Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: We Lost Our Home

We Lost Our Home

On December 27th me, DH and our two daughters were sitting at home when the fire alarm went off. DH ran to the second floor and found a large fire in an apartment. He kicked the door in and was quickly met by black smoke. The fire started at 1:15 PM and was just in that one apartment. Not even an hour later, the fire had spread to the apartments next to it. I literally threw my three cats out the patio door and DH got Bailey out. Me and the girls went to my Mothers house and waited anxiously for an update. The fire destroyed 10 apartments, and water and smoke damaged 20.

Luckily we were on the very bottom on the opposite end the fire started. The fire burned for four hours before they managed to put it out. 30 meters of the roof caved in and there is 1000's of liters of water throughout the building, again, ours wasn't affected. 5 people were injured with one in serious but stable condition. Three cats and one dog perished in the fire, there may be more but they're not saying yet.

Me, DH, the girls and Sebastian are at my Moms. Amadeus is still loose outside, Augustus is with a friend and Bailey is staying at a vet clinic. We don't have a home anymore, we can't go back. I thank god that I have such wonderful parents, they have done so much for us.

We need to find a rental fast, and unfortunately, finding one that will allow Bailey is proving to be rather difficult.

Please pray for us, we don't want to have to part with Bailey.

Here is a link to the video of the fire...

http://www.canada.com/globaltv/bc/index.html

Scroll down until you see Surrey Apartment Fire

DH is the guy in the plaid jacket, glasses and hat - he was on almost every news channel because he stayed until the fire was put out making sure nobody broke into our apartment and took our stuff.

Here is a news report...

Fire 'devastating for so many people'
    Three residents, two firefighters injured in 'very stubborn' apartment blaze

Glenda Luymes, The Province
    Published: Thursday, December 28, 2006

SURREY - Five people, including two firefighters, were rushed to hospital yesterday after a Surrey apartment complex burst into flames.

Fire crews used ladders to rescue two men from a third-floor balcony and carried out an elderly woman trapped inside the burning building. All three residents suffered smoke inhalation. The two firefighters were injured by falling debris.

"It was a very stubborn fire," said Surrey deputy fire Chief John Caviglia. "Once it got into the void between the ceiling and the roof, it was tough to stop it."

More than 100 people from 65 suites were evacuated as the fire ripped through the two top floors of the wood apartment on Hall Road, near King George Highway and 72nd Avenue. More than 75 firefighters from Surrey and Delta responded to the call at 1:16 p.m.

Many residents, shocked and upset, were forced to spend last night with relatives, while emergency social services opened a nearby seniors' centre for people with nowhere to go.

Some residents may never return.

"It was right above my place. I don't know if there will be anything left," said Elaine Gray, clutching her dog Trissie in one hand and her purse in another. "This is all I have. I don't know what to do."

Gray said she was out on her patio yesterday afternoon when she heard the residents in the suite above her fighting.

"I heard something like broken glass and someone throwing things," she said.

Gray called the property manager, who told her there was a slight smell of smoke coming from the unit but no evidence of a fire.

An hour later, the apartment's fire alarm began to ring.

"I grabbed my dog and went out the back. I could see the flames coming from their patio door when I got out," she said.

While Gray was speaking, a friend came to take her to spend the night at her home. The familiar face was enough to make Gray burst into tears.

"I can't just believe it," she sobbed.

Caviglia said 30 suites were directly damaged by the fire -- 20 by smoke and water and 10 by fire.

Firefighters pulled down part of the ceiling to stop the flames from spreading farther, but expected to be on scene through the night to prevent flare-ups. While crowds of displaced residents gathered on the lawn outside the apartment, the ruined building, part of its roof completely gone, continued to smoke, with flames periodically bursting from the roof.

Melissa Neilson helped distribute hot chocolate and food from a nearby bingo hall to the tired, cold crowd. Although she was also evacuated, her suite is in a separate apartment building and is likely fine. Her eight-year-old daughter was one of the first people to see the blaze.

"She was playing at the playground and she saw smoke," said Nielson. "She came running to the house, telling me to call the fire department."

By the time Nielson did, the building was glowing with flames.

The fire alarm alerted Shawn and Natalie Townsend to the blaze. They live in the apartment building, but are hoping their suite was far enough from where the fire began to be safe.

"There's always false alarms here, so I went and checked it out first," said Shawn. "The door felt hot and when I opened it, there was nothing but smoke."

Natalie woke their young son, who was taking a nap, and the family fled.

"I'm devastated. I'm angry. I'm sad. I'm worried about the people that were injured," she said. "This is an old building -- I don't know if it was up to the proper fire code. I don't know if anything in the building is up to code."

Louise Fehr came home from work to find the building in flames -- and her dog Lilly still inside.

"I don't know what to do. I can't go inside. I just hope she's OK," she said.

Janice Welsh said she had heard three cats and one dog had been killed by the smoke.

"This is devastating for so many people. It's a terrible, terrible thing to happen," she said.

© The Vancouver Province 2006

AMADEUS AUGUSTUS SEBASTIAN THEODORE

OMG!!!!! How terrifying!! I am so glad that you, your family, and the critters all made it out safely!! I sure hope you can find an aprtment soon! Prayers are coming your way!!
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

I cannot believe this happened!! I hope you and your family find a home and are able to take Bailey with you.
    And to think it may have been caused by a disgruntled tenant. That's so sad.
    You and your family are in my thoughts.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

You Are In My Prayers!

72nd & King George.....my God, I'm just over the bridge in New West.
    I'm going to PM you my contact information. If there is anything I can do, please let me know. In the meantime, I'm going to scout around and see what I can donate. I know that I have a couple of pillows and perhaps a blanket... This is such a shock and I'll be watching the 11pm news to see the report.

