Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Pitbulls ??Aggression, Fact or Not???

Pitbulls ??Aggression, Fact or Not???

I grew up with the breed because thats all my dad wanted. The only way he would buy them was if they were registered. The problem is . I want one but my hsband has bought into all of the media hype about them. I have tried to explain its all in how they are raised but he is petrified. I was hoping that if he saw some positive responses on here it would help.. I would appreciate any responses.
    Heather

Have him play around on this site for a while http://www.understand-a-bull.com/BSL/AboutBSL.htm the "all dogs bite" page is an interesting one.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Hi Heather,

My name is Donna I own a pit bull, pit mix and and a ACD mix, all females and they got along great. I believe a lot of how a pit bull will turn out is how they are raised. Ebony (my pit bull) is a big old love bug. She absolutely loves anyone she meets. She is not dog aggressive at all towards my other two dogs. I started taking her out and about around people and other dogs when she was a pup we go out walking around other dogs all the time she does fine around them. My mom was the exact same was as your husband is, she bought into all the media hype, she was scared to death of pit bulls. Ebony has totally changed her mind about the breed. You really have to be top dog when you own a pittie and have the time to give them lots of exercise because they do have a ton of energy. Tell your husband if he would give a pittie a chance that he would love them and be hooked for life they are an amazing breed. Ebony had so much personality, she makes me laugh every day with her silly antics. What is it your husband is afraid of when it come to the pit bull? If I can help you with any more questions please ask. Show your husband these pictures. Ebony really is sweet as can be.

Thank you Kay for the beautiful sig!

"We can judge the heart of man by his treatment of animals"

~Find the seed at the bottom of your heart and bring forth a flower~

Myth!

Pit Bulls are completely misunderstood. Everyone thinks they're the big evil dogs that'll attack anything theysee. They won't. They only turn into that if they're trained for dog fighting[-gag-] And even then, they only do it becuase thats all they know to do! If they're not trained to fight, they're not going to!

http://www.austinlostpets.com/kidsko...er/pitbull.htm
    have your husband read it! I think it explains everything very well.
    in on the joke and i cant stop laughing

Welcome to PT! Pit Bulls are the sweetest dogs and people who say they arent are just I hate to say it but really stupid. Once I thought they were bad dogs and yes I am saying I was stupid when I thought that! They are really lovely dogs.

The way my experience has shown, is breeding is a factor also, but the way you treat and raise a dog can ruine or help out the dog. For hundreds of years, both the breeds going into the American Pit bull Terrier and Staffordshire Bull Terriers (bulldogs and terriers) were both bred very strictly for no human agression whatsoever and also for a strong loyalty and trust in humans, because if you had to go in the ring, you couldn't have the dog turn on you. Any dog showing dog-on-human agression was culled out of breeding. When pit fighting was outlawed 150 or so years ago, almost all dogs were bred out of dog-on-dog agression. That's hundreds of years away from agression on humans and 150 years breeding out of dog agression. All of the Am Staffs I've met were outgoing yet very attached to their handlers. I reccomend this site:
    http://pages.zdnet.com/cirklec/cirkleckennels/id14.html

