Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miniature Australian Shepherds

Miniature Australian Shepherds

Does anyone here have experience or could just give me an insight on these pups? Is it an actual breed? Any good reads, web sites, breeders, etc? Any info provided would be helpful!

I remember someone on PT mentioning them a time or two and it has been sticking with me. I am hoping to maybe bring one into the family one of these days (within next 2-5 years) soon!

is it a breed? that depends entirly on who you talk too lol. in all technicality it IS a breed, and "mini aussies" have been arounds since the begining, they were simple not known as mini aussies, they were just aussies. when a breed gets picked up for conformation they pick a size, in the aussies case they went with the larger, so small aussies kinda got left out lol it was in 1968 that someone actually started breeding the smaller aussies. they DO have a standard, they DO have a breed club, and they have been around since the begining of the Aussie. so in all reality, yes they ARE a breed, they are aussie's, who just happen to be small lol
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

There is a mini-aussie breeder here in Findlay OH. who advertises in the local community magazine. I'll pick one up next time I'm at the grocery and PM you the information.

I have seen Many "Mini Aussies",They are really no different than your average sized Aussie,I will look around and see if i can find a breeder in around your area.

I was in another forum,and someone mentioned they have heard of "Tea Cup Aussies,I disagree with designer breeds,But i would like to see what they acturally look like.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori Jordan
    I have seen Many "Mini Aussies",They are really no different than your average sized Aussie,I will look around and see if i can find a breeder in around your area.

I was in another forum,and someone mentioned they have heard of "Tea Cup Aussies,I disagree with designer breeds,But i would like to see what they acturally look like.
    I dont know anthing about mini aussies but heres a picture of the so called tea cup aussies.

https://breederinfocenter.com/index....20060319065105
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

mini & toy aussies have become quite popular around here (seattle-area) in the last 1-2 yrs. I see them frequently at the dog parks, and we've had a few in our training classes as well. I dont know much about them outside of the ones Ive met in these situations, but from my understanding they are supposed to be basically the same as standard aussies in personality, but Im sure theres some differences. the ones Ive met have actually seemed to be more hyperactive than most standard aussies Ive met, but it could very well have been because they were playing at the park. I know there are national breed club websites for both the minis and toys, and I imagine plenty of other informational websites out there on them, just do a search!
    R.I.P. Pidge, Oliver & Charlie <3

Margaret (the biped)
    Sahkmet (the bunski)
    Brock, Alki & Royal (the beasts)
    Felix & Linus (the mewsons)

Brock - Royal - Alki

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." -Edward Hoagland

Seattle Dogworks Training and Education Studio

Okay, I must sound like a huge idiot but I'm not a very big Herding dog person. But are shelties and Aussies really that different in personality? If not, then I don't see a purpose to a "miniature" or "toy" aussie. And if shelties and aussies are actually quite similar in temperament (assuming both are properly bred and trained), then what would be the purpose of a "miniature" or "toy" aussie? Sorry, guys, I'm not a fan of downsizing or upsizing any breed. Besides, I'm a big dog person so an Aussie is actually pretty small to me

ETA: Just noticed the post below me. Showing dogs and having titles does not deem a breeder reputable. Far more important are the health certificates and temperament of the dogs

Here is a breeder selling them. They are very cute little things. This person seems like a good breeder since they show them.
    http://www.teacuptreasures.com/index.html

Zoe and Oliver you will always be missed wait for me at the bridge babies.

Also owned by 2 cats named Olive and Sophie
    1 bunny named Houdini
    1 syrian hamster named Oreo
    A 17 year old cockatiel named Baby
    7 zebra finches named Beeper, Zeb, Sprout, Buzz, Scout, Jack and Pearl
    7 bettas
    and several tropical fish

Visit Lucy, Maggie, and Gracie's Doggyspace

Okay, I must sound like a huge idiot but I'm not a very big Herding dog person. But are shelties and Aussies really that different in personality? If not, then I don't see a purpose to a "miniature" or "toy" aussie. And if shelties and aussies are actually quite similar in temperament (assuming both are properly bred and trained), then what would be the purpose of a "miniature" or "toy" aussie? Sorry, guys, I'm not a fan of downsizing or upsizing any breed. Besides, I'm a big dog person so an Aussie is actually pretty small to me
    Aussies and shelties are extremely different in personality. And actually most mini & toy aussies Ive met are smaller than most shelties (though shelties come in such a wide size range too). I agree though, Im not a fan of up or downsizing a breed either. Especially since standard aussies already come in such a huge range of sizes. Brock is 65 lbs and 23 in tall for example and still within standard for height! And Ive seen plenty of 35 lb aussies as well. Personally I dont like the look of the toy & mini aussies, because they just look like toy dogs. Just my personal preference! lol
    R.I.P. Pidge, Oliver & Charlie <3

Margaret (the biped)
    Sahkmet (the bunski)
    Brock, Alki & Royal (the beasts)
    Felix & Linus (the mewsons)

Brock - Royal - Alki

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." -Edward Hoagland

Seattle Dogworks Training and Education Studio

10. I used to have a Aussie mix when i was little girl,, an i never dreamed of this breed of having different size standards like Poodles...

i must be old fashioned an out of date in the dog world. LOL
    is there Toy and Miniature Rottweilers now too?

