Thread: Fleas???

Fleas???

Cloey has black tiny things on her fur. I have seen some fleas on her, but I am wondering if they are flea eggs. I try picking them off, but there are a lot on there. I know it isn't dirt though. What do think they could be?

It is probably what is called "flea dirt" which is actually flea feces composed of blood they digested (I know... ICK!). If you pick off the specks and put them on a wet paper towel, they will spread into small blood drops (ICK again!).

Is Cloey on any kind of flea prevention? I bathe my fosters who are too young for flea prevention in tearless baby shampoo. I rub the shampoo in then hold them in a washcloth for a few minutes to drown the fleas out. When I am rinsing the kitten off, I will pick off any moving fleas I see. I know, I know... ICK!!!!
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Without seeing her, I have no idea what is in her fur. I would suggest bathing her immediately in lemon fresh dawn. If is is flea related, you don't want to wait!

I know, i don't want to wait. That is why tomorrow I am going to the story to get the best flea prevention they have. Cloey is now about 13 weeks, is that to young to use flea prevention stuff? And yes, I do bathe, and when see fleas, I try to get them, but they are too fast.

Aly, you were right, that is flea dirt. I did the wet paper towel thing. Yukkkkk!!!! I am going to get flea replent tomorrow right away.

I use advantage on my three cats. The package says it can be used on kittens as young as 8 weeks old. This will kill 98-100% of the adult fleas within a 12 hour period. You need to get it at the vets though. Good luck.

If you are going to the store, get a flea comb too. This will help you get to the places where the fleas hide - in the deepest fur and most difficult to reach places. The comb will help remove the dirt, and give you an idea of the live fleas that are lurking.

One place to comb carefully is back by the um, er, "output" places and under the tail. Also around the neck, because the kitty can't lick there.

As for catching or killing the fleas you find, one way is to wash them away under running water. Pick them up between your fingers and let the water sweep them away... Yes, this wastes water, but it also gets them away bfore they jump off your fingers and get on you or back on the kitty.

Good luck - you can expect to battle these critters for several days - don't give up!
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Any stray fleas I ever found on my cats (which aren't many since we use Advantage), I've caught and pinched their little flea heads off with my nail...... then I wash them down the drain.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Yes, we use Advantax...it works really well....we even use it on our bunnies. The flea comb works great too...gets rid of the yucky things.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...