Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: CongraTulations/ CongraDulations

CongraTulations/ CongraDulations

Pretty pointless thread but oh well .Does this particular spelling error bother anyone else?

Any other spelling errors that bother you?
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

accept/except they are not interchangeable

There are many spelling errors that seem more common than the correct spelling! I will use conGRADulations for someone's GRADuation, but congratulations for all else.

Misused apostrophes bother me, but as I am not a perfect typist, I cannot be too critical!

Quote Originally Posted by Karen
    Misused apostrophes bother me, but as I am not a perfect typist, I cannot be too critical!
    Karen I thought I was the only one! They drive me right up the wall. I have to laugh at Jay Leno when he does his *Headlines* segment. These are people who are producing newspapers and they can't spell or don't seem to know what they are saying in their ads. Though hilarious, I can't understand how this stuff actually gets put into print. Have these people never attended one day of school?

Another pet peeve, aside from CongraDulations, is nuclear versus nucular. Even our President messes up on the pronounciation of that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam
    Another pet peeve, aside from CongraDulations, is nuclear versus nucular. Even our President messes up on the pronounciation of that one.
    That drives me completely bonkers - because people will hear him, and think that IS how it is pronounced! Eeeek!

My beloved friend Phil was a proofreader - he worked for 40-something years at the Christian Science Monitor, and when he retired, he came to work a couple days a week at the local weekly where I worked. As it was his stock and trade, he proofread everything, whatever type was in front of him, without even trying.

One evening he and his wife went out to dinner, and the restaurant had a new menu. Phil, being Phil, noticed errors (one misplaced apostrophe, and a misspelling) and quietly told the waiter. Well, the manager came over, and instead of thanking him, was furious! They had just had thousands of menus printed up, and now they'd all have to be redone - like it was Phil's fault! He quietly told his wife he'd never point out a typo to a restaurateur again!

Rest in peace, Phil! Miss you!

Drives me nuts! I've been a "speller" for as long as I can remember. I've learned to remember that not everyone can spell, and some people never will. Most of my closest friends can't spell worth a darn, I'm sure most of them would say "congradulations" as well. What can ya do?
    I've been BOO'd!

IRREGARDLESS. I cannot stand when people use it. It's not a word. REGARDLESS is a word, IRREGARDLESS is not.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

It truly saddens me to see some of the spelling errors we see on this board. All in all, most people spell pretty well but it disturbs me that some people can't spell any better than they do. It seems that someone starts spelling a particular word wrong and it catches on. Like I said in another thread, put a dictionary by the computer or use spell check if available

My latest pet peeve is the misuse of lose and loose. When did people start loosing weight??

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

My latest pet peeve is the misuse of lose and loose. When did people start loosing weight??
    Ditto! i saw that one earlier and just shook my head.

Google is great for looking up proper spelling .
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

Spelling mistakes annoy me a bit, but I suppose a lot of us make typos now and again The mix up of there, their and they're is something I usually notice though

Zimbabwe 07/13

I am not a perfect speller but I hate it when people misuse the words there and thier and it really bothers me when people use "i" instead of a capital "I". I have seen it on commercials and it's so annoying, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Maltese_Love
    I am not a perfect speller but I hate it when people misuse the words there and thier and it really bothers me when people use "i" instead of a capital "I". I have seen it on commercials and it's so annoying, IMO.
    Do you mean their? hehe
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

One of my spelling peeves is:

Exited. Exited is not when you are happy about something - EXCITED is the correct word/spelling.

I see it used a lot on here.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

The only thing I really can't stand is when people don't use punctuation and their sentences just run on and on and.....I get out of breath just reading them!

German shepard.its Germen shepHERD people lmao..OMG i cant tell you how annoying that is to me