Thread: Too Many Freaking BYB's

Too Many Freaking BYB's

I'm serious, the classifieds in my local newspaper have 10 ads for puppies, 8 of which are "ready in time for the holidays" or something similar. I'm expecting that I'll see 20 "free to good home" ads by March. People will never learn, will they? This is why X-Mas gets me down a little.

*sighs* i know what you mean..there are so many Bulldog and Chihuahua puppies being advertised here as "The perfect Christman Gift"..its so upsetting

I want to sue Best Buy for showing it's ok by putting a lab puppy underneather the tree in their comercial.

Niņo & Eliza

Quote Originally Posted by Suki Wingy
    I want to sue Best Buy for showing it's ok by putting a lab puppy underneather the tree in their comercial.
    So true...

There's a pet supply store around here that has a huge sale that started last week, every year. And they are big promoters of rescue!?!? I didn't say anything, because I'm probably getting a Brittany pup in late January, which means LOTS of business with them, but it really cheesed me off. If I owned a pet supply store, I'd double my prices on puppy-related items at X-mas, and tell ppl not to get a pup, to wait until at least they took down their tree.

=( Sadly, 10 is incredibly few. The Sacramento Bee has atleast 200 puppy ads!!!

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

i hate to say this but.. I was one of those people just a while ago... My lab got pregnant by accident (we were even schedualed for a spay that same week!!!) when she escaped and bred with our naibours Shepherd... I was really mad/sad/conserned/ but kinda excited .... And sure enough we had 8 little pups born on Aug 17th, about 5 had homes right off the bat (to friends and family) but we did have to put an add in the paper for the few who didn't find homes right away.... most of those people, I'm sure put ads in the paper to make money, but I wasn't one of them.
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Oh yes and it depresses me so much. I am finding more and more designer breeds in the ads..... There is a thing called low cost spay and neuter people, I guess some people think they can make big bucks! Just recently I saw 6 week old puppies (golden retriever) in the paper for $250. Way to young to be away from their mother.
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

Quote Originally Posted by Flatcoatluver
    Oh yes and it depresses me so much. I am finding more and more designer breeds in the ads..... There is a thing called low cost spay and neuter people, I guess some people think they can make big bucks! Just recently I saw 6 week old puppies (golden retriever) in the paper for $250. Way to young to be away from their mother.
    i waited till my pups were 8-13 weeks befor selling mine

You should see all the ad's on Kijiji a site for Canadian people to post ad's.
    There are a bunch of ad's of people looking for other dogs to breed to their MIX breed dog
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

Quote Originally Posted by buttercup132
    You should see all the ad's on Kijiji a site for Canadian people to post ad's.
    There are a bunch of ad's of people looking for other dogs to breed to their MIX breed dog
    yeah thats just rediculas

It's true. I looked in our classifieds today. Normally, I would see a couple "Puppies for Sale ads" and the rest would be with local rescues 'advertising' the dogs they have for adoption. When I looked today, they had a buttload of the "ready for Christmas"; "great Christmas gift" etc. ads. Many of them were being sold at 6wks old for crazy prices. It was saddening...
    Sparrabeth- Never say we Die!

No matter what Ted and Terry wrote, Jack and Liz love each other.

We have over a page of puppy ads, daily, every day of the year.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

I don't think every ad in the paper is always a bad breeder. I'm sure there will be a time that I will have to place an ad in the paper..I certainly wouldn't say anything about it being a holiday present though.
    I've been BOO'd!

Oh, I forgot to mention, my paper has a distribution of about 10,000. 2 breeders were selling JRTs. I called one up for a lark, and he seemed to think that you could vaccinate against Legg-Perthes He didn't offer the information on Legg-Perthes, but when I asked if the dogs were tested, he said they were vaccinated, so he didn't have to test. IDIOT!!!. He also told me JRTs don't shed. There was 1 ad for Lhasas, 1 for Malti-Poos, 2 for Shih-Tzus, 1 legitimate ad for Goldens, 1 for Maltese (same phone # as malti-poos), and 2 for Cockers. The one cocker ad mentioned "rare exciting colors" but didn't say what they were. 1 ad that appeared to be legit, saying the Goldens were CKC Reg'd, Certified hips and eyes, and ready to go Jan. 9. 1 out of 10. Despicable.