Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question About Retractable Leashes

Question About Retractable Leashes

Has anybody's retractable leash every broken (like the leash snapped)?
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

I had one when we just had Marta, and it never broke, but it did slip out of my hand one time and she tore off after a rabbit. I personally don't like them. If they get tangled around your legs (or someone else's) it is very painful, and it's easier to lose a grip on them then a normal leash.

Autumn has had several break. She is 45 pounds and can break a leash made for 100+ pounds. I don't like retractable leashes at all. For some reason we use them at the boarding kennel I work in, even though just about every one is tied in a knot once or twice because they broke.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Buddy broke one, the leash came right out of the holder

alex has had a retractable leash since 1998. works fine, he's pulled it out of my hand, once, going after a rabbit. and when we're just wandering around on a walk, i think he likes it better.
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

I have one, and it has never broke. Pulled out of my hand a few times, sure, but hasn't broke. I usually use it with 45 pound Jack.

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

My mom uses them for the small dogs(always have), and, we've never had any break.

I wouldn't use them with Jasper, just because I need more control over a 70 pound dog, but it's pretty easy controlling the little dogs with them.

RIP Jasper. I can't believe you're gone.
    RIP Tigger...I miss you every single day.
    Piddle Jasper Wiggles Emma Tucker Almond Pecan
    RB Furbabies:
    Tigger Ace

RIP Angus, I miss you!

I HATE them and the presumptuous people that use them. They let their dogs trapse about with no regard to anyone else... let them go exploring in people's yards, approach strange dogs without knowing anything about them, let their leads get wrapped around the legs of other people/dogs, etc., etc., etc...

They are by far the worst form of lead out there.

Quote Originally Posted by GreyhoundDaddy
    I HATE them and the presumptuous people that use them. They let their dogs trapse about with no regard to anyone else... let them go exploring in people's yards, approach strange dogs without knowing anything about them, let their leads get wrapped around the legs of other people/dogs, etc., etc., etc...
    We use them for our small dogs, and they are never allowed to do any of those things! They were still taught how to walk correctly, and to stay on the sidewalk.

RIP Jasper. I can't believe you're gone.
    RIP Tigger...I miss you every single day.
    Piddle Jasper Wiggles Emma Tucker Almond Pecan
    RB Furbabies:
    Tigger Ace

RIP Angus, I miss you!

Thanks for the replies. I use one on Fenway when we're out in the woods, cemetary and ballfields. He could care less about the people walking by or the other dogs. He's only interested in chipmunks. I sometimes use them around the house but we live at the only stop light in town and it can get pretty busy. I would DIE if it ever broke and Fenway got hit by a car. Perhaps I'll use the "normal" leash around the house and then switch it when we get to the woody areas where there are no cars.

Thanks again.

I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

I used one when Kiara, Nebo, Amy, and I went hiking in Utah. That's the only times I've ever used one. So, I haven't had much experience with them.

I prefer the double loop leads when walking. I like to have control over them when we're walking. Kiara prefers no lead and actually behaves better without one - my voice is the only control she needs.

Kiara is the same way as Fenway. She couldn't care less about people or other animals. She's weird and does get an occasional urge to walk up to another dog or person, but it's rare and a very quick sniff, that's all.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Beanie broke one a few years ago. it was cheap and old. it wasn't a real big deal though. i have like 5 retractable leashes.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

I've had 2 break...I don't usually use them when I'm walking the dogs in the neighborhood or public places, way to easy to loose control or get tangled. I do use them when hiking or walking a trail we sometimes use where no one else is around.

I've had one break and luckily, Tango was on it at the time as she's the only one of my dogs who can be trusted off leash and actually behaves better without a leash. I don't care for them, but I do occasionally use one with Tango when I'm at the river in the summer or walking through the forested area on my Aunt's land. I'd never use one in the city though. I much prefer regular leashes.

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

no, but he's broken a chain leash and a tie out before lunging at our old neighbor. (He gets really mad that she's scared of him.) I use one occasionally when we run in the field that is meant for 45 lb dogs and he's 55 lbs.

Niņo & Eliza