Quote Originally Posted by Giselle
    But are shelties and Aussies really that different in personality?
    Comparing Shelties and Aussies is like comparing Pugs to Pekingese! How dare you, Sophie. >:[

hawhaw, I'm kidding. but... they are VERY different breeds in personality, appearance, purpose & size. But I do see what you're saying, as far as another already established breed being able to fill in the need for a "new" breed.

I actually consider a North American Shepherd breeder before I decided on Cardigans... it was more the individual breeder that I liked as opposed to the breed as a whole. She showed her dogs, and they worked every day and were amazing trial dogs, and of really reasonable size that was ideal for me (just under standard... 15-18"). In retrospect, if I were you, I would first search in your area for a working breeder whose dogs are on the lower end of the standard. I've never seen a working Aussie that was 60-70 lbs, as show Aussies tend to be.

If you do decide on a Mini Aussie, contact the breed club and do lots of research. The breed club is awesome and I find it encourages/promotes working Aussies much more than the US Aussie club does. This breed is becoming VERY popular with BYB's & Puppymills, who cross Aussies with Pomeranians & other small breeds to get ridiculously tiny size. I also feel that breeding "teacup" Aussies is simply immoral, because there is no way a 10" Aussie can move livestock efficiently. My advice is to look for breeders who are active in the breed club, showing, AND working... and completely steer clear of newspaper ads & puppyfind-type websites.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

I don't actually have a problem with the mini variety of aussies. A friend of mine used to breed them(she is going through a divorce currently so she has put everything on hold), and I spent a lot of time around them. They're just like standard aussies in temperament, and they're excellent working dogs.

Toy aussies on the other hand....no.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

LOL, Erika! Whoops! Like I said, I don't know much about herding/sporting dogs so I don't know the little breed characteristics very well (can ya tell I do lazy breeds?). All I know is that Giselle seems to have a thing for a BC named Gonzo

Whenever I hear about "new breeds", it always gets my hackles raised, but I know miniature Aussies are essentially small aussies. Same bloodlines and everything, right? From an unbiased point of view, there's nothing inherently wrong with that *as long as* you find the right breeder. The problem lies in the fact that bybs and pup millers gobble up "new breeds". New breeds are their cash cow and, unfortunately, I've seen a lot of bybs who tout mini aussies as the new "it" item. The basic rules for a reputable breeder remains the same: proving their dogs in a particular venue (conformation, herding, etc.), genetic testing (OFA, CERF, PennHip, Optigen, etc.), and temperament testing. More positive activity with their dogs (such as therapy) is definitely something to look favorably upon.

The biggest problem I see with mini aussies is that people seem to forget that they are WORKING DOGS. My friend has turned down dozens of prospective owners who were looking for an apartment dog or a couch potato. They have loads of energy and drive, and they need to DO something. (which is why, when she asked me if I wanted one of her rescued minis, I turned her down...I ADORE that dog, but I don't have that kind of energy.)

Thank you Wolf_Q!

The issues I see with miniaturizing breeds is the health problems that can and do occur. One thing I'm noticing with North American miniature Aussies is that their heads are getting smaller but their eyes are staying the same size. I talked to a friend who has two mini Aussies, and he says the breed is also starting to develop many internal problems, because the bodies are getting smaller but the organs are staying the same size. I don't know much about these issues as my breed is not currently in danger of being miniaturized -- though I do prefer my Belgians smaller! Honestly it sounds silly, but I've seen it happen.

I have no issues with the breed itself -- it has it's own parent club, it's being considered for registration by some of the bigger kennel clubs, and it has been bred for a long time. There aren't any smaller breeds being mixed in (unlike "toy" or "teacup" aussies). I don't see alot of consistency in the looks of these dogs which tells me that they are bred more for working ability and temperament -- a good thing as opposed to most Aussie breeders who focus too much on looks. I've recommended the mini aussie to people who want an aussie but want something smaller and less time-consuming to groom.
    However, I do not agree that any breed should simply be miniaturized because it's size is not preferred. Every breed has it's ups and downs. If something is impossible to live with, get a breed that has a downside you CAN live with. There are plenty of things I can't stand about Belgians -- but the downsides I dislike are all in temperament, something I can try to breed out without completely altering it's physical appearance and turning it into a "new breed."
    I've been BOO'd!