Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Runoff of the Daisy thread-kinda!

Runoff of the Daisy thread-kinda!

Tim, this has nothing to do with you, i just know alot of people have some negative feelings about the outside dog ALL the time thing and i've kinda been wanting to make a thread of some sort about this subject and this kinda gave me the kick in the rear i needed to get it started.
    With it being warmer, we've been going on alot more walks and on my walks i've seen alot of dogs chained up. they look as though they've been chained up their whole life. I dont understand why people get these dogs as their so call pet or companion then just leave them chained up or stuck in a kennel day after day without any people attention other then at feeding time, or when it's time to clean out their cages!
    makes me very sick to my stomach and very sad...i just wanna run up and grab all those doggies and bring them to my house where they can learn to interact with people who love them and who can treat them good!
    just wanted to make a thread on this for a while now, so here it is...

oh also... im not trying to start any sort of fight and i know alot of pt'ers have their doggies inside so im sure it wont cause too much distraught people!!

My neighbor, had a dog, she was an old girl, and was always outside. Never chained up but always outside, never allowed in the house. I asked the neigbor once, why the dog never went inside, and he said, because she smelled! DUH! give her a bath! Every morning, when I would let my dog out to go pee, I would catch her sneaking out of a doghouse, that was left behind our house by the previous owners. Everyday, I told her it was okay, she could use the dog house, as she didnt have one. I tried giving her biscuits to get her to hang around more, but then realized she had no teeth. I also noticed she had a large tumorous growth, on her shoulderblade. so I just talked with her, and showed her some love. would give her some canned food, when she was around. This went on for about 6 months, before, one day I noticed she hadnt been around in a few days. I bumped into the neighbor, and he told me, that she was gone, I asked what happened, and he said he thought she had just gone somwhere and died. So I went home, very sad, that he seemed to not even care. I went in the backyard,a nd noticed that inside the Doghouse, was the dog. She was alive, but barely, so I went and sat next to her, petted her and told her wha a great dog she was. I sat with her for about 15 mins. Before she took her last breath, and passed on. I was so sad,but was happy that during her last few minutes, she felt loved. Hubby and I buried her in our backyard.

I for the life of me, cannot undertand why people get dogs and treat them like this! I couldnt even imagine not wanting a dog to spend every waking moment with me. There is so much love that they have to give. Sorry I just had to share this sad story.
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

Quote Originally Posted by critter crazy
    I for the life of me, cannot undertand why people get dogs and treat them like this! I couldnt even imagine not wanting a dog to spend every waking moment with me. There is so much love that they have to give. Sorry I just had to share this sad story.
    No it was a great story. Kinda why i wanted to post something about this, because i believe almost all of us feel so strongly that this is just utterly dumb that people do this to their dogs!!

There's a black lab mix in our neighborhood that spends its life on a 6 foot chain. If it weren't so mean sounding I'd have liberated it long ago. What's the point of having a dog if it lives on a 6 foot chain?
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

critter crazy, you have me in tears here,what a touching story. Thank God that old dog had you.

I too see a few dogs chained outside, it's their life. Why have a dog? Do they think it's protection? The dog barks all the time, so if someone were breaking in their house or garage would any neighbors even look out the window to see what's going on
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

I too hate the sight of dogs being kept chained up 24/7. Dogs are socail animals and need to be indoors with their families. They look to us for leadership. When we bring a dog or puppy home it's our responsability to know how to properly care for the dog. Know how to keep the dog happy and sane. Life on a chain or kennel is no life for a dog.

If you keep the dog indoors, but crated unless time to potty or eat it's just as bad. if not worse than keeping it on a chain. I see a lot of dog show people keep their dogs crated more than necessary.

The plain and simple of it is DOGS NEED INTERACTION WITH PEOPLE MORE THEN A FEW MINUTES A DAY!
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Ok, I would not normally post on a thread that I thought was, or could, get ugly.....but first let me start off by saying Zoee is an inside dog.

I grew up out in the country and we always had a dog or dogs. And my parents were very adamant on them NOT coming in the house. So they were chained up outside. NO animals allowed in the house. As my sister got older she began working with dogs she got her first GSD, Trevor. My parents helped pay for some very nice kennels to keep the dogs in during the day. And then at night they came in the garage to sleep in crates. Eventually, my sister had 6 dogs, 3 lived outside....3 GSD's. And 3 lived inside (I guess my parents gave up).....a min-pin, a rescued greyhound and one GSD pup from one of the outside GSD's. Those dogs that lived outside got as much love, care and exercise as the dogs that lived in the house. They were taken on LONG walks around the property, had regular vet care.
    All but one of those dogs are now at the RB...the min-pin just turned 17 last month. Each and everyone of them lived to be around 15 years of age......with the exception of one that had a serious health issue, and that was one of the inside dogs.
    So my parents now have only two dogs, the min-pin inside, and a rescue outside.

