Thread: Chewing

Chewing

Hello,
    I have a eight year old Netherland Dwarf Rabbit. He is constanly chewing on nothing, today he made himself bleed (I got my father to bring me flour and we made Whiskes, my rabbit, put some in his mouth to stop the bleeding), does anyone know why he would be chewing? Is it some type of problem? Along with the chewing through he keeps drooling, and it is all over his chin.

Well thanks if you can help,
    Tanya.

whiskers

this is whiskers, my eight year old netherland dwarf
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Your rabbit is so cute! Maybe you should lock away anything that he could be chewing. Maybe you should keep a really close eye on him. If the bleeding presists, then I think you should take your rabbit to the vet. Good luck!
    Thank you so much for my siggy, kittycats_delight!

thanks

It stopped bleeding in like 2 minutes after we gave him flour, and he isnt chewing on anything, he is chewing on air

Thanks for you help

tanya

That right there, may be your problem give him something mediumushly hard to chew on. I think his chompers ((lol I mean teeth)) may be getting too long and he was tryimg to trim them down, which resulted in bleeding

Dose he have any wood, paper towel rolls or toys to chew on? His teeth could be too long and he might not be able to eat right so he has to find a way to take them down and has resulted in grinding his teeth.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

I tend to agree with the above 2 posts, maybe your bunny's teeth are too long?

While I don't have any experience with bunnies, I did own guinea pigs for 10 years and I know they both have the same type of teeth. The teeth keep growing and they have to keep them worn down by chewing on things (like wood). If they are too long a vet should be able to clip or file them down or something, I'm not sure on that as my guinea pigs never had that particular problem because they always had lots of things to chew on.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Definitely check his teeth, maybe you could send a pic of his teeth, also, has he done this all his life, because he could have deformed back teeth. (You can't see them)

Also, rabbits eat their own poo to get vitamins they need, did you check his butt to see if that was bleeding or sore. Also check his genitals. They lick those as well. Since he is a boy you will have to get his penis to stick out. You can do this by pressing a certain point near the bottom of his genitals. It should be a light pink colour.

I know that probably is not the case, by i thought i would offer up the suggestion anyway. But you really should get him to the vet.

Hope i helped.

Pets of the Day so far ...
    BOOF, HONEY & BUNNIKINS

CLICK HERE to see all my pets past and present...

Click Here to go to my Petster account.

Click here to see some of my pet videos on YouTube.

Yes I agree as well. It sounds like his teeth are too long, perhaps he has a sore in his mouth as well. Please check with the vet, they might have to file those choppers down. I get boxes from the wholesale club for my bunnies to chew on. They also really love willow tree branches. Some tree brances are poisen, best place to check is on the House Rabbit Society web page. My two chew all the time on those boxes. I get new ones every week when shopping. They really love this special box from the store, it's thinner then most boxes and they go to town on them. Good luck. Keep us posted we all love bunnies here.

Taking it to the vet is definitely the best solution.