Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The everything Thread

The everything Thread

Write anything you want about a pet you know or own and share a story!
    Last edited by #1Wolflover; 12-15-2006 at 09:15 PM.

The story of the devastation over the loss of my beloved Tori and reluctance to ever love another dog is too long to post here. Here's the beginning; the rest can be read by clicking on the link below. The ending is much happier than the beginning!

“Carol I have the perfect puppy for you!” “Thanks Pat, I appreciate it but I don’t want a puppy. I don’t think I ever want another dog. I can’t put myself through that heartache again”.

The National Specialty shows are always a great place to renew old friendships and make new ones. Pat and I had met a couple of years earlier at the German Shorthaired Pointer Club of America National Specialty Show in San Francisco. Tori our extremely promising 2-year-old dog had made his debut at this show and had attracted a lot of attention with his animated ring presence and excellent confirmation. The dog Pat had shown had impressed me with his near perfect performance as he gained even more points toward his OTCH. We became friends even though we lived at opposite ends of the country.

Tori was a product of a carefully planned breeding between our Champion female, Clover and a soon to be Dual Champion sire; whose accomplishments and career we’d been privileged to witness and take part in personally. Tori’s confirmation was as close to the standard as any breeder could possibly hope for and his bird finding abilities, trainability and eagerness to please were in the same category. A true dual champion in the making! The breeding that produced him was also our final breeding. All of our hopes and dreams as breeders were pinned on this “once in a lifetime” dog! After Tori’s litter was born, we’d made the decision that due to the increasing problem of unwanted pets; we would no longer be breeding GSP’s. Though we planned to remain active in competition with Tori.

While he was still in the whelping box, Tori and I developed a special bond. We became not only dog and owner but best friends!. We spent hours together every day in obedience and field training as the bond between us continued to grow. All we had to do now was continue his training and allow him to mature enough to finish his show championship. By then his field training would be complete and he’d move on to field trials where he would earn the coveted Dual Champion title as well as his indisputable title of beloved pet, companion and hunting dog!

Sadly this was not to be. At only 4 years of age and well on his way to the coveted Dual Champion title, Tori was diagnosed with a rare and always fatal disease. The months between the first symptoms and the final diagnosis were agonizing. It was unbearable to watch my formerly happy healthy pal suffer through bouts of illness and return to seemingly normal health, only to be stricken down again and again. Once the diagnosis was confirmed, there was no choice but to end his suffering.

As I held him in my arms while he drew his last breath, tears running down my cheeks onto his painfully thin and now horribly bloated body; I vowed I would never, never allow myself to become this close to any animal ever again!

The grapevine in the dog world is an active one! Breeders from all over called to offer their condolences, many of them offering to send me a puppy when I felt I was ready. My reply to all of them was the same! “Thanks, but I don’t want a puppy. I don’t think I ever want another dog. I can’t put myself through that heartache again”.

Howdy! The pup I didn't want!
    To train a dog you have to think like a dog!

wow what a heart warming story! was it your story or one you found? well if it's your story then I'd like to say I'm sorry about Tori! but in my opinion I think things happen for a reason, like if it hadn't been Tori's time to go then you would have never have meet Howdy!

Photos of Tori and Howdy!

Applesmom-

you need another gsp... ...

Quote Originally Posted by #1Wolflover
    wow what a heart warming story! was it your story or one you found? well if it's your story then I'd like to say I'm sorry about Tori! but in my opinion I think things happen for a reason, like if it hadn't been Tori's time to go then you would have never have meet Howdy!
    Thanks! It's mine and Tori's and Howdy's story for sure!

awwwwwwwwww there both so beautiful! what did you mean by you thought Howdy was a ugly puppy? He looks rather dashing if you ask me!!! lol Thanks for sharing your story and pics!!!!!!!!1

awwwwwwwwww there both so beautiful! what did you mean by you thought Howdy was a ugly puppy? He looks rather dashing if you ask me!!! lol Thanks for sharing your story and pics!!!!!!!!1
    LOL Do you see where his adult ears would just come down to the corner of his mouth? Well, when he came to me they could have touched the end of his nose--just like a basset hound. And he was all legs and feet.

Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom
    you need another gsp... ...
    Yeah! If I could just find an older one. I couldn't keep up with a young one now.

thats funny, lol, here you were expecting a beatiful pup and it looks like a basset hound mix! lol well he seems like such a well behaved doggie!

Here's a tale of one of Howdy's and my earlier adventures that was published in Dog Fancy magazine several years ago. There's also a link to a few of the photos we took while filming in Monument Valley.

When I took my novice obedience dog, "Howdy" a German Shorthaired Pointer to Monument Valley to appear in a Korean beer commercial--It turned into an adventure never to be forgotten.

Howdy's delight in his role, working through an interpreter, plus the magnificent scenery all created a memorable experience. The unexpected element of danger made
    It unforgettable!

I came home with a reinforced belief in obedience training, an increased respect for my amazing dog, and a long list of questions to ask next time!

Howdy had just obtained the first two legs toward his C.D. when I got a phone call from a local producer asking me if they could use Howdy in the commercial.

To continue click here

seems like you two have quite the adventures!!!!!! lol
    Last edited by #1Wolflover; 12-15-2006 at 09:16 PM.

