Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping on top of me

Sleeping on top of me

Hi there,

In the last month or so Emily has decided the most "comfy" spot to sleep is literally on top of me. This occurs whether I am sleeping at night or even if I take a snooze on the couch. I will wake up with a nine pound cat curled up on my tummy, upper chest or even on my side.

I have had cats before but none of them have ever done anything like that (maybe because they were too big ). I have talked with other cat owners I know and only one other person has reported this behavior. I am just interesting in finding out if this is something cats normally do.

Cheryl

My kitty Karamel loves sleeping on me too. When he wants to sleep he climbs to my upper body, his arms around my neck, he licks my neck, starts purring and after a time falls asleep. But he prefers to sleep on me when I am lying down. He spreads himself on me whether I am lying on my back or on my side. If I move when he is on me, he wakes up but then falls asleep again on the side that is available.

He does it to my husband too. He likes watching TV lying down and Karamel justs jumps on him and sleeps there.

Try two cats on you

Sometimes, if I sleep on my back, I will wake up to find two cats sleeping on my chest. They weigh around 7 lbs. each. It is a terrible feeling at first, then you just get use to it. I usually end up giving them the boot before I suffocate. Aren't they such wonderful animals?

A photo of Karamel sleeping on top of Mehmet when he (Mehmet not Karamel) is reading a book on the sofa
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Our male cat does it too - he's 8 kg! When my husband is laying in bed watching TV or reading, Fister will climb on his chest or stomach and make himself comfortable. If a book or some papers are in the way, Fister will give him "the look" and is very annoyed, but eventually Fister wins. He never comes to lay at me, but when I go to sleep, he immediately comes over and lay on half my pillow. By then, he feels sure I won't move around too much!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Lovely pic., Ganime - and doesn't Karamel look sooooooo comfy!!

Lynne

Isn't Karmel the cutest!!! For some reason I seem to really like orange kitties lately.

Peanut likes to sleep on top of us - either one of us - actuall, whichever one moves the least. But this is only when we're in bed, or very rarely she'll come up when we're on the couch. She's gotten so good that we can "transfer" her and she doesn't even move. We just lift her by lifting the covers, then we move to however we want to lay, then set her back down. She's happy as long as she's not half on and half off of us, or set down in some other goofy position. She'll just lightly resettle in and go right back to sleep.

Tubby on the other hand likes to lay on top of me while I watch TV. In the winter it's kind of nice because he helps keep me warm. But when it's serious nap time, he'll go to his favorite spot at the end of the couch or on the back of the couch. But when we're in bed he won't get on top of us. His spot is down by my feet, and he'll stay there all night (well almost, unless it's time to stalk Peanut these days).
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Cheryl, I don't know if it's something cats normally do, but my 12-pound cat Stump has made a habit of sitting on my chest whenever I'm in my bed. Every night, as soon as I lie down and start to read, he's right there. It's really sweet because he purrs and purrs, and sometimes licks my face. And he usually will snuggle his head next to my face. Great way to fall asleep, although it seems that as soon as I doze off, he decides to jump off and make himself comfortable at the foot of the bed!
    Cindy (aka Manxcat)
    household staff of Stump and Emmett

Spencer always sleeps on top of me, actually on my side while I'm in my favorite position, which is lying down in the evening watching TV. He sleeps right close up to my face and sometimes he snores so loud I can hardly hear the TV

Elvis sleeps on top of me every night. If I move, he will just change positions and fall back asleep.
    He is also very much the lap cat. As soon as I sit down when I get home from work, he jumps right into my lap and takes a nap.

Many thanks to Kay for the fabulous sig!

Just one cat this morning

When I awoke this AM I had only ONE cat sleeping on my chest. I don't even feel them getting on me anymore. They must be very dainty about the entire event. Sometimes Graemer will face my face while sitting on my chest and then he will being to lick my nose and lips....and THAT wakes me up for sure. Nothing any worse than a cat's tongue up your nose! UGH! It IS quite effective. He gets me awake for sure! Miley just nibbles on my ears if she thinks its time to be out of bed.

Once in a while Fawn will sleep on top of me. Since I sleep on my side, fawn's weight is still enough to wake me up. Fawn is a miniature Abyssinian -about 1/2 the size and weight of the average male cat. However, this morn (5/2), I had 6 of my furkids sleeping NEXT to me. It was enough to make me take some of the covers off the bed, because of the accumulated body heat!

..............wayne

LOL Wayne - hope the furkids weren't disturbed!!!!!

Lynne

Prema loves sleeping on my me. And I better not move too much! I usually sleep on my stomach, but if I sleep a little longer on weekends I make sure I let her climb on me for a little while. In the evenings when we watch TV she demands that I lay down on the couch and if I'm doing something else she will meow until I do. The end result is that... I often miss the end of the program I'm watching because I fall asleep as well. And she is usually not a lap cat.

Maya and Foxy not so often. Two of my RB cats used to love that too.

My sister has three who always sleep on her at the same time too so I don't think it's that uncommon

thanks

Hi everyone,

I just want to thank you for all of your replies. It makes me feel better that this is kind of normal behavior (at least when it is cool outside). So when the time comes to get another cat I will just have to make sure to get one who likes to sleep someplace else on the bed. I don't think that there is room on me for two kitties (even if they are only 4.5kgs ).

Now that is it starting to get warmer I think that she may stop for a little while (or until the air conditioner is too much). This morning I woke up and she was on the other pillow with her head on the pillow and stretched under the quilt. I guess that cats will just make themselves at home where and when ever they want.