Thread: Flea treatment not working ( any one else )

Flea treatment not working ( any one else )

Hi all, boy am I glad I found this sight. I hope some one can tell me what is going on, or if any one else is having this prob. This is the second year that the flea's and tick have been Real Bad. I have used frontline and the frontline plus for my dogs and it has always worked but for the last two years it has not worked at all. I tested it on one of my little dogs, I put it to the skin in the shoulder blade region, put her in a k, cab, over night, she has tick's real bad due to the fact she takes off to chase rabbits in the woods every morn. Now its way over 24 hours and there are still ticks on her and I am sure they are not dead. How long till the ticks die, I would pick them off but I kind of want to see how long it takes for them to die. Will give it one more day but I still say this stuff is not working, fleas are still there to. It is the right amount for the dog and I have checked the ex date to, she is not real dirty and does not have real greasy skin. Any in put

Is lyme common in your area? I'd be very concerned with diseases with so many fleas and ticks, first be sure you're pups are UTD on shots and heartworm meds. Do you have fleas/ticks in your house? If they're inside, it's hard to keep them off of anyone!

You should talk to your vet, and ask about other meds. Some people prefer Advantix. You should definitely apply it once a month, and remove ticks that are feeding on your dogs regardless. Maybe try doing a flea/tick dip to each dog before you apply the meds every month. =( that's a bummer! I haaate fleas/ticks/any blood-sucking bugs!

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

I wouldn't leave the ticks on -- I'd pick off whatever ones you find. The ticks may not just stay on the dogs, they may go on to you -- I don't think it's worth it to see if the Frontline is working.
    I've been BOO'd!

Your not supposed to put it on the shoulder your supposed to apply it to the neck thats probly why it hasnt worked for you. Even if they are in a different spot put it on the neck.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

I don't think Frontline repels ticks, it just kills them later. I would remove the ticks as soon as you see them, you don't want to risk your dogs getting any diseases. You could switch to another brand of flea/tick control, I think Advantix is supposed to repel ticks too if used once a month.

Here's their webpage: http://www.k9advantix.com/

The placement between the Shoulders is correct

Or at least that is what the instructions say. I've taken to trying to clip the hair in the area I'm going to apply it. The idea to make sure it hits the skin instead of just wetting down the hair. I'm not convinced it's doing my dogs much good. Thus I rely on the "Proban" part of Sentinel for the fleas, and pick off the ticks.

It's important to remove the ticks preferably within 24 hrs. That's how long it takes on average for a tick to attach, and through its saliva enzymes to be able to tap into the dog's circulatory system- and spread any tick borne disease. Tweezers at the base of the tick's head with a sharp pull will get them off. I always give my puppies a treat afterwards and tell them a "bug" was on them. I even show them the "bug". They usually look intently at it.

Note: Some ticks can cause "tick paralysis" where the neurotoxins they inject can cause paralysis of the dog's hind legs. This condition resolves within 24-36 hrs of tick removal.

Have you ever used Advantage? That is supposed to repel fleas, ticks and mosquitos. I use it and it seems to work. My dogs run in the woods - haven't seen any probs yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lescoop77
    Have you ever used Advantage? That is supposed to repel fleas, ticks and mosquitos. I use it and it seems to work. My dogs run in the woods - haven't seen any probs yet.
    Advantage is only for flea prevention
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

Sorry - I meant to say k-9 Advantix

My mother is having the same problem with the Frontline not working anymore for her Aussie. It worked fine up until this year (the dog is about 4 or 5 years old now). She had decided to apply every 2 weeks instead of every month when it started not working, and the bugs are now resistant to that treatment as well, so she gave up on the expensive meds and went to the store and got Hartz brand flea drops and is giving them weekly (still not working, by the way). I DO NOT recommend changing dosage amounts or rates...all these products are in fact pesticides (I know, that's a scary word), and as such we are legally bound to follow the labelling. I also DO NOT recommend the local home remedy of dipping in diesel fuel...that is just plain messy, smelly, and ineffective (according to my vet, who has had to clean up a few).

I know that the parasites are not supposed to develop resistance to treatments of this sort, but you may try switching to a med with a different active ingredient or something. I agree with the previous suggestion of a vet consultation...you may just call and get some general info about what products work/don't work and about correct applications, etc. of the meds. A good vet can usually give general info like that over the phone and is willing to help you prevent later problems.

I would NOT buy any flea/tick treatment that's over-the-counter. I've heard lots of VERY bad stories about Hartz and other flea/tick products. I would definitely not change the dosage either.

I would take all the ticks off your dog, give it a good bath, and then try a different brand. I wouldn't put it on too soon after the Frontline though, maybe wait a couple weeks.

-thank you Poppy for the avatar.

R.I.P. Hanson. You will never be forgotten, and we await the day to see you once again. The imprint you left on my heart will never fade - your big beautiful brown eyes, your big soggy kisses...

Quote Originally Posted by Pembroke_Corgi
    I don't think Frontline repels ticks, it just kills them later. I would remove the ticks as soon as you see them, you don't want to risk your dogs getting any diseases. You could switch to another brand of flea/tick control, I think Advantix is supposed to repel ticks too if used once a month.

Here's their webpage: http://www.k9advantix.com/
    Advantix is great, from what I've heard anyways. But if you are planning on using it on your animals, everyone please be aware that it can cause serious problems even death in cats. If you have cats or are aroudn cats please make sure they do NOT come into contact with eachother until it is COMPLETELY dry.

I'd love to try it as I do so much traveling, hiking, camping but it's not worth the risks that it can cause to my cats.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Yes always remove ticks when ever you see them on your pet. I do complete body checks on my dogs everynight. They sleep in my bed go on my furniture. When we go to areas that are wooded like we are this weekend as soon as they come in the house straight to the bathroom for baths and then I take one while they are drying too. I keep my dogs shaved down low in the warm months they are cockers but impossible to search that hair during flea and tick season. I use frontline and havent had a prblem as of yet. I have heard major horror stories about Hartz and over the counter stuff too. Good luck with the flea and tick problem. I also spray my yard with Garlic fermented in bottles of wwater. Tend to keep the bugs away.
    Rio&Nickysmommy