Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem with Nebo, help

Problem with Nebo, help

Something weird happened with Nebo a few minutes ago. He was eating his food, then he got up and kind of stumbled/stood weird, I can't really describe it, but it was like very short seizure (Smokey had seizures, and Reggie had a few too, so I've seen them before). It lasted just a second or two then he stood normally and has been acting fine since.

Now I did something stupid, and I'm wondering if this caused it...I hope it did actually, as I'll just not be stupid and do that again. He has a quiet spot tag holder on his collar and Keva will not leave it alone, she's already chewed up one he's on his 2nd brand new one. I've tried bitter apple and that didn't deter her, so the dog trainer said to try white vinegar...didn't work either (Keva loved it), so then she said to try listerine, the brownish kind that tastes the worst. So I dipped his tag holder in that, and put it back on him. I'm wondering if the fumes just made him light headed, or maybe some dripped in his food? Do you think that could cause that?

I'm very paranoid when it comes to the dogs, so I'm really worried now. Luckily I have tomorrow off work so I can keep an eye on him...

Hopefully Amy, it was the Listerine. I'd just keep a close eye on him.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

hmm.. I dont know, I have a feeling its prob not the listerine, seems too simple/harmless. if it were me Id call your vet and tell them what happened and at least ask if they could run it by one of the vets. if they cant do that, maybe make an appt to at least talk to your vet. they should be able to tell you if they think you should bring him in, or what those symptoms could possibly lead to and/or what to watch for. at least just keep an eye on him for a few days and see if it happens again or he has any other symptoms. I definitely hope its nothing though!! sending nebo good vibes!
    R.I.P. Pidge, Oliver & Charlie <3

Margaret (the biped)
    Sahkmet (the bunski)
    Brock, Alki & Royal (the beasts)
    Felix & Linus (the mewsons)

Brock - Royal - Alki

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." -Edward Hoagland

Seattle Dogworks Training and Education Studio

I wouldn't think Listerine would have caused this-it's basically just alcohol, unless in fact the fumes made him feel a little dizzy. It may be just a one time thing...if it happens again, I would get him into the vet for some bloodwork. As I'm sure you know, huskies are prone to epilepsy and symptoms may not show up until later in life.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_Q

then she said to try listerine, the brownish kind that tastes the worst.

So I dipped his tag holder in that, and put it back on him.
    I'm wondering if the fumes just made him light headed,
    Hang onto your hat ...

I just looked up the "MSDS" (Material Safety Data Sheet) for "Listerine" ---
    the reference information that all chemical manufacturers MUST publish to
    explain to Emergency Service Folks (Police & Fire) just what is in all the chemicals
    we can run into. It makes for some interesting reading - This One for SURE!!

NUTZ!
    They've got .pdf file booby-trapped so I can't copy & paste ...

Let's just say the "ingredients" in Listerine would make me want to wear an Air Pack and
    full turn-out gear if there was a spill!

And we **DRINK** this stuff??

It's quite possible the "fumes" from his tag upset Nebo ...

Here's the MSDS Page for Listerine -
    you'll need a .PDF Viewer to open it.

http://www.biggestbook.com/MSDSFiles/MSDSCoolMint.pdf

/s/ Phred
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

I hope it was nothing serious, Amy. Honestly, after reading the MSDS, I think I'll run straight into the bathroom and "properly" dispose of the mouthwash in there That's pretty scary. I wouldn't be at all surprised that it was the problem. Keep us posted.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

oh wow great find phred!

upon reading it does say to avoid inhalation of vapors or mist and to avoid contact with clothing. also says under inhalation: "exposure to high concentrations" can cause drowsiness or drunkenness.

so.. maybe that was it, but Id only think so if it was still damp or was recently saturated. otherwise I imagine it had had plenty of time to air out.

gotta keep in mind those warnings are basically for mis-use/over dosage. though since the product wasnt made for use in animals the effects could certainally be much different.
    R.I.P. Pidge, Oliver & Charlie <3

Margaret (the biped)
    Sahkmet (the bunski)
    Brock, Alki & Royal (the beasts)
    Felix & Linus (the mewsons)

Brock - Royal - Alki

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." -Edward Hoagland

Seattle Dogworks Training and Education Studio

I hope Nebo is ok! I'd definatly keep an eye on him! hopefully it's just the listerine.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Good vibes being sent Nebo's way. Hopefully tomorrow he'll be ok and it will have been a one-time event. I don't know if it would be the mouthwash, though. My vet told me to rub Star's gums with mouthwash to keep down the bacteria & plaque around her broken molar. I hope between you & the vet you can get some answers.
    Last edited by cyber-sibes; 02-07-2007 at 11:44 PM.

good vibes sent your way and Nebo's way - I'd make sure you tell the vet tho so that way OTHER'S don't have a problem.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

I'm not sure what the symptoms mean, but I'm keeping all fingers crossed that it was just the mouthwash. Keep us updated on how he's doing!

Thanks for the replies/info everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by pessimisaurus

so.. maybe that was it, but Id only think so if it was still damp or was recently saturated. otherwise I imagine it had had plenty of time to air out.
    It was. Yes, I'm an idiot, I did not even think of it hurting him, I dipped the tag holder in it and put the collar back on. In fact I've washed the tag holder twice with soap and I can still smell it.

Nebo is a very sensitive dog, it doesn't take much to make him sick.

Just hoping this is a one-time thing.

Sounds like you are back to your original problem: What to put on Nebo's tag holder so Keva won't eat it!

Wishing Nebo full health.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatepuppy
    Hopefully Amy, it was the Listerine. I'd just keep a close eye on him.
    If it was straight listerine- yea probably so. Or made him " momentarily high" so to speak..
    I have never really found vinegar to work- but only a few cases of bitter apple have I found not to work.. I would suggest changing it for a new one- one that doesnt have the "established behavior" of being chewed on. Also- was the tag metal? or plastic? Whichever it was get the opposite. Or a tag that attaches to the color on the strap of it- not a dangle.

How old is nebo? as my 11 yr old suka had something similar to this , has a couple of times now, it lasts for a few seconds , she does the same as you described that nebo did, she seems to have these funny turns though when laying down though!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope hes ok now, but keep an eye on him, sukas may be age related.