Niņo & Eliza

Well I delayed posting this, but I will. I am not looking for a reply just something for you to consider..
    I have a dear friend that lives in the same county as I that was a skilled trainer. She had lots of titles in obedience, therapy dogs, showed etc. Well she got this pit puppy from a excellent show kennel ( not fighting kennel- a real breeder..) For over a year, the dog ( female spayed) excelled in anything she taught the dog. I dont care for pits, but I must admit, the dog was amazing. Calm quiet docile, and obedient. Got her CD in just the 3 trials required, quickly went to CDX..
    One day, she was out in the yard working when this lady walked by with another spayed female dog. Just walking along.. No big deal.. When her dog went after the the womans dog and when the woman tried to rescue her dog from the attack, she was attacked as well.. They did a autopsy on her dog, as it was forced to be put down for the attack, found nothing in the brain to indicate a illness or nothing.
    The result- my friend is in jail for the attack. She was sued by the lady that her dog attacked, and because she couldnt work- she lost her house to forclosure.. Her life is ruined at this stage, she is still in jail, and depressed and on suicide watch.
    I never EVER would have thought for a second her dog was capable of this- but since then, our county has put a ban on pit bulls in the town limits and if you have one in the county it has to be registered with the police department..
    I think the problem here is the denial in the club of the breeds. These breeds were bred for centeries for one reason- to attack and mame another dog. The clubs denial in trying to do something = like temperment testing and maybe even trying to breed to more docile dogs is the source. ( this is just my opinion..) but until the breed clubs ( american staffy etc) accept that there is a problem, nothing is going to be done.
    Even the bull dog, meant originally to bait bulls, has made the change to a docile sweet loving dog.. The same, IN my opinion, needs to take place here as well.
    This dear friend of mine, skilled trainer, proof in the pudding of training her dogs successfully.. all she has said week after week after week- was " I thought I was the one person that could handle this breed.."

borzoimom, there are several strains that are breeding out dog on dog agression.

Niņo & Eliza

Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom
    These breeds were bred for centeries for one reason- to attack and mame another dog.
    Actually this is a myth -- pit bulls were not originally bred to fight dogs. They were originally bred as ratters and as time grew on they were bred to bait bulls. Pit bulls, like other terriers, were bred to bite their prey and then hold on, because if they let go they run the risk of their prey killing them (even rats!). It wasn't until long after that dog fighting became popular, and since pit bulls were bred to hold on to save their own lives, they were an easy target.

It sounds to me that your friend's dog was over-guarding her property from another dog -- not an uncommon trait in any breed. Obviously she hadn't had any problems at dog shows and obedience trials -- it wasn't until a dog was near her property that an issue arose. Now whether or not dogs had been on her property before and she was fine, and this was just a strange fluke -- well it could mean anything. Perhaps she was "breedist" towards a certain breed of dog, the other dog showed signs of aggression, etc -- I wouldn't, personally, think that a few dogs over a hundred years ago, hundreds of pedigree generations ago would influence the present dog enough to suddenly change the dog's behaviour, especially since we've all taken a look at the changes that went though several other breeds once show breeders got a hold of the working dogs -- great danes are no longer the courageous boar hunters that they once were, boxers are no longer the ferocious dog fighters they once were, etc. Yet for some reason people still refuse to believe that a purpose fullfilled over 100 years ago in the pit bull no longer has an affect on current behaviour and temperament today.

Not arguing, hope I didn't offend -- just my opinion. I had a pit bull when I was little and though he was a grumpy boy as he got older, the worst he did to me was cut my lip with a wag of his tail. Nowadays it's easy to find a pit bull that isn't dog or people aggressive -- you just have to know what you're looking for, and you have to do your research. I would run from a Belgian before I ran from a pit bull lol.
    I've been BOO'd!

Aggression??

Everybreed has its agressive side..
    Ever heard of PREY DRIVE??
    Depends on how strong it is in each dog and how the owner determines whether it is a good trait or a bad trait.
    In Pit Bulls, it depends on what you want the dog for, ie.. dog sports, weight pull, agility, agil-lure, or just a good working dog.
    In a Border Collie, a cattle dog, agility, protection
    In a Chiauhau(spelling) lap biter, ankle biter, pinkie biter, sorry, they weight pull, agility, or just be a good watch dog.
    So pick your breed and choose the drive they have and be careful on how it is determined at "agressive behavior" instead of "breed characteristic"

You tell me below which dog you would be more scared of???
    Most DOG people will probably be right!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	duskandlurch.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	31251   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2006s055.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	109.2 KB 
ID:	31252  
    Pam and crew

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsoul
    Actually this is a myth -- pit bulls were not originally bred to fight dogs. They were originally bred as ratters and as time grew on they were bred to bait bulls. Pit bulls, like other terriers, were bred to bite their prey and then hold on, because if they let go they run the risk of their prey killing them (even rats!). It wasn't until long after that dog fighting became popular, and since pit bulls were bred to hold on to save their own lives, they were an easy target.

