Thread: Squirrel Bites

Squirrel Bites

Kona, my 10 week old Sibe pup was in the backyard today, while we were in the front yard. He started to squeal, we ran back there, and found a squirrel clinging to his paw. He must have dropped it from his mouth and it clamped down on his paw. My mom ran over and tried to get it off and we did. It drew blood so we soaked it in rubbing alcohol, hand sanitizer, and the corona stuff that can be used for animal wounds. It was a slow and young squirrel, and I was wondering if it could be dangerous? Thanks for the help!

Thanks *sled_dog* for the siggy!!

dogs worst enimy lol
    hope that your pupy feels better

i can't belive the puppy caught the squirl! other dogs have got to be jelous.LOL

depending on how bad the wound is you could probably just keep it clean and wouldn't have a problem. but if it's bad you'll have to go to the vet. squirls sometimes carry deseases. you may want to make a trip to the vet just in case.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Whoa. Kona you are my hero. I can't believe you caught one of those nasty critters. They have been teasing me for years. I've gotten "this" close to catching one, but they get away at the last minute. I look up to you man. You're awesome.

Regards,
    Fenway....squirrel & chipmunk hunter

P.S. I'd make sure your family watches your paw. If it gets swollen and you can't walk on it, I'd hate to say this....but you should see the.....v..e..t.

Kona's my hero!
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

Wow, Kona you caught a squirrel? I'd watch him closely to make sure he's walking on it and that it's not too swollen. Hope he feels better soon! I know how he feels, I got bit by a squirrel and chipmunk when I was 8... in the same week!

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

I'm not sure of your state laws and although it is highly unlikely that the squirrel had rabies, but here in NY if your dog has not had it's rabies vaccine & gets bit by ANY animal you must report it to Public Health. Usually resulting in a 10 day quarantine.

I don't mean to scare you, just thought I'd post the law.

Hope all turns out well.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Oh I hope he is okay. I guess he won't be chasing those critters anymore eh?

I hope your foot is ok little one. It is very very rare for a squirrel to carry rabies so don't worry too much about that. I had heard once that it is impossible for them to carry it, but with further research found out it is just very rare.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Ok, thanks for the help! Kona is just fine, he runs and jumps and walks fine, the paw isn't swollen and he hasn't been limping. I'm sure when he's older he won't give up till he tracks all those squirrels down .

Thanks *sled_dog* for the siggy!!

Kona caught a squrriel!? Wow!

You might want to notify the vet and see what he says, because the bite may contain rabies.