Thread: Feral cat transition questions

Feral cat transition questions

Anyone with experience, I could use some pointers.

Bobby is about 8 months old, he is the one with the head tilt. I kept him from the TNR project as the vet said he wouldn't survive outdoors.

I've kept him in a room for almost a week. He hides even when in that room alone. He only comes out to eat overnight; and then he eats like a horse!

He knows my voice. Doesn't come to me, but won't run. I pick him up and sit with him 5 times per day, 20 to 30 mintues at a time. We sit in different rooms in the house. He is attentive, watching the other cats move about, checking out the dog, and Dad. He has given me head bumpies, purrs sometimes, and loves to rub his head and face along mine.

He has approached one of the other cats a few times; he doesn't seem to knwo what a cat hissing means, he just keeps rubbing that cat! He also doesn't react to growls or swats on the head! I have to scoop him up and away. Well, he has only ever been with his litter mates, and I guess if they did rough and tumble it was all in fun.

He has gotten away from me a few times yesterday and today. He runs and hides. No interest in toys yet. He does know his way back to "his" room, and now runs there if he gets away from me.

How long will this last? What can I do to help him adapt?

I'm worried because I took in Billy a bit over 4 weeks ago; a 6 year old male who has been a house pet since he was 8 weeks old. HE is also still hiding out in one room, in one place. He comes visits me at 2:30 AM and his rumbling purr awakens me; he wants his pets! So I think I am causing a problem with them, not sure.

Anyone been there, got ideas? Thanks. Sandie

My boy Bob was about four or five months old when I managed to entice him indoors from the backyard. He spent several weeks hiding in his own room (with me spending lots of time sitting on the floor talking to him) before he finally decided that he wanted to join the rest of the family. He's still very skittish (just ask Dr. Goodnow), and he'll never be a lap cat, but he's such a sweet guy! I just let him do his own thing. He gets plenty of pets whenever he asks for them, although frankly he's more fond of Hagrid than he is of me.

The key with ex-ferals, I think, is patience and not expecting too much from them. If Bobby is sitting with you and giving headbumpies, you've already made great progress! He'll hide less and come out and explore more as he gets more comfortable.

As for Billy, even kitties who have always been house pets can be shy. My Angel is a case in point. He was born in my house and has been cuddled from day one, but he acts as though he's never seen a human before. Again, I'd just be patient. He'll figure out soon enough that it's as safe to come looking for pets during the day as it is at night.

It's the same at my house. Weezy has been a house cat for her whole life but you would swear that she wasn't the way she acts. Very high strung, hides whenever anyone else is here but me. If I ignore her, after awhile I feel paws scratching at my leg or a nip at my elbow. Her way of saying, I'm here, time to pet me. One of my teachers has a feral kitten and it has taken 3 months just to get the kitten to come out of the bathroom. It's progress, patience is definitely the key.
    Kathy
    Weezer, Tigger, Terrance
    Percival and Tito(Iggy)

Oh thank you both for the insight. Everything you've both said is quite helpful. This makes me feel better:
    Quote Originally Posted by CatsinDenver
    My Angel is a case in point. He was born in my house and has been cuddled from day one, but he acts as though he's never seen a human before.

One last thought: I have heard that after a feral cat becomes domesticated that he or she becomes attached to the person that did the taming for the rest of the cat's life and shuns other humans.

Guess that's you, eh?
    Spoiled child, bad
    Spoiled cat, good

I totally agree with what CatsInDenver said. Patience is VERY important in winning over the trust of a feral. It may take 6 weeks or even 6 years. Just go about your daily life. You're doing all the right things. Keep up the great work.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Thanks, Abby's Mom, we've already seen that. I am the one who gets him out, puts him back in his room, feeds him, etc. Sometimes I pass him to Dad to hold while I do something. He is not nearly as comfortable with Dad, and he keeps his eye on me. If I get out of sight, he wiggles and squirms and Dad has a tough time holding him.