Prayers on the way.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

I am so, so sorry.

I saw that on the news and the first person I thought of was you for some reason (simply because I know you live in an apartment in Surrey). I was hoping that it wasn't your apartment building though.

I hope you and your family will be able to find a home quickly - one that allows Bailey.

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

I'm so sorry for you.
    Please accept my thoughts and prayers.
    Hugs from across the miles.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

I'm so very sorry! You said you have had to move out, but are your belongings gone as well? I was a bit confused by your post. I know it is bad enough to have to fine alternate housing in such a hurry, but I am wondering if you've lost all of your furnishings and clothes as well! Please let us know and keep us updated!

Prayers for you and your family, and that you are able to keep your Bailey! Maybe a friend or family member could watch him for you for a while?

Hugs,
    Kim
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

I'm so very sorry!

I'll be praying for you.
    "To all the dogs I've loved before...Who traveled in & out my door...I'm glad you came along...I dedicate this song to all the dogs I've loved before"

Everything we own is safe. The fire didn't make it to our end of the building, but nobody will be able to live in there. The entire building will be demolished, or condemned. There is 4 million dollars worth of damage. I will update you when I find out more information.

AMADEUS AUGUSTUS SEBASTIAN THEODORE

How devastating! I am so sorry! I'm so happy you and your family are safe, though.

I'm wishing you all the best in finding a new home to call your own as soon as possible. If there's anything I can do, don't hesitate to ask!

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

OMG! That's horrible...

I'm actually crying right now. I wish there was something i could do for you!

I don't know if they have it in Canada, but don't be afraid to ask for help on a FreeCycle group. (I think you'd have better luck looking through Yahoo Groups main search than through FreeCycle's main site. You can also type in you area than "Recycle" There was a huge legal dispute about a year ago and some groups chose to seperate from the actual FreeCycle.)

I know a place that rents to pet owners is the main concern. But every little bit of help helps. Who knows, maybe someone would rent to you free for a month or two while you all get back on your feet. :- )

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

*** Links *!*!*!

I hope something on here helps...

http://www.101apartments.com/rent/Br...bia/Surrey.asp

http://www.canadarentals.net/city-view.cfm?CityID=282
    Large 3 Bedroom Suite, Recently Reno'd - Available Dec 1 :
    Posted: 25-Nov-06
    - Recently renovated (New carpets, tile floors, paint, new appliances, refinished cabinetry)
    - Wood-burning fireplace
    - Carport and driveway
    - Front deck
    - Huge fenced backyard
    - Shared laundry
    - Located in Guildford area, Near transit, shopping, schools, parks
    - N/S, pets negotiable
    - $1000 + utilities
    Surrey, BC
    Jennifer
    [email protected]

I know most of us here would think of this, but just in case...
    http://www.petfriendlyrentals.ca/renters/petresume.php

http://www.petfriendlyrentals.ca/renters/petresume.php

http://vancouver.craigslist.org/apa/

http://www.vancouver-bc.com/Accommodations/PetsAllowed/

http://www.vancouver-bc.com/Classified/PropRent/

Large Executive Kits 2 Bedroom Garden Suite with Hot Tub **Pet Friendly**
    Steps from the Beach and the convenient shops of West 4th, this upscale two Bedroom plus flex space has been recently udated with new appliances, hardwood floors, crown molding and paiunt. The unit has a rare wood burning fire place and a very large newly renovated kitchen with lots of cabinet and countertop space. In addition to a new beautiful large 700 sq f. paio, you can also enjoy a private 6 person hot tub situated directly outside the master bedroom. This part of the patio is completely covered from rain and is extremely private. The patio has a back gate with convient access to parking. In the master bedroom, you will find a walk-in closet with an entrance into a newly renovated bathroom. There is storage unit in the basement in addition to bike locker and a large comman Recreational Room where you will find a pool table, darts and a kids play area. The unit is available for February 1st, 2007 but dates can be slightly flexible. Pets allowed. For a private viewing this Sunday please e-mail.
    Click to send an email

Executive 2 Bedroom Garden Level Suite with Hot Tub **Pet Friendly**
    Steps from Kits Beach and the convenient shops and restaurants of West 4th. This garden level suite has been recently renovated with new floors, paint, appliances and crown moldings. This large 2 bedroom unit has additional 9x9 flex space plus a goreous 700 sq. ft garden patio. Part of the patio is covered and this is where you will find a full functioning, private 6 person hot tub. The patio also has a back gate which has convenient access to parking. Please e-mail for additional photos or private viewing.
    Call for more information: 604-734-8229
    Click to send an email

http://www.rentalsbc.com/advancesearch.html
    http://www.rentalsbc.com/1t1m3listingdetail486.htm
    Exclusive family oriented Fleetwood subdivision. Close to churches, parks, recreation centres, libraries. Ground level suite with private driveway & gated fence all around property. Ideal for children & pets. Utilities shared according to number of people. 6 appliances fridge, range, washer, dryer, dishwasher, garbeurator. Tiled kitchen floor & dining area. Nice.
    Name Art Santos Phone 604 575 2542

http://www.sherlock-homes.ca/

http://vancouver.kijiji.ca/
    http://vancouver.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAd?AdId=7984941

http://www.canadianhomes4rent.com/

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

I'm at a loss for the Right Words~

How horrible!!!!!

I am so sorry that so many people have been through such a devastating experience .

My Thoughts and Prayers go Out to You ~
    Rest in Peace Corinna~ Well Never Forget You~

I"VE BEEN FROSTED

How awful, I'm so sorry. I will pray for all of you. I hope you find a home soon and your other kitty Amadeus. There just has to be a place that will take Bailey. {hugs}
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla