Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dalmatians, got any photos or stories?

Dalmatians, got any photos or stories?

I love the breed, and would love to own one in my future.
    I've read a good deal on Dals but would love to read some personal experiences. and pictures can't hurt!

Not to forget our little foster dog Velma Dinkley!

No pictures here, and the only story I have is a friend of mine had a beautiful dalmation years ago. She just loved the kids in the house (and I've heard they are not good with children). Unfortunatley, they had to find a new home for her, because no matter what they tried (and they were renting, so were limited) they could not keep her in the backyard. They didn't want her to get in the road and get hurt....or worse.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I've always loved dalmatians too! I've never owned one, but my mom's friend use to have a female named Pongo. She was pretty, but they ended up having to give her away, because she got to where she would snap their at the time 4 year old daughter.
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

I love Dalmatians, they're one of my very favourite breeds. If it wasn't for their smooth coat, I'd love to have a liver female some day. All of the well bred Dals I've ever met and known have all been super sweet (but aloof), highly intelligent dogs. Very devoted to their owners. I can't find any of my own pictures of Dalmatians at the moment though, sorry.

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

The Dal I fell in love with as a kid was also given up, however it was After a huge flood in Houston in 2001. she suffered mentally, and began destroying the house with anxiety. they had her for a long time, as the other two they once had. So many people don't read up on issues with Dalmatians. They aren't usually good with small children, and need more time with the family than without.

why don't you like the short hair? just curious.

Not to forget our little foster dog Velma Dinkley!

why don't you like the short hair? just curious.
    I just prefer long haired dogs is all. I live with shorthaired dogs (and one longhaired dog) and don't like the shedding of the short hair as it gets stuck in everything (including skin) and bothers my allergies. Dals shed worse than most other breeds too, so that's why I probably won't get one even though I love them.

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

One of my most favorite things in the world.
    http://www.freewebs.com/orinocodals/
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=yavkBP1KhFE
    I can't talk about mine right now.

Niņo & Eliza

Lucky and Caleb

My ex and I had these two dogs when my son was only about 1, Scott loved Caleb (male) the best, but both dogs were very good with him. They were always careful when he was near.
    YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TO MANY FRIENDS

My neighbors had a liver female named misty. She was so overweight my dad didn't know what she was when she wandered ino our yard one day, lol. She was soooo sweet but they didnt take good care of her. The family had 5 kids and no one ever noticed if she was already fed, so she just ate ALL the time was was very overweight. She was old and sick, but theydidn't take her to a vet. Eventually they just had her put down. HOW SAD! Beforethat, they got aother dog. Her name was Shilo, also a dal, and they adopted her from a shelter in Indiana. Her story was so sad, its amazing she can still love people. She was originally trained as a show dog, then abused and locked in a warehouse with no food or water. She still has scars from the open sores she got from the hard floor. She bounced back really fast, though. If you run towards her and yell, she sinks into herself and either snaps or runs. My neighbors 4 year old brother did just that and had to get stitches in his lip. They were going to get rid of her, but like everything else in that house, never got around to it. I love dalmations! They aren't my favorite breed, but they're close. I prefer (a)German Sheperds, (b)border collies or (c) golden retrievers. I still love dalations, though. Especially Shilo.
    in on the joke and i cant stop laughing

I have two Dals. They are quite different in nature, but they both have the Dally ways.

They LOVE and HAVE to be part of the family. You cannot leave them outside all the time, day and night - (mind you, most dogs don't like that). ANYWAY, my two are inside if I am home, and love it.
    They have to be exercised, walked, something everyday, or they get abit naughty.

My male LOVES everyone - he is a social butterfly. Doesn't mind kids, dogs, people, anything (except CATS), not sure why.
    My female AVOIDS everyone, except me and hubbie. She will make friends, but she has to do it on HER terms, in her own time. She will simply walk away from you when you try to befriend her, but ignore her and she comes right on over.
    She is not fond of kids (mainly because they RUN UP to her) and she doesn't like that.

They are beautiful, but are a lot of work. They just love to be near you, and you have to be prepared for that.
    M!
    "No dog is born either vicious or friendly, but rather a blank slate that is moulded, for better or worse, by the owner."

Captain, your male is an example of the more modern temperament. A result of breeding for pets and show not working ability over the years, yet still great dogs.

Niņo & Eliza

I have a Dalmation mix. He is great. We rescued him from a puppy mill distributor. He is a wonderful dog. His name is Scruff....

Sometimes he thinks he is a cat and takes their toys!

Here he is watching our rescue cats play.

What a handsome boy!!

Scruff and my son Austin...they are best friends.

Just saying "HI".

Scruff and Dave, just laying around.

"The dog represents all that is best in man." Etienne Charlet

www.rornfp.org

Ive been reading posts on this forum for a while but this one caught my attention so I had to register and reply! =)

My family's first, and only, dog was a pure bred dalmatian. Pepper came from the humane society when she was... 6 or 7 I believe. She lived to be 14, had to be put down jan 05 due to untreatable cancer/dementia/incontinence.. It was hard since she was such a great dog. As I sit here and write this, I still look at her doggie paw made of plaster and tear up.. ahhh! =)

She had been hit by a car before we got her, so she had one lame leg.. which never really affected her life until she was older and started to get arthritis. She was the best dog.. but of course she thought she belonged in our beds! I always let her sleep with me and she would stay right next to me, under the covers, all through the night.

I believe I was 13 and my brother was 9ish when we got her and man.. she'd but up with anything! We dressed her up in our clothes and she'd just walk around like nothing was going on. We'd take her out in out boat on the Mississippi River and she'd just sit back and relax.. and go for the occassional swim too.

She had two blue eyes, but was not deaf or blind, contrary to what anyone says about blue eyes = deaf or blindness. My mom says that she snapped at a little kid that ran by her ONCE. Other than that, she never showed any aggression towards anyone! My mom took her to one set of obedience classes and from then on she was great. She'd stay in our yard (which had no fence) when we'd let her out to potty. She'd go do her business.. run around and explore and then she'd come back and wait by the door until someone let her in. She soon learned to scratch at the door when she was ready to come in. She'd put her face in the window and wait. But if we weren't quick enough.. we'd hear a 'scratch scratch' at the door.

We NEVER crated her. As she got older, we had baby gates put up to keep her in the kitchen because she'd just go when she had to -- due to the dementia. She never chewed/ate/destroyed anything. She also didn't like balls, or any other toys except the tug-o-war ropes. She learned sit, stay, lay down, shake (with both paws), roll over, and her special trick -- spin! She came with this one... You could move a treat in a circle above her and shed scoot around in a circle on her butt.. it was so funny!

I could just ramble on about her forever. I guess since I was the one who fell in love with her while volunteering there.. so it would make sense. Big change now, I have two dogs with my partner, a boxer/pit (we believe) mix and a rot/blue healer mix. Pepper was such a different type of dog than them... wow. Id definitely recommend one.. I don't know much about the puppy part of their lives but the adult part is awesome! =)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pepper.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	33366   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PepperOne.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	33367   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PepperTwo.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	33368  

I didn't see this mentioned yet, but Dals do have a tendency to get bladder stones. Also, they shed moderately year-round, much like a smooth coat JRT.

Oh yea.. good point. Pepper shedded something awful. White hairs EVERYWHERE! =)