Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Update On Bailey - GREAT News! *Updated Jan 28th*

Update On Bailey - GREAT News! *Updated Jan 28th*

I received an email earlier from Baileys breeder telling me that Bailey was very ill. Apparently, the lady we gave Bailey too, gave him to one of her friends. They put him on a low quality kibble and now he only weighs 80 pounds! He is extremely ill, and the breeder has asked me to get him back into my care so that she can come and get him.

The lady I gave him to, told the breeder "Bailey was not well when I got him and I feel as though I rescued him from them." I can't believe she said that! He was thin from being boarded for two weeks and not being fed properly. Then to have her put him on a low quality kibble? What did she expect? The breeder asked the lady if she could take Bailey back, but she responded with "I will think about it."

The breeder said she might kill Bailey by keeping on that crappy food, or sell him to get rid of him. Or perhaps even use him as a stud dog. I haven't given the new "owner" his papers yet -- thank god. Without the papers, Bailey isn't as "valuable" to her.

I feel so horrible, so guilty. We should have screened her. She told me she knew a lot about Danes, and I trusted her to know how to properly feed one.

Any ideas as to how I can get him back? DH is going to call her tomorrow, but I doubt she will give him back to us without covering a $350.00 vet bill. It is not our fault she fed him that low quality food and made him so sick.

I am so frustrated...
    Last edited by Crazy-Cat-Lover; 01-28-2007 at 06:35 AM.

• AMADEUS • AUGUSTUS • SEBASTIAN • THEODORE •

I'm sorry to hear this, poor Bailey. Maybe I didn't remember this correctly...but doesn't your current apartment allow dogs, but only if they get a certain title? Could you work on getting that title for Bailey? I hope things work out for him. I wonder if there is an underlying health issue because I thought Bailey was having trouble gaining weight while you were feeding him a high quality/raw diet as well, you posted that in the "What did your dog eat today" thread.
    Last edited by wolf_Q; 01-23-2007 at 10:59 PM.

oh no ...how awful... i really wish i knew how to help, i hope you get him back safe soon

I'm sorry he got so sick, but why didn't you just give him back to the breeder in the first place?? I don't remember reading that if you posted it, so I'm just wondering.

And yeah, if you have to pay 350 to get him back then do it. I know it's not your fault she fed him that, but it is your doing he is there in the first place. I know you have been through a lot but he is where he is because you put him there, and I am not trying to sound mean, but if it is going to cost to get him back, you need to pay it. He needs to be gotten out of there before he DOES die. I know you never asked for any of this or for your apartment to burn down and it all seems very unfair, but you have to do what is right for the dog, he can't do it for himself. I hope you can get him back to return him to the breeder. Good luck and let us know how it goes. Poor Bailey.

Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!

I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008

Bailey needs out of the situation. Clearly that woman knows nothing about ANY dog. My dog's lives are priceless ~ I would not even hesitate about the vet bill.

Perhaps, if she asks for money, Pet Talk members will donate to help and get Bailey back?

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

The problem with paying is that we have no money. This month has financially drained us. I didn't give him back to the breeder because she approved re-homing him. We are allowed large dogs here if they have a CD Title, and even if they do, they still need to be approved. DH is the one who rushed into finding him a home, I was the one telling no, he needs to go back to the breeder. He simply called the breeder and she approved re-homing him. So he did.

Vela, I would pay for it in a heartbeat - but feeding my two daughters is far more important to me. Yes, after we pay rent, bills etc. all we have left is enough for groceries and other necessities. Thanks to the government, 50% of DH's paycheck is being taken away. I love Bailey with all my heart, but if we pay for the vet bill - we will be struggling through another month.

Anyway, we will talk to the lady tomorrow and see what she says. I think she may have already paid the bill, but we'll see if she agrees to let us take him back.

I know I sound cold, and I do understand things have been horrible for you, but I beleive Bailey will probably die if you dont offer to cover that vet bill. I highly doubt she will just give him back to you for nothing if she paid 350 to the vet. I am not unfeeling, I know what it's like to struggle with no money and I truly have empathy for you, but there has to be some way to offer her SOMETHING so that he doesn't die. Maybe she would even let you make payments on the vet bill if she will just give him back. Sign a contract to pay her, I don't know, but something, I don't want to see him die. The whole situation just make me feel horribly sad for all of you but mostly for Bailey, he didn't ask for this either and he is the one paying the price, and he can't do anything at all.

I really just hope all the best for all of you, I just don't want to see anything happen to him, and I know you don't either.

Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!

I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008

Quote Originally Posted by Vela
    I know I sound cold, and I do understand things have been horrible for you, but I beleive Bailey will probably die if you dont offer to cover that vet bill. I highly doubt she will just give him back to you for nothing if she paid 350 to the vet. I am not unfeeling, I know what it's like to struggle with no money and I truly have empathy for you, but there has to be some way to offer her SOMETHING so that he doesn't die. Maybe she would even let you make payments on the vet bill if she will just give him back. Sign a contract to pay her, I don't know, but something, I don't want to see him die. The whole situation just make me feel horribly sad for all of you but mostly for Bailey, he didn't ask for this either and he is the one paying the price, and he can't do anything at all.
    I know you are not trying to be cold, you are a wonderful person. Those all sound like great ideas, I will talk to her about it. I don't want to see him die either, so we will have to come up with something. I will let you know how it all goes.

I will hope and pray that someway, somehow you can get Bailey out of this situatioin and back in loving, caring arms. I am sorry she betrayed you. I sincerely hope Bailey will be okay.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

I'm so sorry. It's been a very rough time for you all. There's no easy solution, I know. I just hope Bailey can be rescued by someone.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

I am sorry to hear this. I will pray that something can be worked out to get Bailey into a better home.

Quote Originally Posted by luvofallhorses
    I will hope and pray that someway, somehow you can get Bailey out of this situatioin and back in loving, caring arms. I am sorry she betrayed you. I sincerely hope Bailey will be okay.

My thoughts, too.

Please don't blame your selves or each other for this. You did not intend there to be any harm, you were trying to prevent Bailey from having no home & you thought you picked the right home for him.

I TOTALLY understand the no money thing after a sudden loss of home. I don't blame you for thinking about your family first (as you should!), & still trying to help Bailey.

What of you talked to the breeder to "take him back", but then give Bailey right back to you?

Also, did you officially sign Bailey over to these new people? As in removed your name from his papers, stating your the owner of him?? If not, you might be able to fight him & state that it was on a temp bases & not permenat & you want him back now.

Pets are NOT property here in Canada, but I think they are in the USA (I'm almost positive), so you should be able to take him back with using the law.

I wish you the best in this sad situation
    *Hugs*

Have you answered or returned the phone calls of the Great Dane rescue? I know the lady had been trying to contact you but all of her messages were not replied to. I bet a rescue would be willing to help you out.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Poor Bailey. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June