you look uncomfortable, and people pick it up from your body language and tend to be more critical of your looks without even knowing they're doing so.

Love, Columbine

Butt....butt...butt...

Sure glad I don't have your behinder problem but I sure do the other one.

Used to love the 'sleek' fit of things...until one day I saw a picture of me in one of my favorite outfits. I looked like a stuffed sausage! Enough of that...so now I go for comfort and alter as needed.

Overblouses are a god-send for those with a prominent tummy. No more fussing with tucking/untucking either...blessed relief from ripped out sleeves, too. High bosom and broad shoulders don't mesh with tucked in tailored shirts very well.

Be comfy and take in the pant legs, if needed.

Callie

I knew PTers would have the same issue.

Lori, Noassatall disease! LOVE it! I am inflicted with that one myself. And yes, Kim, I get the saggy crotch syndrome too. I am NOT petite in any way but I've found petite pants fit me awesome. No hemming, the rise is just perfect. I would have NEVER tried on petite pants if not for getting a box of them. (by the way, they are all Old Navy flared bottom khakis in different colors and I can't wear them. Anyone petite and a size 18, PM me and I'll ship them to you.)

Ok, now I have another issue then. If I get the tops to be fuller around the tummy to cover tighter pants, then they tops are too big everywhere else. Which surprises me because I am rather ample-chested and broad-shouldered.

Check around, there may be a local tailor who can take in the shoulders of the tops that are too big up there, and can adjust the "saggy bottoms" on pants that fit well in front. Depending on how much they charge you might want to get a few items done, so you can look AND feel good!

I have found that clothing sizes and fits seem to vary all over the place depending on the style and manufacturer. And I've been every size in the last 12 years from size 24 to size 8!!

Since you were given the clothes and didn't have the option of picking them out yourself for fit, then I'd say ask some sewing friends if they can alter then, or check your yellow pages for a seamstress to make the ones you have fit better.

Personally I've always found that having a looser fit feels better, and a more taylored type top elimitates that 'pregnant' look.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

I usually go for what's comfortable and only worry about how it looks if it's something like work clothes where I need to look professional.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

I sorely wish I had the money to take everything to a tailor. I certainly can't do it myself (hems, buttons, etc are within my talent, but thats about it). If I had spare money for wardrobe I would have bought things to begin with

My coworkers were threatening to write to "what Not To Wear" about me! I can see their letter now "Our store designer is a sweet woman who takes care of herself last. Her idea of new clothes are hand-me-downs from friends and strangers." I'm sure Stacy and Clinton would be yelling at me about a tailor too (they were yelling at someone on last week's episode )

Quote Originally Posted by catnapper
    I sorely wish I had the money to take everything to a tailor. I certainly can't do it myself (hems, buttons, etc are within my talent, but thats about it). If I had spare money for wardrobe I would have bought things to begin with

My coworkers were threatening to write to "what Not To Wear" about me! I can see their letter now "Our store designer is a sweet woman who takes care of herself last. Her idea of new clothes are hand-me-downs from friends and strangers." I'm sure Stacy and Clinton would be yelling at me about a tailor too (they were yelling at someone on last week's episode )

I would actually love someone to do that to me. I don't have the money to buy a new wardrobe and for the most part I think Stacy and Clinton are pretty good eyes for what looks good on a particular body type. Hey and $5000 worth of fabulous new clothes would be awesome.

Could be worse right?

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

Kim,

My daughter tries to find clothes for me that are clingy. I don't like clingy clothes. She says that clingy clothes accentuate my curves. Sorry, but I can't stand clingy clothes. I'm way too self conscious to wear clothes that cling to by chubby body.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Oh, and another major dilemma: to leave shirts untucked or tuck them in?

I think they look unfinished untucked. Like I was too rushed in the morning to tuck it in and find a nice belt. A nasty remnant of Catholic school where the nuns and teachers were always on us (the boys mostly) about tucking in our blouses

I tuck mine in a lot, but then feel self-conscious about the tummy being out. I've been thinking maybe leaving the shirt out is best. Any thoughts on that one?

Why don't they make blouses and shirts with a finished edge or band so that when it is left out, it looks like its supposed to be out. Instead they all have a 1/4 seam and the blouse simply ends there.

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom
    Kim,

My daughter tries to find clothes for me that are clingy. I don't like clingy clothes. She says that clingy clothes accentuate my curves. Sorry, but I can't stand clingy clothes. I'm way too self conscious to wear clothes that cling to by chubby body.
    Clingy is good if they cling to the right parts. They always seem to find the parts I'm trying to keep attention from.

I found a silk blouse in the pile. I LOVED that silk blouse. Great color, great texture, awesome feel. Except it was the definition of clingy. Looked great on my arms and shoulder..... but we won't tell you how it looked across the chest and tummy.

I was also given a great black sweater in an XL.... darnnit, why wasn't it an XXL?!?! It still has the tags on it! I could technically wear the sweater, IF I had no problems with clingy. Or maybe if I wear a corset. Anyone know where I can get a corset these days?