Thread: Fictional shelter story but probably more truth to it than fiction

Fictional shelter story but probably more truth to it than fiction

A few weeks ago someone (by the name of John Edwards) wrote in the "Letters to the Editor" section of my local paper that they were disgusted at the fee to adopt a dog from a shelter. They went to one in search of "a mutt" and were quoted a fee of $135 and wrote to sound off about this, in their opinion, exorbitant fee.

Today someone posted a response and, although it is supposedly written by one of the dogs in the shelter, it contains so much truth. I am sure this scene is played out all over every day. Here's the story...

Hi! My name is Lucky, and let me tell you why. My mom was a pitbull and my dad was a doberman. When I was born they named me Lucky.

After about three months my owner placed an ad in the local paper that read, "Free to good home" (lucky me). They said it was because they could not afford me.

One day a man with his son decided to adopt me. After about six months with this family I was given to a friend of my master's (again, lucky me). My new master liked to play with me a lot and he taught me how to fight with the other dogs he had. I must say I was a pretty good fighter, not to brag or anything.

After being fed a diet of gun powder and feasting on other not-so-lucky dogs, I was put in matches against other dogs for money. Sometimes I needed to be mended because of the bites I received, but I never lost (lucky me).

One day I was getting ready for a big match, and you won't believe what happened! The police got wind of the dog fights and busted my master (lucky me). The police proceeded to take me to the shelter where I was given treatment for my wounds and all the shots I never received as a pup (lucky me).

That's where people such as John Edwards come into the story. Lo and behold, one day a man comes to adopt a dog. He comes up to my cage and looks me over, then heads over to the desk and asks in a demanding voice, "How much for the mutt?"

The reply from the young man, who donates his time, was "$135." The man says, "Are you out of your mind asking $135 for a mutt? No way will I pay that much!" He then leaves (lucky me).

I was so happy to see this response today and hope that Mr. John Edwards was reading Letters to the Editor once again this morning. It speaks volumes I thought.

This angers me soooooo much!!! That reply was GREAT! I am very happy that someone wrote it and the paper printed it.

People have major problems with my shelter's $75 adoption fee. Even after I tell them what all it covers (spay/neuter, shots up to date, a free vet visit, free food coupon, free grooming coupon, and bag of samples - not to mention the cost of boarding and feeding the animals), they STILL have a problem. Then I mention we are a non-profit charity with absolutely no money and we thrive on donations. Sometimes even then they still have a problem with it. It just infruiates me. Especially the guy last week who came in and the conversation went a little like this:

"How much for that brown dog in there?"
    "All of our animals are $75"
    "No I ain't payin that. Don't I get a discount or somthing?"
    "No sir, I'm afraid we can't do that" (I also explained the charity part)
    "How bouts if I trade my Pit Bull in and you give me this new dog plus 50 bucks?"

ARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Disgusting people.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

We paid $120.00 for our "mutt" Chewy. I love him to death and am glad we spent that much on him. All together I say we have probably spent over $300.00 on our Mutt Chewy in the past 2 weeks. Just because they are a mutt makes them no less of a dog then a pure bred, They all have selfless love, devotion and loyalty, no madder the breed, the looks or anything, they will give you everything you want in a dog, and I truly believe that.
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

Pam, that was a sad but good story that was written, and all too true. Thanks for sharing it.

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

I HAD NO IDEA!!!!!
    When we were calling around to shelters looking for our soon to be Tinky I figured they would be free ( feeling nieve )... BELIEVE ME THOUGH i didn't complain that they weren't..... I don't even know how much I would pay to save a life..... As for the people that still don't understand after they are explained the costs they shouldn't even be allowed to be blessed with a pet!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Sara luvs her Tinky; 06-24-2002 at 10:54 PM.
    [CENTER]

Alden is here!!
    7/6/2006 - 9 pounds 9 ounces 22 inches

Tinky

Most the shelters here have a $80-$85 fee. With that you get first shots (if it is a puppy) or current shots, spay/nuetering, and at least with planned pethood, free vet visits for any illness with in 30 days of adoption. I think that is a bargin!!! We got Sadie
    and Cincy both free from "accidental" pregnancies and I have to tell you, first shots and spaying was closer to $100. Not to mention second and third rounds of puppy shots. I realize breeders have "stud fees" and other expenses for their puppies and don't thinki t is wrong to ask for money for them (if it is indeed a responsible breeder, not a puppymill trying to make money). But are some breeds really worth $1000's and a mutt nothing? Underneath it all, they are all dogs, and will be loving loyal companions.

Glad to see someone spoke up and defended the shleter.

Can't remember how much I donated for Kia. Doesn't matter.

~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

I paid $134.50 for the privilege of bringing home my angel Duncan. That covered the cost of his neutering, his rabies shot, kennel cough and the de-worming he had to had from living on the streets after he escaped from his "captors" who had left a collar on him so tight that it grew into his neck and he still has scars.
    I would gladly have paid 3 x that amount if necessary to make him mine.
    People gladly pay hundreds, if not thousands more, for purebreds. What makes mutts any less valuable? Because you can't brag to your friends?
    If he can't afford the fee, he can't afford to have to have a dog. I have spent well over $500 in the last year just on food alone.
    I just added up his vet bills for the year I have had him and they total $951.00. His checkup for his shots and refills on heartworm and frontline was $210.
    This man needs to get a grip...not a living creature that depends on him for life, love and happiness. I can only hope he doesn't have children.

Drake's adoption fee was $60.00. I would have paid even more if I had to. People who really care for their animals know what a bargain they are getting. I spend $200.00 getting Chab (the chow lab mix I rescued) and will be paying over $120.00 getting Roxey up to date on her shots, etc...

Ignorance just drives me crazy.

You all feel exactly as I do! I was so happy to see the response to that man's ignorance. The dog really was 'lucky' to not be adopted by that man! How can you put a price on a best friend? Most of the shelters in my area ask for a fee of $65, but I just found this one that is very close to me and, though it is slightly higher, look what they offer.
    Our adoption fees are:
    $100.00 for dogs
    $85.00 for cats.

This fee includes the following for all animals:
    A general health examination by trained staff.
    Treatment for internal & external parasites.
    Spay/Nueter.
    Home Again Microchip for permanent identification.
    In addition, all dogs receive:
    DA2PPC vaccination.
    Bordetella vaccination.
    Heartworm test if over 6 months of age.

I guess that man has no idea what a trip to the vet's can cost for all of these things. I doubt that if he ever does get a dog he will bother seeing to it that his dog gets veterinary care. He will probably feel it is too expensive.

Our recent visit to the vet (2 dogs) for yearly shots, fecal testing, and exam cost $180.00. They forgot to charge for the Bordetella vaccinations, so that will be added on as well. That also did not include the heart worm test and pills which we did early in the year. Anybody who thinks that they shouldn't pay for a mutt better wake up and smell the coffee, because responsible dog ownership does not come cheap. I think it is good to charge for the very reason it can eliminate some of the adopters who do not have the best interest of the animal at heart.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France