" He isnt going to make it... sign the release"

Those words rang in my ears, as I held Hotties head in my arms. Tear streaming down my face... I said " what????" in total disbelief- not make what??" I said in a demanding voice. The vet said mrs. XXX he will not make it- the fracture we are sure has hit the spinal cord.
    My mind raced to the day- just a simple bark with borzoi bounce like a polarbear on ice- then screaming in pain. Yelling for my husband who was already flying up the stairs from the basement from the noise. The screams from him as we got him in the car, and I am frantically dialing on my cell as we drive down the mountain the emergency number to the emergency clinic over 20 miles away. The screams on and off out of my car as we drove- arriving at the clinic as I bail out of the car, yelling into the lobby- I NEED A VET- NOW PLEASE NOW... PLEASE NOW PLEASE NOW.. They come and get him on a streacher.. take him in- I am totally hysterical. My husband is fighting both his own tears and me.. After what seemed like an hour, they let us in. Hottie is fighting for breath with tubes every where- " he isnt going to make it- he needs to go the doctor states again. After minutes as they continue I get the word again- Mr. xxxx can we see you outside- then they come in... I get " honey- he has to go... do you want to stay... I replied outraged- NOOO- HE WILL MAKE IT.. I get several more " honey... come on... do you want to stay... followed by outraged NOOOOO'S... Finally the doctor says " okay we will keep him on medications but to let him suffer more than a few hours, is not good... My husband convinces me to come with him. As I leave Hottie. All the way home I leave every frantic message I can with all 6 vets at the office... They said they would call by 5pm with an update.. the call never came... I felt like I lost my best friend- unwilling to accept what happened but knowing they had said this for years that one day a fracture in his back would make him in invalid...
    The next morning, after crying all night- distraught with grief to the point of physically sick, the phone rings. Its my senior vet. He got my calls, didnt call the night before, because when they picked him up, he was not responding. All the words I remember was " We have Hottie- he is critical but there is a chance- do we have permission to treat him more than life saving care". Suddenly the world lifted off my shoulders- all but yelling into the phone " WHAT- SAY THAT AGAIN- as I hand the receiver to my husband to hear... I do not remember the trip off this mountain- My husband drove faster than a speeding jet. We got there to sign the permission to treat- and I got to see him. Weak and confused- I could see it his eyes- he would make it. Both of us, and the vet were crying ( I think he was crying because we were).. I sat in the lobby- my husband said waiting would make him crazy and went grocery shopping- bought way too much... Not thinking right himself.. finally after 3 hours- the vet came out- and said- " he will make it, but we have to see how much damage there is as far as his recovery. He may not be what he was- but he will make it..." Three days later he came home. Slow but proud, we took him out the ramp at the front of the house. Walking only on a leash.. By the end of the week he was getting his " sauce back.." and starting to boss the dogs around- by 3 weeks he was back. Weaker in voice, but back...
    Never give up on your dog- NEVER.... Luckily my vet didnt listen to signed papers- .. and have a good vet!

seems like you two have quite the adventors!!!!!! lol
    Tales of our adventures together could fill a book.

Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom
    Those words rang in my ears, as I held Hotties head in my arms. Tear streaming down my face... I said " what????" in total disbelief- not make what??" I said in a demanding voice. The vet said mrs. XXX he will not make it- the fracture we are sure has hit the spinal cord.
    My mind raced to the day- just a simple bark with borzoi bounce like a polarbear on ice- then screaming in pain. Yelling for my husband who was already flying up the stairs from the basement from the noise. The screams from him as we got him in the car, and I am frantically dialing on my cell as we drive down the mountain the emergency number to the emergency clinic over 20 miles away. The screams on and off out of my car as we drove- arriving at the clinic as I bail out of the car, yelling into the lobby- I NEED A VET- NOW PLEASE NOW... PLEASE NOW PLEASE NOW.. They come and get him on a streacher.. take him in- I am totally hysterical. My husband is fighting both his own tears and me.. After what seemed like an hour, they let us in. Hottie is fighting for breath with tubes every where- " he isnt going to make it- he needs to go the doctor states again. After minutes as they continue I get the word again- Mr. xxxx can we see you outside- then they come in... I get " honey- he has to go... do you want to stay... I replied outraged- NOOO- HE WILL MAKE IT.. I get several more " honey... come on... do you want to stay... followed by outraged NOOOOO'S... Finally the doctor says " okay we will keep him on medications but to let him suffer more than a few hours, is not good... My husband convinces me to come with him. As I leave Hottie. All the way home I leave every frantic message I can with all 6 vets at the office... They said they would call by 5pm with an update.. the call never came... I felt like I lost my best friend- unwilling to accept what happened but knowing they had said this for years that one day a fracture in his back would make him in invalid...
    The next morning, after crying all night- distraught with grief to the point of physically sick, the phone rings. Its my senior vet. He got my calls, didnt call the night before, because when they picked him up, he was not responding. All the words I remember was " We have Hottie- he is critical but there is a chance- do we have permission to treat him more than life saving care". Suddenly the world lifted off my shoulders- all but yelling into the phone " WHAT- SAY THAT AGAIN- as I hand the receiver to my husband to hear... I do not remember the trip off this mountain- My husband drove faster than a speeding jet. We got there to sign the permission to treat- and I got to see him. Weak and confused- I could see it his eyes- he would make it. Both of us, and the vet were crying ( I think he was crying because we were).. I sat in the lobby- my husband said waiting would make him crazy and went grocery shopping- bought way too much... Not thinking right himself.. finally after 3 hours- the vet came out- and said- " he will make it, but we have to see how much damage there is as far as his recovery. He may not be what he was- but he will make it..." Three days later he came home. Slow but proud, we took him out the ramp at the front of the house. Walking only on a leash.. By the end of the week he was getting his " sauce back.." and starting to boss the dogs around- by 3 weeks he was back. Weaker in voice, but back...
    Never give up on your dog- NEVER.... Luckily my vet didnt listen to signed papers- .. and have a good vet!
    wow thats sad but at the same time happy. How did your dog get hurt? I bet your happy to still have him!