Thread: Parvo?

Parvo?

So this morning when I walked out of my house there was a very skinny Chihuahua sitting on my walkway. I really didn't have a good feeling about the dog, so I left him alone and called the Humane Society to pick him up. Well, they came and got him and called a few hours later to confirm that he tested positive for Parvo.

Here's my question, my dogs are both vaccinated against Parvo, but it still scares me. I know the virus can live outside a dog for months and is extremely contagious. Dogs that are tested positive are typically given a 50/50 chance of survival based on how quickly they are treated with fluids to help prevent dehydration.

Is there anything more than bleaching the entire walkway and the bottom of my shoes that I can do? I'll take the dogs out the back way for a while, but am worried that the Chihuahua might have gone to the bathroom on the lawn, or anywhere around the house.

Sounds like you have done everything you should...don't make yourself sick with worry...I just say that because I probably would too.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

in my experience Parvo mostly only get s to puppies or young dogs, and yours being vaccinated gives you more chance to not get it (some dogs get it even vaccinated but itīs rare, at leats where i live)

youīve done right about the bleachng thing, but about the yard and all, there are something you just canīt control, itīs like a sick dog was just at the dog park and you never know about that, so everyplace could be exposed to parvo without one knowing...........so itīs good to have them on to date with vaccines against that one in particular...........

besides itīs more deadly on young dogs or puppies.........and adult dogs may get it and show little to no symptoms..........or just a slight fever..........

anyway keep an eye on them, and hopefully nothing happens...((hugs)) for caring about your pooches health
    Corinnaīs Christmas Card Swap ī06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da Houseī10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Parvo is such an awful, horrible thing. No, not much more you can do than bleach the walkway-I would look around your yard for diarrhea/small poops and dispose of it if you find any. Your dogs are vaccinated, so I wouldn't be overly concerned. If one of your dogs seems to be "down in the dumps" or has a stressful day or something, I wouldn't bring them around that area, as the immune system might be weaker and therefore increasing the chance of parvo infection. Although remember that vaccines carry no guarantee that your dog won't get the virus, and if they start vomitting/diarrhea/lots of eye goop/lethargy, any of those, get them straight to a vet. And I wouldn't bring an unvaccinated dog or a puppy around that area either.

Quote Originally Posted by cmayer31
    So this morning when I walked out of my house there was a very skinny Chihuahua sitting on my walkway. I really didn't have a good feeling about the dog, so I left him alone and called the Humane Society to pick him up. Well, they came and got him and called a few hours later to confirm that he tested positive for Parvo.

Here's my question, my dogs are both vaccinated against Parvo, but it still scares me. I know the virus can live outside a dog for months and is extremely contagious. Dogs that are tested positive are typically given a 50/50 chance of survival based on how quickly they are treated with fluids to help prevent dehydration.

Is there anything more than bleaching the entire walkway and the bottom of my shoes that I can do? I'll take the dogs out the back way for a while, but am worried that the Chihuahua might have gone to the bathroom on the lawn, or anywhere around the house.
    Your dogs should be fine but if you are worried, get a yard sprayer and use per the amount of the container- half bleach half water and spray the yard. Advise anyone with puppies to not come over for a while unless they have all their shots.
    Keep us posted..

How sad. That poor pup.

I would ask all your questions of your vet about possible contamination.
    I would think since they are vaccinated, they would be alright.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Perhaps just notify anyone in the area with dogs that there was recently a parvo dog running loose.

My Visa caught parvo at 4 weeks -- had full fledged parvo when she was 5 weeks. Her parents had both been vaccinated for it and she was still nursing so she wasn't *supposed* to get it, but she and her littermates did. They got it from a puppy that the owner had returned because it was "sick." Turns out the puppy had just had a parvo shot and then developed the virus -- ten days later, Visa was the first to display symptoms, and then the rest of the litter. One male and one female died. Their breeder spent a great dela of money keepign the litter alive, so that's where the money theme came from. Credit Approved "Visa," Legal Tender "Cash," and IntheBlack "Amex."
    I've been BOO'd!

I have no idea how titers work and if they work for Parvo, but maybe it would give you peace of mind if your dogs got their titers? I don't do titers so I can't help you much, but this would definitely give you an idea of how immune your dogs are.

A titer will tell you if the dog IS immune, but not if it ISN'T immune. That's the only problem with titers. Since they've already been vaccinated for it though, I would titer before I vaccinated them again! It's likely they are fine.
    I've been BOO'd!

WOW WOLFSOUL- AND LOVE THE NAMES TOO of the litter.
    We use killed vaccines not modified live. Modified live can give the virus it is supposed to prevent. I can pm you the Dr.Dodds ( nationally known for immune problems) in dogs- her shot programs she uses. It is accepted in excellent vet clinics- and even my own vets office uses the same thing..

In the 80's

When parvo showed up, it was hitting the show circuits like wild fire. We were allllllllllll scared to death to take our dogs to shows as they had no vaccine for this. The AKC funded most of the research for the vaccine because NO ONE was going to shows. We alllllllllll had pans of bleach at our door steps outside if someone came to the house that also had dogs. They first came up with a modified live vaccine, later developed killed vaccine to do the job- but it was a frightening thing. Breeders were losing not just whole litters, but even the mother of puppies...
    *** EDIT- Wolfsoul- I also use holistic and what you described is right up Dr.Dodds way of looking at vaccines- I tried to respond back to your pm, but your box is full... lol.. Borzois are not autoimmune mediated in breed, but the shepherds could be- so that is when I got into this..