Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lets talk turkey!

Lets talk turkey!

Actually lets talk recipes. I have been cooking the Thanksgiving dinner for 20 years now. I need some fresh ideas! I don't really want to go to the dreaded grocery store anymore but maybe some fresh ideas.

I need some ideas on the yams, I usually bake them like a regular potatoe, then peel them and mix them with butter and brown sugar and put the marshmellows on top and brown them.

I was thinking this year of using condensed milk in the regular mashed pototoes and the yams...does anyone else do this?

I always put the turkey in one of those plastic cooking bags...don't have to baste it and it always comes out pretty moist.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

May not be practical at the moment as they can get a bit expensive, but something to think about in the future... a turkey fryer!

We fry our turkey every year and it is absolutely scrumptious! So moist and flavourful.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

This will be my first year cooking Thanksgiving dinner alone, and I'm afraid that it's going to be a flop! Is cooking a turkey hard? I always thought it seemed so since my mom was in the kitchen all day long!
    Any ideas for an easy turkey would be most appreciated!

For regular mashed potatoes, I haven't used condensed milk, but I have used 1.5 cups buttermilk, half stick of butter, and a cup of parmesean cheese for yummy cheesy buttermilk potatoes!

**hugs**

Cooking a turkey is the easiest thing in the world. Just don't under cook it. My grandma's recipe calls for it to be stuffed. Cooked at 325oF for the correct amount of hours for the weight of the turkey. If you can wiggle a leg and it's loose then it is cooked long enough. I personally baste my turkey every 30 minutes for the entire cooking time (usually 5 hours).

My mother-in-law has started cooking her turkey upside down. The thought being that the juices stay in the breast.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

If you want a perfect turkey every time, do this:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci...6_8389,00.html

I kid you not BEST turkey and flavor ever. Even the leftovers were juicy and had flavor all throughout, days later. Even read the reveiws. The only thing I changed is I did not use the cinnamon or candied ginger, and i put a little water in the bottom of the shallow pan the turkey and rack was on, so the drippings didnt smoke when it was on 500 degrees for the 30 minutes. Oh also I used chicken broth instead of vegetable stock, since I had that on hand. Honestly you won't be sorry. I cooked an 18 pound bird for 3 hours. It's the sicence behind it that makes it work every time, but you probably don't want to hear about that LOL. But trust me, you won't have dry turkey in any way and the flavor infuses throughout the whole turkey, it's also really easy.

For the sweet potatoes or yams, sure use the evap milk, works great, and if your family likes nuts, mix pecans, little bit of butter and brown sugar to make a struesel, rather than the marshamallows. I had people who HATE yams say they actually loved them. They won't eat them unless I make them like that.

Have a great holiday!
    Last edited by Vela; 11-22-2006 at 01:00 PM.

Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!

I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008

Yum! Thanks for the tips!

Thanks everyone for the tips...Kay...the thought of me and a turkey fryer is scary beyond words...you have to know my history...I almost caught the house on fire barbequeing once
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

I never really cared for yams/sweet potaotes. My Mom always used to just boil them, cut in think slices and covered with a sweet glaze.
    But a few years she started making sweet potato casserole.
    YUM!!!

http://southernfood.about.com/od/swe...r/bl60414f.htm

Also a new twist on pumpkin pie I'm trying this year:

http://www.kraftfoods.com/main.aspx?...ecipe_id=54636
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Yum! That twist on pumpkin pie looks delicious! Thanks for this last-minute idea...I think I'm going to try it too since it looks pretty easy!

Quote Originally Posted by wolflady
    Yum! That twist on pumpkin pie looks delicious! Thanks for this last-minute idea...I think I'm going to try it too since it looks pretty easy!
    I know!! The BEST part of that pie..... 2 words... NO BAKE!!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

I've made that pie before, it's quite tasty. I don't like it AS much as others only because I don't care for "instant pudding" taste to things. But everyone else said it was great, and I thought it was okay (which for me is good since I don't usually like anything made with instant pudding like that). It's really easy too.

Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!

I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008

Quote Originally Posted by pitc9
    I know!! The BEST part of that pie..... 2 words... NO BAKE!!
    LOL, AMEN sister!

My sister(who can outcook Martha Stewart!) bastes her turkey with French salad dressing--it's delicious and very moist!

We now brine our turkey with Kosher salt for a day or two ahead of time like described in the Food Network recipe. It really helps the flavor and moistness.

Now here's a good idea from my MIL: Cook the turkey the day before. I'm cooking mine right now. Tomorrow, I'll have plenty time to slice the completely cooled turkey and then gently reheat in the microwave with a little broth.

If for some reason the turkey is undercooked, you can make up for it then. Since I've started this, I've not been worried so much about undercooking, so I've stopped overcooking! = Much better turkey!

It also leaves room in the oven for other things, such as a scalloped corn casserole, which I only make at Thanksgiving. (Recipe from my wonderful Aunt Betsy.)

My hubby makes candied sweet potatoes in the skllet (after I bake them). If you would like the recipe (from my grandmother), let me know. However, if you do all the cooking by yourself, it's probably not convenient.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
    Spoiled child, bad
    Spoiled cat, good

Quote Originally Posted by Glacier
    My sister(who can outcook Martha Stewart!) bastes her turkey with French salad dressing--it's delicious and very moist!

We thought about doing that this year, but decided against it and go with something that's already been tried with good results.

We inject our's with italian dressing and rub it with our favorite seasonings.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits