Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue Buffalo?

Blue Buffalo?

Was doing more dog food research since I'm trying to find ways to earn money, and hopefully will have some to put towards the spaying of Lily and the kitties, and putting Roxy on a better dog food. I think this is the highest we have in the area (according to my research) but I was just wondering everyone's opinions on it.

Thanks .

http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...2025894&Ne=430
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

I feed Blue Buffalo to my dogs up until recently. I was very happy with and my dogs loved it. The only reason I switched is because I used to drive an hour to get it. We recently moved though and we now have pet stores closer to us, but none that sell Blue Buffalo. So I switched to Nutro. I tried to feed Nutro a few years ago but my dogs weren't real big on it. I thought I'd give it another try and this time they're eating it quite well. Nutro is also much cheaper than Blue Buffalo, so I'm pleased. I think we paid around $40 for a 30lb. bag of Blue Buffalo and we now pay $31 for a 40 lb bag for the Nutro. It comes out to $.78/ pound for Nutro and $1.33/ pound for Blue Buffalo.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

Quote Originally Posted by KBlaix
    I feed Blue Buffalo to my dogs up until recently. I was very happy with and my dogs loved it. The only reason I switched is because I used to drive an hour to get it. We recently moved though and we now have pet stores closer to us, but none that sell Blue Buffalo. So I switched to Nutro. I tried to feed Nutro a few years ago but my dogs weren't real big on it. I thought I'd give it another try and this time they're eating it quite well. Nutro is also much cheaper than Blue Buffalo, so I'm pleased. I think we paid around $40 for a 30lb. bag of Blue Buffalo and we now pay $31 for a 40 lb bag for the Nutro. It comes out to $.78/ pound for Nutro and $1.33/ pound for Blue Buffalo.
    Ahh, so Nutro's just as good as Blue Buffalo, except cheaper?
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan

Nutro Natural Choice Chicken Meal, Rice & Oatmeal

Top 10 Ingredients:

Chicken Meal
    Rice Flour
    Ground Rice
    Rice Bran
    Poultry Fat
    Oatmeal
    Soybean Oil
    Sunflower Oil
    Natural Flavor
    Dried Beet Pulp.

Blue Buffalo Chicken & Brown Rice

Top 10 Ingredients:

Chicken
    Chicken Meal
    Whole Ground Brown Rice
    Whole Ground Barley
    Rye
    Oatmeal
    Chicken Fat
    Whole Carrots
    Whole Sweet Potatoes
    Ground Flax Seed

Just so you could compare...

AMADEUS AUGUSTUS SEBASTIAN THEODORE

I thought rice and flour were bad for dogs? Correct me if I'm wrong. I just get confused with all "what's good" and "what's bad".

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

It looks as if Blue Buffalo is better.. =/
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan

I'd personally choose Blue Buffalo out of those two, but Nutro is certainly better than most Purina brands
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by K9soul
    I'd personally choose Blue Buffalo out of those two, but Nutro is certainly better than most Purina brands
    Okay . If I can't afford Blue Buffalo at first, Nutro will do I guess. But for now I'm stuck with Pedigree..
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan

Quote Originally Posted by BC_MoM
    I thought rice and flour were bad for dogs? Correct me if I'm wrong. I just get confused with all "what's good" and "what's bad".
    I found this info at Natura Pet...

Rice Flour

Rice flour consists principally of the soft, finely ground and bolted meal obtained from milling rice (containing essentially the starch and gluten of the endosperm) together with fine particles of rice bran and the offal from the 'tail of the mill.'

Whenever flour is part of an ingredient's name, the grain has been processed and some (or all) of the nutritional value has been lost. Frequently these flour ingredients are simply the leftover dust from processing human food ingredients.
    Rice

Rice is a high quality source of carbohydrates. Rice is the most digestible grain for pet foods and is relatively hypo-allergenic.

I say Blue Buffalo first, and Nutro second. Ingredients sound better.

I'll see how much money I can get before I make a real decision.. and I'm not 100% sure I've seen Blue buffalo at Petsmart.. Do all of them sell it?
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan

For the price, you'd be cheaper going with raw. Another thing about dog foods with veggies and meat is that dogs' stomachs are meant to digest one type of food at once. Wild dogs don't eat a deer with a potato as a side dish. They eat one kind of food at a time and vary the diet from day to day. Rice is helpful for dogs with upset tummies, but most it isn't necessary in dog food. Whole grains of rice are packed with nutrients, but as they are processed they lose most nutritional value. Rice bran and rice flour usually are made in such a way that nutrients are preserved. Nutro doesn't add that they have had food test positive for pentabarbitol, which is a chemical you want to avoid.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Quote Originally Posted by IRescue452
    For the price, you'd be cheaper going with raw. Another thing about dog foods with veggies and meat is that dogs' stomachs are meant to digest one type of food at once. Wild dogs don't eat a deer with a potato as a side dish. They eat one kind of food at a time and vary the diet from day to day. Rice is helpful for dogs with upset tummies, but most it isn't necessary in dog food. Whole grains of rice are packed with nutrients, but as they are processed they lose most nutritional value. Rice bran and rice flour usually are made in such a way that nutrients are preserved. Nutro doesn't add that they have had food test positive for pentabarbitol, which is a chemical you want to avoid.
    But my mom doesn't want to feed Raw anymore.. I'd love to, but she controls whether they eat kibble or Raw. Plus, the meat around here is too high..
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan

Here's a little breakdown of the two brands we're discussing. I added the top 10 ingredients, the price of the biggest bag, and how much it costs per pound.

Natural Choice Chicken & Rice

Top 10 Ingredients:

Chicken Meal
    Rice Flour
    Ground Rice
    Rice Bran
    Poultry Fat
    Oatmeal
    Soybean Oil
    Sunflower Oil
    Natural Flavor
    Dried Beet Pulp

40 Pound Bag: $30.99 works out to $0.77 per pound

Blue Buffalo Chicken & Brown Rice

Top 10 Ingredients:

Chicken
    Chicken Meal
    Whole Ground Brown Rice
    Whole Ground Barley
    Rye
    Oatmeal
    Chicken Fat
    Whole Carrots
    Whole Sweet Potatoes
    Ground Flax Seed

30 Pound Bag: $39.99 works out to be $1.33 per pound

Nutro is much, much cheaper - but Blue Buffalo has better ingredients. You could start with Nutro and see how well Roxy does on it. I know many dogs that are fed Nutro and do fine on it.

Good luck!

I never said Nutro was equivalent to Blue Buffalo, but it is a decent food. I know you are on a budget and Blue Buffalo is a bit pricey. Roxy may do really well on Nutro. I was just giving you something to consider.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla