View Poll Results: What do you think about electronic pets?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • They're great, they can teach people about ownership and are good for people who cannot own animals

12 34.29%
  • They're bad, they cause people to abandon their real pets

5 14.29%
  • I'm not sure/neutral

18 51.43%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electronic pets: Good or bad?

Electronic pets: Good or bad?

I thought this would make an interesting thread.

Yesterday, the shelter I volunteer at was in the newspaper, because it is at this time when all the unwanted pets who were bought as easter presents start to get dumped. Today when I went in, every single pen for every type of animal is full. I've never seen so many unwanted animals before, it really is very sad.

Also, on the news a few days ago, a report by the RSPCA read that unwanted animals are up 44% for 2006 compared to 2005. That is one heck of an increase. And who knows how 2007 will compare?

In the newpaper report, the manageress of our shelter blamed electronic pets for the increase. Because these creations, whether toys or video games, can be switched off when not needed, don't cost anything to care for, don't need cleaning up after and co-operate willingly with their 'owners', they have become more appealing than the real thing. A child sitting at home would much rather muck out their virtual pony with one click of a button than go and clean out their bunny sitting in a week's worth of dirty bedding.

I never really thought about electronic pets being a cause of neglect before. I always put them in quite a bright light, as they were the option of owning a 'pet' for those that cannot own a real one. However, now I'm not so sure. Perhaps they are mechanical monsters killing the tradition of children and pets being the best of friends.

What do you think?

Zimbabwe 07/13

Electronic pets like neopets and nindendogs are made to be a fun relexing games.I love video games and think the electronic pet games are great and fun.I don't blame them for more animals in shelters.Tamagotci and Pets computer games have been out for years before nintendogs and pony friends.Anyone remember the Tamagotci and Gigi pet crazy?
    Nikki[human],Zippy[tabby],and Pumpkin[orange tabby]
    Rest in Peace my Sweet Hammie Zoey
    Jan 1,09-March 26,2010

I can't blame them for pet abuse or abadonment. If someone is likely to abandon an animal, then any excuse will do.

E-pets are upposed ot be fun and could be good for those that can't have animals.

If e-pets is a good way to ahve an animal without the mess, then i hope that person doesn't have children.

and people abandon other electronic creations too. Does anyone know the lifespan of a web membership, let alone a blog or a real website? I know it isn't long.

Anne
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Another scapegoat. Adults are responsible for bringing pets into the home, and are ultimately responsible for their care, not a 12 year old. I blame the ease at which pets can be produced and purchased.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

I think it's probably a big stretch to think that electronic pets influence real pet ownership at all.

If a person is inclined to treat a real pet well, letting an electronic pet die isn't going to matter. And visa versa.

I take very good care of my real critters. But I slaughtered several electronic ones! Oops.

I think it's like saying playing a video game is going to make a kid go out and shoot people. I think not.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

A VERY big stretch. I have Gigapets, Nintendogs, etc burried somewhere in my closet. However, there's no way in heck I'd abandon my dogs. Rather silly for them to blame electronic pets.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I don't like them. I feel it gives people the impression that real pets can be shoved away when the novelty wears off. As always, our shelters are also full of easter pups that are no longer wanted.

It's kind of a toss up for me. The games could be good for kids than cannot own their own animals due to allergies, parental rules, etc. I also agree that the games can take up time that someone could be useing on their own living animals. I stopped playing all the Nintendogs, Neopets, catz, and Dogz games once I thought "Hey, couldn't I be useing this time to care for my real living pets?"
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

They're much better for most of the people out there who THINK they want a real pet! Children who assume their parents will take care of the pet when they tire of it, corporate whores who sign up for biennial transfers, people who date/marry allergic people or animal haters, and the vast majority of pet owners who get a pet without giving any thought to the investment of time, money, and lifestyle they'd have to make to raise the pet ethically.

One in particular, Paro the robotic baby seal, has also proven an ideal companion for the frail elderly, who can't really take care of a pet but need a cute fix and a cuddle to cheer them up!

Love, Columbine

I want to buy a bunch of Furbies one day and BLOW THEM UP!

Muwhahahahaa!

I think that they are great. When I first got Ninetendogs, it felt like I had a real dog. I would take it everywhere and play it whenever I could. I learn a lot just from playing that game. These games build up good ownership skills and they are really fun!
    Thank you so much for my siggy, kittycats_delight!

Quote Originally Posted by Argranade
    I want to buy a bunch of Furbies one day and BLOW THEM UP!

Muwhahahahaa!
    LOL
    Thank you so much for my siggy, kittycats_delight!

My 13 year old niece has Nintendogs and the idog (I think it's called). While she loves playing those games, she would never trade it for her real animals. The family has two dogs and my niece has a rabbit that is completely her responsibility. But like someone else stated.....it all comes down to how the child is parented. Yeah, my niece needs to be reminded to feed her rabbit or clean out the cage, but a reminder is all it takes and she jumps up to do it.
    Anyway, I voted they were good.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Well I picked neutral because I don't think they can teach good ownership of a real pet, but I think they are great to just have fun with and play with and great for kids who are not allowed to have real pets.

At one time I was the Electronic pet Queen lol. I had over 20, and I still have around 15. I still love them so much and every once and awhile I even put one on and take care of it lol and I'm 20 years old. I've been addicted to them all my life, and I take good care of them too

I just think they are very fun and a great hobby for your extra time

Kalei
    I will love you forever Bobo

Quote Originally Posted by IRescue452
    Another scapegoat. Adults are responsible for bringing pets into the home, and are ultimately responsible for their care, not a 12 year old. I blame the ease at which pets can be produced and purchased.

I TOTALLY agree! I just cringe everytime someone comes in to our hospital with a puppy or kitten and say they got it for the 4 year old kid standing next to them. *shivers*

I'm not saying some kids are not responsible enough to take care of pets, some are but it's not at any specific age, it's based upon their past history of taking care of things on time and consistently, and the kid being old enough to actually take care of the animal properly. Otherwise I figure if the adult wants the pet ok, but don't get one 'just for the kids'.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022