Thread: Declaw..

Declaw..

Do declawed cats still think they have claws? I notice my cat still paws at things..??

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

I think you are referring to "kneading", its how as kittens they tried to got more milk from the mother. Our 2 males cats knead, but our 2 female cats do not.
    Scott is owned by 5 cats: Jackson, Fluffy, Twidgit, Ashton, Lexi;
    and 3 dogs: Eli, Sassee, Ginger

Fuzzy317's Pictures

Yes, I think that they still think that they have claws. Pepper is declawed and he still tries to use the scratching post. He also tries to claw furniture. I don't think that he even realizes that he has no front claws. Here's a picture of him trying to claw at the scratching post.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Yes, Tubby is declawed and he will still claw at the furniture, or at the edge of a rug, but only when he is happy. He will usually do the end of the couch when we first get home. He comes running out to see us then runs over to the couch and starts scratching, then runs to the kitchen for a treat. Or when he gets out in the garage with Terry, he will claw at the edge of the little rug we have out there for him. Goofy kitty.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Perhaps it's allright to declaw cats under certain circumstances, but I would definately not declaw mine. I think a cat without claws are an invalid!! I'm glad it's not allowed in Denmark!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Randi. I don't neccessarily see the problem. I've seen tons of cats being declawed, and its not that bad. They give the animals pain meds after also. Atleast here they do. One of the new vets at the clinic had a different, more humane way of doing it. She would just cut out the part that makes the claw grow back instead of cutting the claw off at the 1st joint. This was takes longer, but its not as painful for the animal. I think the main/only reason people get cats declawed is so they don't ruin the furniture and carpets and such. My cat lives in my moms apt, where its totally not allowed to do that, so its either get her declawed, or give her away. My cousin has a cat who is an out door cat, which would wouldn't be able to tell is declawed. This cat climbs trees, and catchs 'cat things' better then most cats with claws. My opinion. Im not saying its not cruel, i'm just not saying its very cruel either.

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)