Thread: Heartguard all year round?

Heartguard all year round?

Do I need to give my dog Heartguard Plus all year round or only during the summer months?

Talk to your Vet.

Our Dr. Mike always suggested giving heartworm preventative for all 12 months -
    he feels there is always the possibility of a mosquito "living through the winter".

A few years ago I skipped their January HeartgardPlus ... and a week later
    found a couple Live Mosquitos flying around in the garage on a warm day.

We've been on an all 12 months schedule ever since.
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

I think it may be all year round but your vet may recomend something different....different states, different wheather you know! but id check with your vet!

Ditto.. check with your vet. Heartworm is pretty much non-existant here so I don't give preventatives.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Mine are on interceptor (it's safer for collie breeds including Aussies).

I keep mine on it year round, not only for heartworm prevention but it also protects against hookworms, roundworms & whipworms. As active as we are & as much walking, hiking, traveling as we do I certainly want to protect them against the other parasites.
    Granted mosquitos are not really too common in winter but like Cinder&Smoke said, it can happen. Besides I'd rather spend $10/month than what probably about a few hundred to thousand for treatment.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

We only give ours prevention from May-September... but we forgot a few times to give it to them, but they're fine all the same. I don't think heartworm is too wild over here.

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

It depends on your area and also where you guys walk and such. I walk Jasper near a lake every single day - there are mosquitos there year-round. While I am generally very conservative in treatments or drugs I give Jasper, to me HW preventative is top priority.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Quote Originally Posted by CathyBogart
    While I am generally very conservative in treatments or drugs I give Jasper, to me HW preventative is top priority.
    Same here!
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Yes yes yes..I know I live in FL and it is very prominent down here, but it is so important. All it takes is ONE bite. The preventation is a h*ll of a lot cheaper than the treatment. Treatment for heartworms takes YEARS off of a dogs life, unfortunately. They use immiticide, which is basically a form of arsenic. It's much better to just give the heartguard and pay the $5/month.

If you miss a month, you shouldn't be overly worried, some of the studies have shown that within a month or two of the microfilaria (critters that cause heartworms) developing, if you give the heartguard it will kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by areias
    If you miss a month, you shouldn't be overly worried, some of the studies have shown that within a month or two of the microfilaria (critters that cause heartworms) developing, if you give the heartguard it will kill it.

Just make sure if you miss any more than that you contact your vet before giving any prevention. Once the microfilaria start to grow the prevention can actually kill the dog as well. That's why you always test before giving prevention.

Living in Florida where winters are very,very mild we give heartworm year round.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I never take chances, so I give Logan Interceptor and K9Advantix all year long. *There ain't no bugs on me....*

I've been Boooo'd!

i see you live in IL.

i live in IL too and i only give heartworm in the warm months

Hm, I just heard on the news tonight that even though we (Manitoba) had a very nice, mosquito free summer, the weather (hot and dry) was perfect for the type of mosquito that carries West Nile.

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

Quote Originally Posted by lv4dogs
    Mine are on interceptor (it's safer for collie breeds including Aussies). I keep mine on it year round, not only for heartworm prevention but it also protects against hookworms, roundworms & whipworms.
    Ditto here!!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome