Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! TICKS!

Help! TICKS!

Hi everyone! My 6 month old lab mix has 2 ticks -I've felt them and seen them. Problem is...he's a pretty rambunctious guy and I can't get him to lay still long enough for me to pull them out! They arent' bothering him but I know they must come out. Any suggestions? He has been recently treated for fleas AND ticks. Should I be worried?

You need to get them out quickly --- ticks can cause life threatening problems. Just get someone to hold him and take some tweezers and grab the tick as close to the head as possible. If you can't get him to hold still for this, you can always just use your fingers and pull it out, but the head may be left behind which can cause an infection.
    I've been BOO'd!

What kind of flea and tick preventative are you using? Get frontline or another kind of flea and tick preventative that your vet recommends, get them out, limit his activity outside and always check him for them when he comes in the house as they could crawl on you. Make sure you take him to the vet to check for any signs of sickness! Hope this helps!

Did you get them off?
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Yes, I was able to hold him down and got them off. We have recently moved into a wooded area and have a fear that this will be happening all summer - we found a tick on the other dog this weekend also. Both pups have been treated with Frontline and I also give flea/tick baths. I guess I will have to check them each and every time they come in from outside - I"m about to become an expert on ticks!!!

Safely removing ticks.

Our son's dog, Lillie, had a tick on her ear last week. I removed it with tweezers (yuck) but there is still a bump on her ear where it was attached.
    I drizzled peroxide on it afterwards. I don't get to see Lillie everyday , so, I will keep you posted on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lescoop77
    Yes, I was able to hold him down and got them off. We have recently moved into a wooded area and have a fear that this will be happening all summer - we found a tick on the other dog this weekend also. Both pups have been treated with Frontline and I also give flea/tick baths. I guess I will have to check them each and every time they come in from outside - I"m about to become an expert on ticks!!!
    Oh yes he is a puppy he hangs low to the ground very easy for him to get ticks!

When ticks attach themselves to their host (our pets!) while they are sucking blood they release a bit of fluid- that makes this little knot about the size of a pea. My vet said not to worry and that it will go away. I remember my other dog had a tick years ago and after we removed it that little knot was there for months...dont' be alarmed. As long as you get it removed and clean it, it shoudl be ok.Keep me posted.

I saw Lillie again last night. I checked her ear flap, parted the hair and noticed that there was a loose yellow scab over the bump. I gently rolled it off and the skin underneath is healthy. I was worried that I had not removed the whole sickning tick. I'll see her again this week-end.

She lives just down the road from us, her back yard is beautiful with a large wooded beyond that. She loves to sit in the back yard and stare at the woods for wild animal movement.

Thank-You, I am Lillie's Gramma

I use Frontline Plus on my dogs and it works beautifully. We are in a very "tickish" area and I check them daily and so far, knock on wood, I haven't found a single tick. We do Frontline and heart worm medicine all on the same day and the calendar is marked for the entire year. I got my Frontline off of the internet from a site in Canada that is a whole lot cheaper than dealing with the vet's prices. If I can find the www I'll let you know.
    Labmomma

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, I will be sure to tell my son what he needs to do in order to protect our Lillie!!!

Thank-You Lescoop77, I was so relieved when I read your reply.

Lillie is here right now, I checked her ear over and over, there isn't even bump today.

Lucky Lillie - the bump went away quickly. My pooch still has the bump and feels as if it could be there awhile. My boyfriend found a tick on him a couple of weeks ago and he has a bump also!

you can order frontline plus from this site and save some money:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/

is that the bump from the tick? I would take her to the vet to get looked over just to be safe.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Blog Entries

Bumps

I have been pulling ticks off my dogs since early this spring. Those bumps are sometimes caused by infection. Where the ticks attached itself & a scab forms & after awhile the bumps & infection clear up on their own. Anyhow that is what I have noticed. Those ticks seem to be in the real tall grass. I check my dogs from head to toe. I have even found ticks around the tail heads of the dogs & attached under their jaws. I pulled 20 some ticks off of one of my dogs last night. I check the dogs twice a day for them. We have had a real wet spring here so that could also be adding to the tick population.