Thread: basset hounds and i am new here

basset hounds and i am new here

Hi, i have 5 basset hounds and all of them are rescues from Basset Hound Rescue of Alabama. www.bhra.org
    They rule the household pretty much so.
    Who here has basset hounds or even a mixed basset hound?

Hi and welcome to PTO... I have an 18 month old basset male myself and he is my heart and soul. Look forward to exchanging stories with you!

basset hounds and i am new here

Welcome to Pet Talk and enjoy all the talks & pictures..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

My dh and I have 2 basset hounds, Max and Oscar. Max is 6 years old, and Oscar is almost 3.

approximate ages of my hounds

Devon is around 9. He came from a shelter covered in his own waste and his toe nails were horrible. I got him out of a crate and bathed him and cut his nails and then turned him in with my dogs. He came with one other male hound who got adopted 3 weeks to the day later. Devon wouldnt get near me for 3 days thereafter and it took 6 weeks before he would let my husband near him. It took 1.5 years before he would get up on the couch with my husband and cuddle. Devon is my little soul mate. He loves his mommie.

Jaime is also around 9 years old and also came from a shelter, hw positive and had had many pups. She never went into a foster home as we adopted her too. She is timid but not scared of folks like Devon is.

Lucy, our first basset also came from a shelter and never really got into the rescue due to the fact i paid her vet bill and kept her. She is my instigator in play. She is a little mess. LOL

DaisyBelle was an owner surrender. After coming here for only a couple of days, she grew deep roots into my husband's heart so he had to have her and he adopted her a few weeks later. She is his shadow.

Hollee has a very long story that i will share completely tomorrow. She is a special girl which you all will read soon.

Hollee's story

Hollee had been adopted from bhra a couple of years ago but due to the health problems with the lady, Hollee needed to come back to our rescue. Before getting her back to us, Hollee was seemingly attacked by a coyote/s. When the woman found Hollee in such terrible condition, she rushed her to the vet where she stayed for a week and then was brought to us.
    When she arrived at our vet, her kidneys were shutting down and she had rotting skin on her neck/sides, and her belly. Our vet said the skin issues werent so bad as that was easy to deal with but we had to get her kidneys working again. So she spent alot of time and several weeks on iv fluids. Her kidneys started working again and she came home to us about 7 weeks after arriving at the vet.
    Some online friends of mine worked together and got the funds up and the rescue allowed us to keep Hollee.
    She is now very happy, and loves to sun herself on our porch or in the back yard. When she is in the house, she loves to sleep on one of the doggy beds or in her crate where she eats too.
    I am happy to have her.

I'd love one. There's a basset rescue near my house, and I"d want an older dog from a rescue. They are certainly on my future want list. I hear they have a tendency to have platlet problems and clotting issues. Any insight?
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton