Thread: No more Stinky Dog!!

No more Stinky Dog!!

I wasn't sure where to post this but I thought Pet Health might be the right section....

Konnor has always been the kind of dog that could walk in a room and kill you with his odor. I mean honestly, we are not talking a doggie smell. It was like something died and glued itself to Konnor’s stomach, it was horrible! We could never find a way to get ride of it. We gave him baths at home but only an hour later he would reek again. Bath's by professionals only kept his odor at bay for maybe a day or two (if we were lucky), but he never smelt good. I have honestly never met a dog that had such a horrible odor and we had no idea how he got it or how to get ride of it…..

However recently we switched Konnor onto an all RAW diet (along with his sister Nova). I am absolutely amazed and thrilled! Every since his first meal his odor is GONE. Honestly! He can sit on the couch with you and your eyes don't water!! I can't say how this has changed his life. Both my brother’s love hanging out and playing with him now. I feel like I can take him into public without dousing him with doggie Cologne. I am just so happy we switched him over. The fact that it has killed his odor alone has made me never want to switch them back onto Kibble (which I hope I won't ever feed again.) I have to be honest I thought it was a weird coincidence that his odor was gone when we switched him, but it has been 3 or 4 days now and NOTHING! I'm so happy I can’t even begin to tell you!

So thank you to all those who have helped me make the switch onto RAW, Konnor, my family (and anyone with a nose within a 10 mile radius) thank you!!

Ashley and the Non-stinky Konnor
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

Yayyy! Congrats on the awesome change!

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Yay! I'm glad to hear it's working for him! I wonder what was in kibble that gave him an odor?

Quote Originally Posted by .sarah
    Yay! I'm glad to hear it's working for him! I wonder what was in kibble that gave him an odor?
    It was probably an allergy. And most likely to corn or wheat........something you don't add to a raw diet.

So Ash, how difficult is it to feed the raw diet? Do you use a specific recipe? Are you grinding meat bones and all? (sorry if these questions are repeats from your other threads. You can PM me if you'd rather) THANKS.

It's really, really easy Jen!

When researching it, it can seem so overwhelming and confusing. Honestly when I first started the dog's I was like "am I even going to be able to do this?" but after starting it's so easy.

I don't use a recipe. Basically I looked at the "what did your dog's eat today" thread. I then got a piece of paper and made 2 list one for meat and the other for "other". Under the meat section I wrote down every meat that was in the thread. Then in the "other" section I wrote what else everyone adds to there diet. I then combined my research with what everyone fed and went to the grocery store. I was told chicken was easiest on the tummy so I started off with that. This time around I also bought Cottage Cheese. I know a breeder of Cocker Spaniels who swears Cottage Cheese builds thicker, healthier coats so I thought I would give it a try. Next time I go I will choose another meat off my list and they will eat that. I haven't decided if I will add a lot of "others" to there diet or not.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me. My knowledge is limited as I'm still a beginner but I love to help.

Ash

Just the opposite here

Barney goes outside in the morning. If he finds some left over deer (sort of like a raw diet) then stinky breath. If he rolls in and partakes of deer boo boo (raw pre-processed food?), then his time on the couch is extremely short.

That's awesome =0) I wasn't even aware that you've been feeding them Raw, but it is great that you can see such instantaneous results! Aw, poor Konnor, it's not his fault he was a stinker.

Dragondawg, I know you're joking, but regular RMB's produce the best breath. My grandma, who fed her Poodles Eukanuba and swore by it, is really amazed by Gonzo's perfect breath... it's better than most peoples breath ^^ and his total lack of doggy odor. She was just telling me that this morning, so I thought of that. I can't imagine that old/questionable deer meat would be too good for his breath, though. The good breath is mostly a result of clean, plaque-free teeth which is caused by chewing RMB's.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

bckrazy - Yea I switched them over, finally! I was so scared to take the plunge, but I did it and I'm so happy I have. I'm AMAZED at how white there teeth are I also have found, apart from the no body odor (still loving it!) they have no bad breath. Now I can enjoy the thousands of kisses Konnor plants on me daily, lol. I'm honestly just so happy I switched them.

Ashley