Thread: Biting

Biting

I have a black labradore. When he greets someone at the door that he knows, he likes to hold something (stuffed animal, sock, bone,etc.) in his mouth. Does anyone know why?

Also, again, with someone that he knows that comes over or even when I and my husband get home from work, he likes to gently bite our wrist....is that a sign of security or comfort from him?

The first part is probably just a gift to the person they like.

The second part...i don't really know. My chocolate lab, Izzy, likes to bite my wrist gently when i get home from school.

Maybe he just wants to play and missed you! My dog always has a toy in her mouth!

My goldens (many years ago) would never greet anyone without a toy in their mouths, ditto my current rescue Mika (labx). My late Rhodie and current other rescue Chloe (shep/rottie/bc x?) had/have zero interest in greeting with something in their mouths. I guess it's a retriever thing.

My only suggestion about biting the wrist, shove a toy in his mouth. Some dogs just want to communicate with a "yum" in their mouths to show how happy they are!

For you first question, I'm not too sure why he would do that. Its probably something that he likes to do. I think its a Retriever thing to do.

Your second question, my Kodie does the same thing. Its a sign of affection and its nothing to really worry about.

On the first question, I think it's a anxiety reducer for some dogs during
    the excitement of greeting folks at the house.

As for the gently mouthing your wrist or hand, probably a greeting to you
    both when coming back home.It's the same way some dog friends greet each other. Some dogs are more mouthy than others.Or the dog might just be
    trying to herd you.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Retrievers do hold things in their mouths at certain times.
    It's funny. Both Roxy and Daisy do this. When I toss the frisbee-if they need to tinkle they'll do it w/ the frisbee in their mouths. It's a control/comfort thing. Rocky, a golden i know well, always has to have a tennis ball to control. But he never retrieves-like handing it off, to a human. If left unchecked, and without much attention from humans, otherwise, they can get very neurotic w/ those balls.
    I'm a bit intolerant about teeth, so i wouldn't allow the gentle wrist biting thing. But then, my dog has a dominant personality. If the dog was always gentle otherwise, i wouldn't worry.
    Religion is a smile on a dog.

It's raining cats and dogs!!!
    SPCA HOUSTON
    HABITAT FOR HORSES
    When it's in your best interest, practice obedience.