View Poll Results: How often do your dogs get their nails done?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Every 1-2 weeks...

14 42.42%
  • Every 2-3 weeks...

4 12.12%
  • Once a month or so...

6 18.18%
  • Other...

9 27.27%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often does your dog(s) get their nails done?

How often does your dog(s) get their nails done?

...and do you use a dremel or clip them?

My dogs get theirs done every 2 weeks on average, sometimes every week. I can't stand hearing their nails clicking on the ground constantly so they get them as short as possible and they never, ever touch the ground. They get them done with a dremel and much prefer it to getting them cut all the time, Tango puts up a fight with the dremel but was 100 times worse with the clipper.

I voted 1-2 times a week. Shadow's are AWFUL, but for years I was afraid to touch them (1. They're black, 2. she'd growl and make it such a big deal, and I was literally afraid!) and we'd only have the vets do it so they were MUCH longer than I prefer. I've been working on them though and making slow progress, and I've learned that the growling is all a show and she'd never bite me. They also grow extremely fast, and they're thick. I try to do all of the dogs at least once a week, sometimes once every two weeks, it all depends. I've been wanting to get a dremel, but for now I just clip them.

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

I'm really bad. I like to hear where he is or I freak out. I find myself calling for him and then I realise I had no reason to call him to me. I guess it's because he gets out so often but yeah, I do it like 3 times a year. I read a APBT book once that said you don't ever have to clip them if they play and run on concrete/sement a lot because they'll just file them down far enough, and I think that is partially what happens with Niņo.

Niņo & Eliza

...you don't ever have to clip them if they play and run on concrete/cement a lot because they'll just file them down far enough...

That is true to an extent but it depends on the dog's conformation. Dogs with arched toes (not sure of the exact term for what I'm trying to say) to wear their nails down with lots of running, dogs without arched toes do not. Most Rottweilers for instance, can't wear their nails down because of the shape of the breeds' paws. I hope this makes sense, sometimes I'm awful at explaining things...lol.

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

Chester usually gets his done weekly. He didn't get them done this week, because I need to get a new blade for his clippers.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangutango
    That is true to an extent but it depends on the dog's conformation. Dogs with arched toes (not sure of the exact term for what I'm trying to say) to wear their nails down with lots of running, dogs without arched toes do not. Most Rottweilers for instance, can't wear their nails down because of the shape of the breeds' paws. I hope this makes sense, sometimes I'm awful at explaining things...lol.
    Do you mean like "cat" feet versus splayed? Niņo's are "cat" like.

Niņo & Eliza

Quote Originally Posted by Suki Wingy
    Do you mean like "cat" feet versus splayed? Niņo's are "cat" like.

Yes, that's what I mean. I feel so dumb, I knew what the terms were but just couldn't think of them until you brought it up...lol

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

that's ok. I remembered because Dalmatian's feet are so important to them being able to do their job so that is one of the things I look at really close when evaluating a dal.

Niņo & Eliza

I really don't do them that much. I have trouble getting her to stay for me to do them. She doesn't like it. Does anyone know how I can trim her nails easier? We have a nail clipper for dogs it just makes her so nervous getting it done.
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.- Martin Luther King Jr.

We all live under the same sky but we don't all see the same horizon.- Konrad Adenauer

We are what we pretend to be so we must be careful what we pretend to be.- Unknown

Molli get's her nails done every time she goes to the groomers. About every month. Sam get's his done at the groomers and the vets. So about every month for him, too. They both HATE getting their nails clipped so it's hard fo rme to do them. Their nails stay pretty short from walking on the road/sidewalks on our walks.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Kirk is still just a puppy, so I'm doing clipping often and in small doses. Right now I can still use scissor-style cat clippers and I clip tiny bits from a few toes every 2-3 days. This schedule is mainly aimed to desensitize him.

I am certainly considering using a dremel in the future, since they give such a smooth edge. I guess I'll keep working with introducing him to the vacuum and hair dryer (similar stimulus) and see how that progresses first. I may end up just seeing if he'll let me manually file the edges. I would feel safer doing it that way.

I am so thankful that all his nails are clear! Yay for little white border collie booties!

Many thanks to Roxyluvsme13 & k9krazee for my great new siggy!!
    *click* Kirk's Recovery Thread *click*

Usually every two weeks or so. She doesn't fight so I cut them all the time. If I'm holding her in my lap on the couch and I notice a nail needs cutting I get the clippers. Her's can be down to the quick and you can still hear them on the floor.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

I do my dogs' nails about once every other week. They are so used to it, and they know they are going to get treats afterwards so they don't mind. Marta even GIVES me her paws, like "Let's do this so I can get my treat." LOL I'm not sure why, but Adele's back nails never need to be done, they are always filed down but not her front nails.

I've never had to cut Kodies nails.His keeps nice and short because he goes for walks on the concrete everyday.I file them once in a while. I'll trim lucys every month or so.I usually only file her nails because they get sharp.

I clip Snowy's nails whenever I feel them getting too long. Her nails seem to grow really slowly, so I clip them once a month or so.

This reminded me...I lost her nail clippers somewhere in the house and need to go find them...(Luckily she got her nails clipped at the groomer a week ago, so I have a little time to find them!)

Chrissy [human] Snowy [bichon/maltese] Buttons ['tiel] Bubbles [CT betta]

-the zoo crew-
    RIP Taffy, Fluffy, Rainbow, Sushi, and The Fishies
    thatDARNhorse <3