Thread: Genetic tests for dogs soon available

Genetic tests for dogs soon available

Check this out- looks interesting. http://www.nbc4.com/news/10878620/detail.html

Just before Christmas my friend and I were talking about this. We didn't know it was going to actually be available, but she thought that it would be someday.

I personally don't care what breeds my dogs have in them, I love them regardless. I can see the benefit though. If a person plans to adopt a young mixed puppy and they want to have a better estimate of what size the dog will be. They would be able to better estimate what kind of activity level the dog will have too.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

We are hoping this test will put the puppy mills out of business- its alot easier to get this test to prove the dog isnt a pure bred dog- than through the akc where you need to know who is bred to whom..

I, personally, don't believe this is possible.

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

Its coming out.. We are looking forward to it..

DNA tests can only prove parentage if the parents DNA is already in the data base.

Puppy mills aren't likely to register the DNA of their dogs.

Somehow I don't see a huge market among owners of mutts since they could be products of generations of mixes.

What could verification that a dog is a poopekechimaltlabjacdoodle mix accomplish?
    To train a dog you have to think like a dog!

This isnt a dna panel- just a genetics panel ( like a border collie/ aussie verses a border collie) - at least its proof their puppy is not a pure bred dog..

I would love to know what Fenway is out of pure curiosity. I think he has a ton of Border Terrier in him and would love to get a test to prove it. If there is a test, I hope it's cheap. I wonder if they're looking for test subjects? I'd do it if it didn't hurt him (like if they took a q-tip and wiped the inside of his mouth with it like they do on the Maurey Povich Show).
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

Quote Originally Posted by elizabethann
    I would love to know what Fenway is out of pure curiosity. I think he has a ton of Border Terrier in him and would love to get a test to prove it. If there is a test, I hope it's cheap. I wonder if they're looking for test subjects? I'd do it if it didn't hurt him (like if they took a q-tip and wiped the inside of his mouth with it like they do on the Maurey Povich Show).
    I do not think it would bother them either- .. How many times does someone get a unknown large puppy- no clue what breeds are in there. Alot of large breeds need different diets as babies to prevent rickets etc- prime example is the Dane.