Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Insane barking... Update: Problem solved..NOW disscussing feedings/crating/etc on pg4

Insane barking... Update: Problem solved..NOW disscussing feedings/crating/etc on pg4

Mr. Biggle just wont stop. We had no idea his barking was as bad as it was. When we are gone, he barks almost non-stop & is PISSING off the neighbours to the point they threatened to call the cops on us & report us to the complex.

We are now crate trainning him, as he keeps peeing & pooping everywhere & he'll bark non-stop at night. Even when the crate is in the guys room, he barks & barks & barks... He cannot be free in the bedroom as he'll pee & poop everywhere.

We need to fix this issue somewhat quickly, as we don't want to be forced to get rid of Mr. Biggles or fined.

I know this is a HORRIBLE sounding divice, but is it as bad as it sounds??
    Shock Collar

The reviews are lacking, so I don't know what to think. But we're getting kind of desperate to the point we'll try nearly anything.

PLEASE advise
    Last edited by king2005; 01-23-2007 at 12:33 PM.

Do a search for separation anxiety - then work at the root of the problem, the shock collar will probably do no good without working on WHY he's barking.
    I've Been Frosted

Insane barking needs to stop ASAP before the cops are called!

I for sure understand what you are going thru.. I have a Ausi that is the same way.. I bought one of those collars too.. It is all still in the box unused.. Just couldnt bring myself to ever put it on her.. So what I do is go out with her when she is barking & play ball or run around the yard with her.. Its gets her tired and she has forgot what she was barking at && its good exercise for Mom here..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Quote Originally Posted by Karen
    Do a search for separation anxiety - then work at the root of the problem, the shock collar will probably do no good without working on WHY he's barking.
    I read a website about separation anxiety, & he does 2 of the 3 actions... He pees & poos & barks non-stop... Luckly he doesn't have the 3rd (distructive).

It said it can take up to 3 weeks to solve the problem, but I fear our neighbours wont put up with it for that long.

Has anyone ever tried talking to upset neighbours about a dogs separation anxiety(barking) & that its being worked on but can take several weeks to solve? (they are Polish if that means anything)

You can always try. Explain separation anxiety, and what you are doing to stop it for the long term. It cannot hurt at this point. Also explain that you didn't know at first that he was barking while you were gone, and that you were horrified to realize he was. The explanation and apology, coupled with a plate of cookies or a few flowers, might buy you enough time to work this out with Mr. Biggles.
    I've Been Frosted

A chewy / rawhide treat in with him, a blanket over the top of his crate, a sweatshirt with your scent on it in with him.

Rescue Remedy to calm him until the training takes effect.

Just a few thoughts; I have not had to deal with this myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen
    You can always try. Explain separation anxiety, and what you are doing to stop it for the long term. It cannot hurt at this point. Also explain that you didn't know at first that he was barking while you were gone, and that you were horrified to realize he was. The explanation and apology, coupled with a plate of cookies or a few flowers, might buy you enough time to work this out with Mr. Biggles.
    Chad & I love to bake, so cookies, a sorry note + info & a chat is deffently a go for tomorrow!!

I hope this works.

Great ideas from Freedom, one more I thought of would be a kong filled with something he really enjoys. That helps a lot of dogs. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom
    A chewy / rawhide treat in with him, a blanket over the top of his crate, a sweatshirt with your scent on it in with him.

Rescue Remedy to calm him until the training takes effect.

Just a few thoughts; I have not had to deal with this myself.
    Covering the crate will be ok? I feared he wouldn't be able to get enough air or something. But I'll try it for sure.

With the shirt thing, should we each (there are 3 of us) put a shrt in the crate, or just one of us?

I'll stop at Petsmart to see if they have any Rescue Remedy (I recall hearing about it here before.. will google it in a few to get more info)

Thanks for the help everyone

I think you have gotten many great ideas, and they should work! The cookies,a nd a chat should work great! as long as you explain that you just got te dog from the shelter, you never knew the porb existed, and that you are taking numerous steps to correct the problem! Let us know how it goes!
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

Throwing in the devils advocate here..

When I lived in town in a townhouse row, the dog on the end would bark all day as well.. Suddenly it stopped- .. One day I was out walking Hottie when I saw the dog in the window- realized the dog was barking but I could not hear it. I found out later the dog was "debarked".. ( NOW PEOPLE DO NOT HAVE A STROKE YET..).. Later I was talking to the owner, and at first I was outraged for such a procedure, until I heard the owners words. They were faced with getting rid of their dog- even moving before they dog still had problems when alone- after all failed attempts, but loving their dog, and wishing to keep the dog in their family, their vet debarked the dog.
    I had a dog that was debarked before- that way when I bought the dog- and it makes a raspy/almost whisper type bark- enough for some noise, but its silent. I am only tossing this out for one reason- training takes time- and I am not sure how much time you have. Also remember- this is a surgery and its permanent. Vets will do it if it means without it, the dog would loose their family. Its only done to save the " relationship" between the owner and dog. Most vets WILL NOT do this for someone that has 'a kennel' of dogs and want quiet- this is done to save the relationship to allow you to keep your dog and continue to work on the problem with seperation anxiety training- toys to keep busy and radios on for noise etc..
    I expect to get slammed for this idea- and only state it because the title " before the cops come"... etc.. You obviously love your dog very much- and I am trying to throw out another idea ..
    Other options such as dog day care etc are the first ideas that came to my mind- I am tossing out the last option.
    My daughter adopted a papillion- my daughter was getting complaints and although we were working on it, she got a final notice on her apartment. We looked into this. Luckily her schedule changed so basically the dog is never left, meanwhile training continued, and now he is a lovely little companion with no complaints- but it came awfully close. He was actually going to come to my house during the week...
    It is a surgical procedure. You will have to be home - or someone for 3 days with the dog to prevent barking while they heal. And needs to be done by a vet that has done this before so there is no scar tissue. And remember- barking is a form of communication so you need to consider this as well...
    ( now I am ducking behind under my table for the down fall to this post- but I refuse to delete it- its an option seldom done- seldom discussed- but assures that the dog owner relationship can continue as I have noooo idea how much you really mean the cops are coming...)

Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom
    When I lived in town in a townhouse row, the dog on the end would bark all day as well.. Suddenly it stopped- .. One day I was out walking Hottie when I saw the dog in the window- realized the dog was barking but I could not hear it. I found out later the dog was "debarked".. ( NOW PEOPLE DO NOT HAVE A STROKE YET..).. Later I was talking to the owner, and at first I was outraged for such a procedure, until I heard the owners words. They were faced with getting rid of their dog- even moving before they dog still had problems when alone- after all failed attempts, but loving their dog, and wishing to keep the dog in their family, their vet debarked the dog.
    I had a dog that was debarked before- that way when I bought the dog- and it makes a raspy/almost whisper type bark- enough for some noise, but its silent. I am only tossing this out for one reason- training takes time- and I am not sure how much time you have. Also remember- this is a surgery and its permanent. Vets will do it if it means without it, the dog would loose their family. Its only done to save the " relationship" between the owner and dog. Most vets WILL NOT do this for someone that has 'a kennel' of dogs and want quiet- this is done to save the relationship to allow you to keep your dog and continue to work on the problem with seperation anxiety training- toys to keep busy and radios on for noise etc..
    I expect to get slammed for this idea- and only state it because the title " before the cops come"... etc.. You obviously love your dog very much- and I am trying to throw out another idea ..
    Other options such as dog day care etc are the first ideas that came to my mind- I am tossing out the last option.
    My daughter adopted a papillion- my daughter was getting complaints and although we were working on it, she got a final notice on her apartment. We looked into this. Luckily her schedule changed so basically the dog is never left, meanwhile training continued, and now he is a lovely little companion with no complaints- but it came awfully close. He was actually going to come to my house during the week...
    It is a surgical procedure. You will have to be home - or someone for 3 days with the dog to prevent barking while they heal. And needs to be done by a vet that has done this before so there is no scar tissue. And remember- barking is a form of communication so you need to consider this as well...
    ( now I am ducking behind under my table for the down fall to this post- but I refuse to delete it- its an option seldom done- seldom discussed- but assures that the dog owner relationship can continue as I have noooo idea how much you really mean the cops are coming...)
    This idea was going to be our absolute last resort (if we got a final notice kind of thing).

We honestly have no idea how serious the neighbours are about calling the cops (we don't know them)... We have only lived in this townhouse complex for 2 weeks & we've had the dogs 1 week.

We refuse to put the dogs through the shelter BS again. People have adopted these 2 in the past & returned them (so we were told). BUT we also can't loose our home, as we cannot afford to pick up & move again & saddly we have to come first, but will fight hard to correct the dogs & keep them in our family.

We're just all really stressed out because of this, but we're trying.

Honey- you have the right to keep your dogs.. Complexes are hard, and I know it can get serious real fast. It is a option..
    Now remember- this doesnt SOLVE the inward problem. The dog is still anxious when you leave but it does solve the problems with the neighbors. YOu will still need to work with things so the dog learns to relax when you are gone- but it does allow you to keep the relationship.
    I know you love your dogs-..

Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom
    Honey- you have the right to keep your dogs.. Complexes are hard, and I know it can get serious real fast. It is a option..
    Now remember- this doesnt SOLVE the inward problem. The dog is still anxious when you leave but it does solve the problems with the neighbors. YOu will still need to work with things so the dog learns to relax when you are gone- but it does allow you to keep the relationship.
    I know you love your dogs-..
    I know its not going to solve Mr. Biggles problem, but it'll give us time to work on that (only if things get that bad, I hope they don't) in a proper manor... I still vote no to the procedure, as we like when they bark at the door, as we live in a not so nice Getto (6 murders last year, 5 were gang member shoot outs), so they'll keep creeps away from our home (even though the dogs are harmless, creeps don't know that).

At lunch time I'm going to petsmart to buy some of that rescue remedy.. Both dogs will get it, so Bear will be relaxed too, as when Mr. Biggles gets worked up, she gets stressed & poops on the floor (but not nearly as bad as Mr. Biggles, she'll try to hold it & will only poop a little at a time).

I just need to call a vet to see if the rescue remedy can be mixed with Bears Hypothyroid medication.. Can never be too safe, I don't want there to be a toxic mix or something.

There will probably be people here who will get on me for it, but I DID use a shock collar with my rottie/aussie, Rosie. She barked a lot, especially at night. She was fine as a puppy, but started barking as an adult. We worked really hard at trying to train her out of it, but still found myself getting up at 1 am or 2 am and spending an hour quieting her down. This went on for months. So we did resort to a shock collar. I used it on me first, and it did surprise you with a shock, but it didn't "hurt". You have to train them with the collar. Ours came with a video on how to train. Using it solved the barking problem quickly. The one we used had a progressive shock, so it started out very mild. if the dog kept barking, it got stronger. The most I ever heard her bark in a row was twice. After a while, all I had to do was strap it on her (which I did every night) without turning it on, and she knew to be quiet. She also got to know that "Quiet, no bark" meant no barking. I always rewarded her being quiet with lavish attention & treats.

I would certainly invest in a shock collar (ours was about $75.00) before I'd consider de-barking a dog- that seems "shocking" to me.