It sounds to me that your friend's dog was over-guarding her property from another dog -- not an uncommon trait in any breed. Obviously she hadn't had any problems at dog shows and obedience trials -- it wasn't until a dog was near her property that an issue arose. Now whether or not dogs had been on her property before and she was fine, and this was just a strange fluke -- well it could mean anything. Perhaps she was "breedist" towards a certain breed of dog, the other dog showed signs of aggression, etc -- I wouldn't, personally, think that a few dogs over a hundred years ago, hundreds of pedigree generations ago would influence the present dog enough to suddenly change the dog's behaviour, especially since we've all taken a look at the changes that went though several other breeds once show breeders got a hold of the working dogs -- great danes are no longer the courageous boar hunters that they once were, boxers are no longer the ferocious dog fighters they once were, etc. Yet for some reason people still refuse to believe that a purpose fullfilled over 100 years ago in the pit bull no longer has an affect on current behaviour and temperament today.

Not arguing, hope I didn't offend -- just my opinion. I had a pit bull when I was little and though he was a grumpy boy as he got older, the worst he did to me was cut my lip with a wag of his tail. Nowadays it's easy to find a pit bull that isn't dog or people aggressive -- you just have to know what you're looking for, and you have to do your research. I would run from a Belgian before I ran from a pit bull lol.

My aunt is a Malinois breeder/owner and the other has Belgians and I don't walk in her yard until she says its okay!!
    And I agree with you 100%
    The dog was protecting her from something. Even my AST, who didn't bark until she was 2yrs, just about jumped out of her skin and let a robber know he didn't belong this past summer!!!
    Pam and crew

Sorry, the fact of the matter is that PIT bulls were bred to fight in PITS - hence the name. HOWEVER - one of the most important requirements of early breedings was that no matter how DOG aggressive a fighter was - being people friendly was a must. The original breeders and fighters prized their dogs highly and took care of any injuries that the dog aquired in the pit and took the dogs home to live with the family. Dogs that won in the pit were often shot if they were aggressive toward people.

I know several pit bull owners and while their dogs are friendly - not one of them is willing to consider that their dog will not attack another dog. They train their dogs daily and monitor their dogs closely. They never, EVER leave their dogs unattended with another dog. EVER.

Heather - if your husband doesn't want the breed, you might look at another breed.

Quote Originally Posted by LilacDragon
    Sorry, the fact of the matter is that PIT bulls were bred to fight in PITS - hence the name.
    Actually "pit bull" was not a term recognised until they started fighting them, which happened several decades after the birth of the breed. They were originally called "Staffordshire bull baiters," which also gave way to the AKC's changing of the American pit bull terrier's name to Staffordshire bull terrier.

Oh, and I'm in complete agreement -- people-agressive dogs were culled by death. These were family dogs that slept in the children's beds.
    I've been BOO'd!

If you really want to do some history,

You can try:
    white terrier
    Irish staff
    bully baiter
    Irish white terrier

No matter what you want to call them, and what people think of them, the Pit Bull will always get a bad rap
    I have had up to 40 at one time in the past 10 years. 4 fights EVER.
    ALL DOGS SHOULD BE MONITORED if they have any drive.
    I can't leave my Aussies alone together.
    My Border Collies are fine.
    My 3 year male and my 6 year old male are fine and the are OMG, PIT BULLS!!! Bred for SHOW and NOT FIGHTING. My 6 year old has high prey drive but my 3 year old does not. But they have been raised togother in an environment that has no high risk elements. I AM ALPHA.
    The only one who is bossy, by mouth, is my unsure Aussie. Lack of social skills by first owner. I have only had her a few months.
    My AST is so social she would invite everyone to a sleepover. And bake cookies..
    So think what you, but don't judge ye who he have not met.
    I have not judged you.
    Black, white, red, or based on the religion or nationality you are.
    Of course I have not met you either
    Pam and crew

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsoul
    These were family dogs that slept in the children's beds.
    Still are...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2006oct 194.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	652.5 KB 
ID:	31253   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2006oct 198.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	664.9 KB 
ID:	31254  
    Pam and crew