Thread: Photography Tips, Tricks, and Hints

Photography Tips, Tricks, and Hints

I was curious and hoping that our ultra-camera/photography savvy members would share some tips, tricks, and hints for using cameras, photography hints, helpful tricks, and anything else!

I absolutely adore photography and have considered it for a career (unfortunately, I don't believe our local colleges have the kind of classes I would need). However, my skills are pretty minimal and I would *love* to be able to take pictures that are even a fraction of the quality and awesomeness of some of other very talented members pictures!

I have a Canon PowerShot A540.

Macro = Love
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

It's hard to teach someone photography, since it is such a broad subject. What specifically are you wanting to learn to do?

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

This is what I know: always try to have some red in the pic.

Animals are better close up (don't know why PT member would want to know THAT!)

Framing the subject is nice. Like with a tree branch, have it down the side of the pic not thorugh the middle.

I have been looking at the Canion powershot, I want, want WANT a digital camera. I'm tired of waiting until I finish my roll of film to see what I have. How long have you had it? Do you like it?

I hope someone with real photo expertise answers, I'll be watching!

The Learning Zone-Taking your camera on the road

This site has hours worth of reading and EXCELLENT photography tips that work with most any camera, def worth reading!

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Roxyluvsme13
    Macro = Love
    It seems so!

Quote Originally Posted by Kfamr
    It's hard to teach someone photography, since it is such a broad subject. What specifically are you wanting to learn to do?
    Oh gosh, really anything! I love all types of photography. Plus, I'm willing to try any technique once! hehe!

Things in my pics that bug me particularly.. Zoom. I would love to be able to do the flower close ups that some do! Portraits, moving critters and objects, better landscapes, overall quality, etc. I would like to do black and whites and have them clear.

There's so much! I'd love to learn it as much as possible!

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom
    This is what I know: always try to have some red in the pic.

Animals are better close up (don't know why PT member would want to know THAT!)

Framing the subject is nice. Like with a tree branch, have it down the side of the pic not thorugh the middle.

I have been looking at the Canion powershot, I want, want WANT a digital camera. I'm tired of waiting until I finish my roll of film to see what I have. How long have you had it? Do you like it?

I hope someone with real photo expertise answers, I'll be watching!
    Red.. Hmm! Will definitely try it! And the framing!

I've had my camera since early December of last year. I *LOVE* it! I'm never without it unless I accidentally left it at the house or I have no batteries. It has some pretty awesome features too!

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady711
    The Learning Zone-Taking your camera on the road

This site has hours worth of reading and EXCELLENT photography tips that work with most any camera, def worth reading!

Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Wenisrubber
    Thank you very much!

You're welcome

I use that site as a refresher before I go on vacations so I can get better pix.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

The best advice I can give is don't be afraid to shoot from different angles and using various light sources. Also, pick up a good photography book that explains all the basics. I really like books by Bryan Peterson.

Also, find a local photography club and join it! That is the best way to learn, with fellow photography nuts.
    Don't be afraid that your life will end. Be afraid that it will never begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Wenisrubber
    Oh gosh, really anything! I love all types of photography. Plus, I'm willing to try any technique once! hehe!

Things in my pics that bug me particularly.. Zoom. I would love to be able to do the flower close ups that some do! Portraits, moving critters and objects, better landscapes, overall quality, etc. I would like to do black and whites and have them clear.

There's so much! I'd love to learn it as much as possible!
    A majority of what you listed has to do with the camera. If you don't have a good zoom or macro, flower close ups aren't going to turn out right, etc.

Want to post a few of your photos and what you'd like different about them? Also list what settings you have the camera on when taken, if you remember them.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

LCC has an awesome course on Photography! You should check into it.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.