Thread: African Dwarf Frogs?

African Dwarf Frogs?

I am considering getting 2 small ones. I am doing research on them of course, but, do any of you PT'ers have any GOOD and SOLID info about them? I am not quite sure if I am getting them yet, because 1) the mom and dad need to decide on yes or no, and 2) I need to find more info and see if I am suitible to have them.

Any information would be wonderful! Thank you!
    Steph

I have two, their names are Pac Man and Frogger. I've had them for around two years I think, they are pretty easy to care for. I have them in a 2.5 gallon tank, they do not need a filter although I have a small filter for their tank. I feed them bloodworms twice a week and they get "frog and tadpole bites" on days when I don't feed them bloodworms. I currently have a male and a female, but I've never seen any eggs from them although I have seem them "making love" before. They can live for around 7 years and full grown they can get up to 1.5 to 2 inches.

Here is a picture of their tank.

Last edited by Uabassoon; 09-15-2006 at 10:38 PM.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

I found a picture I took of them making love. I figured it would be a good picture to use to show you the different sexes. Males are a bit smaller than females, they are also easy to sex because they have a gland on their armpit. In this picture the male is hugging the female, you can see that he is a little smaller and his gland is very noticeable.

I've been Defrosted!

Awesome! Thanks you soo much! Uabassoon, I thought that Pac Man and Frogger were tree frogs, I didn't know that they are ADF's!
    Well, I am getting 2 of them! I think I have enough knowledge after all the research and help from you two! Thank you so much!

--Steph--

They are so cute, Usabasson!!
    Jesse, I have had a few before and they're really cool pets! They can live in a small filtered fish tank full to the top. And they eat bloodworms, if not, tadpole/frog food.

Tadpole/frog foos is not very healthy for them. Live or frozen foods are much healthyier for them

|Dashing Hamsters|

Slave To:
    Sam-Dog
    Lumiel-Hamsters
    Midnight, Ginny, Kiona, & Eevie-Cats

They are getting frozen bloodworms...

lol, zoomer, Jesse is my furbabe...my name is Stephanie My screen name is confusing, Jesse_3 comes from Jesse only having 3 legs. I sort of wish that I could change it though.

Well, I have the two ADF, only I don't have a camera to show them off, it is currently lost! Well, one of them is about half the size of the other. I thought maybe the smaller one was a male, but I can't see the glands beneath its armpits. Is it still maybe just a little baby, or just a small ADF?

Oh, one last thing, any idea's for names? I am not having luck with thinking of any...
    Last edited by jesse_3; 09-18-2006 at 09:06 PM.

I thought maybe the smaller one was a mail, but I can't see the glands beneath its armpits. Is it still maybe just a little baby, or just a small ADF?
    It's most likely still a baby, it could still be a male but it's hard to tell because it usually takes a while for the glands to develop. I guess you'll just have to wait for it to grow some more before you can tell for sure if it's a male or female.
    I've been Defrosted!

Quote Originally Posted by Uabassoon
    It's most likely still a baby, it could still be a male but it's hard to tell because it usually takes a while for the glands to develop. I guess you'll just have to wait for it to grow some more before you can tell for sure if it's a male or female.
    Okay! Thank you!

Well, my two froggies are doing great! They are happy and healthy, and are so active
    I still don't have names though