Thread: Cat Grass??

Cat Grass??

When My mom found out about the new addition she sent a "welcome package" with toys, collars, cat beds, blankets and this "grow you own" cat grass kit. I havent tried this before and was just wondering if its okay for them, Necessary, or just a treat. I have a 4 1/2 month old little one So I didnt know if this was something okay to give her.

There wasnt much info on the package about it so I was sure some of you would know!!

I am not an expert on this, but I believe the grass is good for the kitties. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong. However, I am not sure if the kitten should be a certain age first or if that matters.
    I am sure some more knowledgeable PTers will help you out with this.
    I got some seeds to grow and have been lazy and not planted them. I have just been getting wheat grass at the grocery store.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I've been using 'cat grass' for years. The one I use is made by a company called Cosmic and I think they call it 'kitty herbs' or something like that. It has Oat, Barley and Wheat seeds in it. I can get it at most pet stores. It's safe, and the only problems I've ever noticed is if a cat eats too much of it they might vomit occassionally.

It does help them to pass hairballs too because it's fiber for them. It helps satisfy their urge to chew on plants, and most of them like it. I even gave it to the kittens when they were only 3 1/2 months old, but their little kitten teeth have a more difficult time chewing a blade off than older kittens do.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Sound good!
    I didnt think It could be bad but I wasnt sure if it was for older kitties or what! It will take a while to grow (if it does with my gardening skill...or more lack lack there of)
    Maybe I will have to check out some allready grown grass from the pet store!
    Thanks for your help

My cats enjoy cat grass as well. I don't have it anymore, but I used to. They kept eating it right down and then pulling up the roots. I got tired of constantly replanting it.

I keep catnip in the garden outside, you may want to try that too once the weather warms up. It is a perennial and it spreads like crazy, so watch it. But you just pick some and bring it in for kitty to play and sniff. Ha ha.

Don't get catmint, they don'tseem to react to that one.

It sounds like your kitten has lots of fun things to keep her busy!

I used to buy cat grass at the store and also when I let my cat in the yard for a walk he would chew on the grass there. So I stopped buying grass and planted some from my yard in a pot. It lasts longer and is free so it works out!
    Cathy loves Cocoa Kitty.
    http://cocoakitty.net

I had this for a while but Boo would eat the entire plant in one sitting, roots and all. I came downstairs one morning and found him w/dirt on top of his nose. That got to be too expensive, so I stopped buying it. Most cats love it but Boo wouldn't give anyone else a chance.

Blessings,
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom
    My cats enjoy cat grass as well. I don't have it anymore, but I used to. They kept eating it right down and then pulling up the roots. I got tired of constantly replanting it.

I keep catnip in the garden outside, you may want to try that too once the weather warms up. It is a perennial and it spreads like crazy, so watch it. But you just pick some and bring it in for kitty to play and sniff. Ha ha.

Don't get catmint, they don'tseem to react to that one.

It sounds like your kitten has lots of fun things to keep her busy!
    LOL that reminds me of Bear, he'll pull the grass out by the roots, and spit them on the floor for fun. And if I let the pot get too dry, he pulls the whole root ball out and plops it in his water bowl!!

I have a bunch of catmint planted outside and my cats don't seem to have a preference between it and catnip, however my mom's cat will only play with the catnip. go figure. lol

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

My girls have their own pot of catgrass on the balcony and I put some catmint and catnip in there to make it look nice and because its cat "something", even though they're not interested. They do like their grass though and they have a little vomit after, which is supposed to be good for them. However, Colette has taken a liking to my pot of lemongrass, which is next to the catgrass, and seems to prefer that now, which hasn't helped my Thai cooking or lemongrass tea attempts. Oh well, she is Siamese...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. (Albert Schweitzer)

Cassie LOVES kitty grass! I used to buy the fresh stuff that Petsmart sells - Bell Rock Growers. She would snarf it down, and then I'd hear the unmistakable sound of her cough-barfing. I got tired of cleaning up after her, the price of the Bell Rock grass went up at Petsmart, and it wilts really fast - so I stopped buying it. But if you send them a photo of your cat eating their product, and they use it on their Web site, I think they send you a coupon for a free pot.

http://www.bellrockgrowers.com/products.html
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678