Our DJ dog was mainly an outside dog. He lived outside and had a doggie door to come into the garage. He did come in the house usually each day. I know I let him in with me when I was home alone all night. Well, he developed lung cancer and died at the age of 8. When we got Zoee, my BF thought DJ living outside is what killed him (even though I kept telling him NO). So Zoee is strictly an inside pup.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it doesn't matter where the dog lives as long as it IS well cared for and loved. Don't get me wrong, I see your point about them being indoors, obviously my dog is inside and I wouldn't have it any other way. But I think it's a bit harsh to immediately bash someone for keeping their dog outside. The dogs you are all describing that live outside do sound like they are not getting the love and attention they need, but hey, what can we do? We can't save the world, unfortunately.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

It wasn't really the fact that she's an outside dog. It's the way he worded it and the way we could see how she was being treated. I know there are outside dogs that are perfectly happy and well cared for. It just doesn't happen to be my belief. He made it quite obvious he didn't care for the dog, which I think is what made us all see red.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

I have very strong feelings on this but don't want to come off sounding harsh. I hope I can do that. I think most of us look at dogs as family members. We keep all of our family members inside the house and interact. I cannot understand, and never will, how people keep dogs outside. I wouldn't do that to a family member. I don't understand how someone can develop a relationship with a dog that isn't with them inside 24/7. When I see a dog outside all of the time and, worse yet, chained outside, I think the people who own that dog see them as *lawn ornaments.* I do not buy into the argument of having a dog for protection. Believe me, my Ripley (all 14 lbs. of him) can alert me to anything going on outside. After I am alerted it is my responsibility to see if there is a reason for the alarm. I would certainly never have a dog for protection with the idea of having an *attack dog.* I am sorry but I just cannot fathom any reason for ever having an outside dog.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedogsmom
    It wasn't really the fact that she's an outside dog. It's the way he worded it and the way we could see how she was being treated. I know there are outside dogs that are perfectly happy and well cared for. It just doesn't happen to be my belief. He made it quite obvious he didn't care for the dog, which I think is what made us all see red.
    Oh yeah, I know what you are saying and I agree.....but I didn't want to bring up that thread specifically. I was just speaking in general.

Pam, unfortuantely not everyone feels the same way we all do for our animals. It is VERY sad, but it happens. I guess we should just all be thankful we have our dogs and are giving them all the love we feel they deserve. Trust me, I wish I could save every dog I see on Petfinder. (and that's why I don't visit that site, except recently helping a friend look for a dog)
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Okay, person with an outside dog right here. Before Pet Talk, it was okay to have Roxy on a chain 24/7. I would come out and see her and bring her treats and everything, and I walked her occasionally, but it was okay. Everyone has a chained dog or an outside dog. It was okay. Then, I joined Pet Talk and everybody was yelling at me for my mom's choices on Roxy being an outside dog. Sooo, I took some effort and convinced my mom to let her inside. I once even snuck her in and bathed her. Now, after all of the hard work, Roxy is allowed inside at night, she never has an accident, not counting last night..(but that wasn't her fault because she had an upset stomach, but we figured out it was this food, and she's not getting anymore), she's allowed to sleep in my room on my bed, and I can give her a bath practically anytime I want to. So, I've come a loooong way from having a 24/7 outside dog. Now, I have a housebroken, night-time inside dog, whose allowed free roam of the house and who I can put in the shower with me if I want to. I do love Roxy and I wouldn't trade her for the world.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Roxyluvsme13, your post was beautiful! If PT had no other reason for existing your story would be enough for me. (Of course us PTers know better and love it for many other reasons). Many of us as children grew up with parents whose ideas do not mesh with our own now. My parents were not really concerned with what food my dogs were fed (usually what was on sale and a lot of table scraps) but as we get older we get to think, and try, new things. I am so glad that your mom has allowed you a little more freedom with Roxy. If you show that you are attentive to her needs and keep her bathed, etc. she should have no reason to doubt your good intentions and she will earn more *house time.* Your post has put a big smile on my face. See for yourself......>

Quote Originally Posted by Pam
    Roxyluvsme13, your post was beautiful! If PT had no other reason for existing your story would be enough for me. (Of course us PTers know better and love it for many other reasons). Many of us as children grew up with parents whose ideas do not mesh with our own now. My parents were not really concerned with what food my dogs were fed (usually what was on sale and a lot of table scraps) but as we get older we get to think, and try, new things. I am so glad that your mom has allowed you a little more freedom with Roxy. If you show that you are attentive to her needs and keep her bathed, etc. she should have no reason to doubt your good intentions and she will earn more *house time.* Your post has put a big smile on my face. See for yourself......>
    Aw, thanks! My mom still doesn't believe half of the stuff I tell her PT says because she's so set in her ways. She and my grandpa both believe you're supposed to increase food in the winter, decrease it in the summer. Uh, no. My grandpa says Roxy's amount of dog food is too much, but on the lower amount, she was SO skinny. I wish I could find my USB cord and show how much weight she's gained and how happy she is.. Yeah, Pet Talk changed us. Sorry for getting so off-topic!
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

I know some dogs - huskies, for example, who like being outside. What surprised me was that a friend's family dog - a Dalmatian - insisted on being an "outside" dog. She had a nice bed in the garage so she could be out of the weather, but my friend said she thinks inside the hosue with 5 kids was just too much commotion for the dog, and she'd howl and basically destroyed a door saying "LET ME OUT!" when kept inside for any length of time, even just for an overnight. The kids and parents all loved and played with the dog, took her for walks, etc., she just insisted on being outside!

But I cannot stand to see dogs chained up to a length of chain, in an area so small they have paced the ground bare, and obviously get little human interaction and care. It's heartbreaking, thanksfully it doesn't happen much around here that I see.

And I am so, so, so glad that Bri did all the work and was so diligent and Roxy gets to be inside now!

Hey Roxy, I just now saw that. That is great! Something similar happened with Maria if any of you remember her here. Major is inside almost all the time now. It took a few years but her perseverance paid off. I, too, agree that dogs are family and should be inside. I wouldn't have it any other way.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06