Thread: Skinny - Bladder problems (Update)

Skinny - Bladder problems (Update)

Poor guy presented potty issues so off to local vet he went because our regular vet was in surgery all day and couldnt see him. Poor thing would go to litter box and hardly go
    Turns out he has bladder infection and was put on antibotic for 2 weeks.
    The vet here in town wanted him on the C/D diet food. He also wanted a urine sample. Confining him to a room all day and getting a sample would be difficult.

This is Skinny's first episode ever with bladder problems.
    I was able to make a regular yearly check up appt for next Wednesday with our regular vet so at that time I will ask about this c/d routine. Also, maybe they can get a sample at the office while we are there.

I was going to take all 4 at once but Skinny's situtation is more important than getting the other 3 up for their annual checkups at this point.
    I will make their appointsments for in late summer or fall. They are do now but Skinny comes first and tires on the truck second and then the other 3's annual visits

I got side tracked here LOL Back to c/d food issue. I just feel that going on a special diet at this point, I question and would rather get a second opinion.

We are on Nutro Weight Managment.
    Last edited by Craftlady; 06-25-2006 at 08:08 AM.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

Oscar has 5 antibiotics left for a UTI; he and his 'brother' are both on the Royal Canin SO food to prevent crystals(Oscar had a few of those too).

The food was more expensive...but it IS lasting longer...and I look at it as preventing expensive treatments in the future.

Oscar has his follow-up check tomorrow, so will keep you posted. He's been on this food for 12 days.

I think it's worth it.

JMO

Catty1
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

After 2 days of antibotic, he is back to normal Also, he gets a yogart squirt too along with this antibotic.
    This particular liquid antibotic looks like it will only last 7 days instead of couple weeks which will suit Skinny just fine. He is a real trooper when it comes to medicine time.

I also did some comparison research between rx and nutro. Nutro compares equally to the rx stuff the local vet recommended. Only notible difference is rx food is way fatter.

Skinny weighed 12.9 a year ago, He weighs in at 10.2 the other day. The local vet here in town uses a floor model scale, our vet uses a baby digital scale. So it will be interesting on Wednesday what he weighs in on that one.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Update 6/28 For Anyone Interested

There are no crystals so no special diet. YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    He has an inflammed bladder and we are to give him a supplement that is normally for joints and arthritis but it's proven to help cat's bladders.
    It's soooooooooooooo nice to have up to date, modern young vets.
    Unlike the local guy in town who still thinks 30 yrs ago and keeps their records on 3x5 index cards.
    He at least started him on antibotic until we could get him to our own vet.

I missed this when originally posted (kinda in my own world, I think)

But It is good that there were no crystals. Now just make sure to test the urine after the antibiotics are gone to make sure the infection is ALL gone.

Smooches to you Skinny.

Quote Originally Posted by jenluckenbach
    I missed this when originally posted (kinda in my own world, I think)

But It is good that there were no crystals. Now just make sure to test the urine after the antibiotics are gone to make sure the infection is ALL gone.

Smooches to you Skinny.
    He doesnt have to be retested. They are convinced by the urine results that the infection is not there.
    They didnt do his annual check up today (vaccinations) the poor guy was put through enough. So in a few weeks or so I will schedule him and the rest of the gang for their annual visit.

Oh, it is not an infection.....my mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by jenluckenbach
    Oh, it is not an infection.....my mistake.
    There might of been one but it's not showing now it's presenting itself as a bladder inflammation. Getting the antibotic for 7 days now appears to of been not needed after all.

It's like an ER vet for Thumper last summer didnt give her antibotic's when she really need them according to our vet. Now with this case, antibotic's probably werent needed after a urine collection was done. That is another whole story of how/when the collection was to be done. We (hubby and I) made the decision to wait till Skinny's appointment with his regular vet today to discuss urine collection.

Now I just have to watch him and make sure he pee's something during the day.

It is all straightened out now and Skinny got his first yogart cocktail tonight.
    Which was quite an interesting smell, between plain yogart & chicken/liver powder.

I'm just now seeing this. Glad to hear there were no crystals and he's doing better.

I've been dealing with chronic bladder infections with Ripley. The vet feels the cause may be one of two things or possibly a combo of both. She said he could have stones (bladder or kidney) or his kidney failure may be causing it from getting dehydrated and needing fluids. I've decided for now not to do the x-rays to check for stones because the vet said if it's one kind it's inoperable and if it's the other (I can't keep them straight) they can remove them surgically but Ripley really isn't a good candidate for surgery so we've just decided for now to treat the infections when they arise. Luckily they aren't too terribly frequent.

Sorry to get so side tracked off Skinny! Glad the new is good.

From Decker with Love