View Poll Results: would you dock a dogs tail?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

21 37.50%
  • no

31 55.36%
  • i would only adopt/rehome a dog with a docked tail

15 26.79%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: would you ever dock a dogs tail?

would you ever dock a dogs tail?

would you ever dock a dogs tail????
    i think it is sooooo cruel!!!!
    A pet is for life not for christmas

If you BUY you give an animal a home, if you ADOPT/REHOME you give an animal a life

please state your answer and why

If you BUY you give an animal a home, if you ADOPT/REHOME you give an animal a life

The only way i would Dock a dogs tail, is if it is Medically necessary. in other words, amputation. But to just Dock a dogs tail, no I cant say as if I would ever do that. I have owned dogs with Docked tails, but Have never Docked a dogs tail on Purpose.
    Last edited by critter crazy; 03-07-2007 at 08:34 AM.
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

Yes. Though poodles' tails are not docked to the degree that a rottweilers or other dog's tail are docked, about one third of the length of their tails are cut as puppies.

I would only adopt a dog with one, thogh never have one docked myself, unless for medical needs.

I would not dock it just to dock it, just like I don't do ears on my dogs, but honestly, at 3 days old, which is when they dock tails, the nerve endings haven't completely developed, nor the bone structure, and it's not nearly like amputating a full grown dog's tail. I personally would not do it if my dogs didn't come like that (except for medical reasons obvoiusly), but I dont find it nearly as cruel as doing the ears because at 3 days old they really don't have the same issues with it that an older dog does and it heals over within a day or two, providing it's done properly by a vet under sterile conditions and proper care is taken.

Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!

I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008

Quote Originally Posted by Pam
    Yes. Though poodles' tails are not docked to the degree that a rottweilers or other dog's tail are docked, about one third of the length of their tails are cut as puppies.

and hurt the pups awwwwww

I don't own any dogs with docked tails. If a docking job is done it should be done when the puppy is only 2-3 days old. Done properly by a vet. I don't think there's anything wrong with it. No one should ever atempt it with their own dog! That would be cruel! I have nothing against it IF it's done properly.

I'm starting to see some breeds in the conformation ring with natural tails. I keep running into a handler and a rottie with a tail. I've seen a couple boxers too. I don't pay much attention to the smaller breeds.

(Just a quick lil story. When Houston's breeder and I took the pups to the vet to get their dew claws removed the vet played a nasty trick on the breeder. We brought the puppies out and he said "the tail dockings went very well!" I thought the breeder was gonna scream.LOL could you imagin a whole litter of docked Siberian Huskies?!)
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

I would never have my dogs tail or ears cut off.

I would adopt or rescue dogs that had that done already.
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

people say that they dont mind it if it is done properly
    but there is no proper way to cut of a dogs tail!!!

I would not personally dock a dogs tail. But I am not opposed to having a dog with a docked tail (obviously). Like someone else stated, if it is done when they are only days old, it is not as painful and of course they do not remember it. Just like parents having their daughter's ears pierced, I think of it along those same lines.
    Unfortunately, I can see this thread getting ugly, and I hope it doesn't go there.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

No, i'm against docking and cropping.

The only reason I find it necessary is if you have a litter of potential show quality puppies and the tails must be docked to show them. Otherwise, no.

Same with cropping. If the pup is show quality and is going to be shown and the ears must be cropped to standard.
    I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!

I voted yes and no.

I personally own four (out of 5) dogs with docked tails.

I felt I couldn't just vote no, because when Kyra's litter was born "we" chose to dock the tails of the pups. We honestly didn't think there was any other option at the time, they're jack russell terriers, and jack russell terriers are "supposed" to have docked tails. We also had their dew claws removed, because, once again, we thought it was necessary. However, after watching the procedure, I won't do it again.

I'm not totally against docking (ear cropping is another story), but if the situation ever arose where I had a choice, I definitely wouldn't want it done.

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

Only for therapeutic reasons....ie. the tail is damaged beyond repair.

I don't agree with docking puppies just in case they "might", injure their tails when they are older and certainly not for cosmetic reasons which is the main reason most dogs are docked these days.
    I am a member of the anti-docking alliance which demonstrates how against this practise I am.

I don't really like the look of dogs without tails anyway. They remind me of arctic trucks with no trailor on the back...could fall on their face at any time. A tail makes them look more balanced and attractive. Without a tail, they look forward heavy.

I have read a report by an Australian vet that says that there is good evidence that the pups do feel the pain of having their tails docked and just because they might not actually show it...ie..show visible response to pain, that doesn't mean they aren't feeling it. Many pups bleed to death, end up having to be re-docked or are left with lifelong problems because of docking.

Here is a useful link for anyone against docking.
    http://anti-dockingalliance.co.uk/page_13.htm

It's uk based but they'll welcome anyone to join.
    Dogs are not our whole lives but they make our lives whole.

www.tmhudsonfineart.co.uk

I voted yes ONLY BECAUSE there are dogs out there like my aunt's dog who constantly injures his tail banging it on stuff. He's never injured it seriously, but 5-6 times a year he hurts it and is in pain for a week or so while it heals.

*Personally* I feel that a one-time surgery to remove part of his tail would be preferable to spending over a month out of the year, every year, fighting to keep a bandage o nhis tail and the abrasion wounds clean.

In general though, just because the breed is "supposed" to have a docked tail (wouldn't they be born that way if they were supposed to??) absolutely not. If you think it doesn't hurt a three day old puppy to have part of their spine cut off, go watch the procedure sometime.

Thank you Wolf_Q!