View Poll Results: What kind of Kitty bowl do you use?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Plastic

17 40.48%
  • Metal

6 14.29%
  • Ceramic

16 38.10%
  • Other

3 7.14%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What kind Of Kitty Bowls do you have?

What kind Of Kitty Bowls do you have?

I have a plastic food dish for Kylie that allows me to put a pop bottle of water in it upside. I like it for when I go away overnight I don't have to worry about her having water.
    But I have been hearing about bacteria breeding in the plastic. I wash it every couple days. I usually take a couple Efferdent tablets and let them soak in it. (Efferdent cleans everything from hairspray off hairbrushes to toilet bowls!)
    I think I am going to switch to metal food dishes for Kylie after this bout with "rodent's ulcer". Do you think it would be ok to keep the plastic dish for when I go away overnight??
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

I used to use plastic for Shiloh but she got chin acne once and I changed to ceramic at the suggestion of the vet. No problems since then!!
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

I want to get some heavier bowls or taller bowls for my two at least for the water right now I have plastic ones. Jupiter has got this weird thing about knocking it with his head to make the water spill out and then drinks it off the floor then diggs like he is digging a whole and bumps it again to spill more water out.... I really don't like him doing that because I heard that stuff like Pinesol can be poisonous to cats and I hate to think that he is licking any Pinesol residue off of the floor.... I have been seriously been thinking about getting them one of those that you plug in and it makes the water flow....
    [CENTER]

Alden is here!!
    7/6/2006 - 9 pounds 9 ounces 22 inches

Tinky

I use ceramic bowls and have had no problem. I've also used plastic bowls and had no problem. Sara, my cat Sunny loves to play in the water dish too. My solution was to put the dish in an empty cat litter box so that when he does this it will catch the water and then I can clean it up. He doesn't do this everyday but he does it enough to cause problems. Since I've been doing this, I really don't have as much of a mess to clean up.

thanks for the tip.... as a matter of fact I have a small litter box i'm not usin....
    [CENTER]

Alden is here!!
    7/6/2006 - 9 pounds 9 ounces 22 inches

Tinky

I have several sets of ceramic kitty bowls for my cats and I just throw them in the dishwasher along with our people dishes. I am sure non-pet owners might find this appalling. Staci that's an interesting tip about the Efferdent. Who would have thought? Sounds like something Martha Stewart would do! LOL!

Freckles uses the 12 oz size of Pyrex casseroles dishes. They are a little heavier than plastic and clean easily.

My niece's (the one in the bicycle basket)family has a large dog who had open sores around his nose. That stopped when they changed from plastic to metal dishes.

I said Plastic because I have a self feeder for the dry food. Butter just eats on and off during the day. When he finshes off the whole thing, I always run it through the dishwasher. But since Mimi is eating more and more of wet food, I always put that in a ceramic bowl and yes, Pam, mine go right in the dishwasher too!

I have a large water container outside too, with the bottle on top and it keeps refilling, but I have terrible algae problems with it, so now, Butter and Mimi drink out of the stainless steel water bowl that I have for the dogs. I was too worried about the potential problems with algae in that bottle.

I have always used ceramic for all of my cats. I used them because they were heavier and easier to clean.

For tidbits like turkey, I have a few small "lotus" bowls that I use and they are stacked with my regular dishes. Sometimes, guests take one to use for serving something small and I always say - "no, not those, they are for the cats." I have to laugh, because they always put them back like they had poison in them.

Pam, Logan, shhhh, don't tell anyone, but my cat dishes go right into the dishwasher too. Aren't they sanitized along with regular dishes? Rascal has dry food available all of the time, so I only change that every couple of days.

I also put ice cubes in his water dish every day after cleaning it. He seems to love it - just like we like a cool glass of water.

Former User Guest
    All the eating and drinking dishes are plastic. When one gets too many scratches, we will throw it away.

I don't have a dishwasher but I wash the pet bowls with the rest of the dishes also. I usually wait until the end simply so I can scrape out any extra into the trash. My mom who as stated before isn't a big animal lover but tolerates my dogs like an angel was doing dishes one time when I first got Shaianne and I set the dog bowls on the counter cause I figgered after she was done I would wash those up real quick. She grabbed them and started washing them and I said "Wait those are the dog bowls you might not want to wash them if you aren't done." She said "Well I hope the soap will kill anything that might be on them or its not worth it!" She had a good point.
    The vet mentioned when we talked about plastic bowls he said "you know when you take plastic out of the dishwasher, it isn't hot to touch, its very hard to sterilize it."
    Pam way back in the earlier 90's when big hair was the rage, I used to have a heck of a time getting it off my combs, brushes, headbands etc. So I would soak them in Efferdent and it would come off in one whole peice!!!!! Like a shell!!!! Yep just drop a couple tablets into the toilet let it sit for awhile or overnight and then brush your bowl!
    And I just read this one BAKED ON FOOD:- FILL A CONTAINER WITH WATER, GET A BOUNCE DRYER SHEET AND THE STATIC FROM THE BOUNCE SHEET WILL CAUSE THE BAKED ON FOOD TO ADHERE TO IT. SOAK OVERNIGHT. ALSO, YOU CAN USE 2 EFFERDENT TABLETS AND SOAK OVERNIGHT!!!!!!

Someone told me ceramic bowls are better for cats then metal ones.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Sadly, I don't own a cat, but I heard that plastic bowls, like aly said, can cause acne in dogs in cats cuz of the bacteria that might grow in the cracks and scratches in the bottom of the bowl.

This topic led me to thinking about the kind of bowls we have. Anyone else have kitty-themed bowls? This is a little water bowl I keep in the basement in case my boys get thirsty down there. Since it's so little I can't use anywhere that Bella may be because she would think it was a toy and pick it up and run with it! Andy was so pleased when he first saw this bowl! In fact if you see a blur of white in the picture that's my little boy!

Originally posted by shais_mom
    Someone told me ceramic bowls are better for cats then metal ones.
    I also think so (donīt really know why, though !!) However, I use metal ones for my babies, I canīt find anything suitable in ceramics over here - I know this sounds stupid, but itīs true!! I guess I should look for something suitable, though not meant for this use (a human bowl, for example!!!) Oh well....

Nita

P.S:And Pam, that bowl is just GREAT!!

Originally posted by Pam
    This topic led me to thinking about the kind of bowls we have. Anyone else have kitty-themed bowls? This is a little water bowl I keep in the basement in case my boys get thirsty down there. Since it's so little I can't use anywhere that Bella may be because she would think it was a toy and pick it up and run with it! Andy was so pleased when he first saw this bowl! In fact if you see a blur of white in the picture that's my little boy!
    That's a cute bowl Pam. I too use ceramic bowls which I bought at Petco. I don't have a picture of it but it's white with black paw prints that go all the way around the bowl. I also have the same pattern in some smaller bowls but for some reason my cats prefer to eat out of the larger bowl.