Thread: Carrie Help ME

Carrie Help ME

Carrie,
    I need your help. my dog is afraid of even her own shadow. I got her from a family who bred australian shepherds and I wonder if she was tortured when she was young. She is finally getting used to my brother. but she can't stand other dogs. when she eats she eats as if other dogs were going to take her food from her. WE HAVE NO OTHER DOGS. nullHELP!!!

I don't really know, but my dog eats like that and shes never been abused or anything in that sort. shes a PIGGY! lol..she eats her food in like 1 minute. I knew a person who adopted a dog who had been shot several times (and lived), she was afraid to use to bathroom among other things. With lots of love and care, you could never tell the dog ever had been hurt, shes so happy now :]

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

O.K. - First let me say that it is perfectly normal, and indeed, sensible for a dog to bolt it's food. The wolf's instinct remains intact to a greater or lesser degree in all our dogs. For a wolf it is very important to get as much food into it's stomach as quickly as possible. If the pack is unstable or the animal unsure of it's status within it then another pack member may muscle in at any moment. Apart from competition within the pack for food there is always a threat of scavengers, other packs, bears etc. Having your head down and your backside unprotected while you feed is a very vulnerable position to be in!!
    The behaviour can have adverse consequences to the domestic dog however. If your dog is really swallowing food faster than it can breath (I had one of those ...Pedro would choke on every meal unless a mouthful at a time was given!!!!) then reducing the size of meals and feeding two or three times a day rather than one large meal can help.

As for your dog's other behaviours... could you give me some examples of how he reacts to people, other dogs, sounds, when he seems most stressed and how he displays it? That would really help me.

Sorry, she...ooops.
    Also how old is she and how long have you had her?

A while ago, I think someone suggested putting something else in with the food, like tennis balls or something like that, so the dog would eat slower. I will try to find the topic, but maybe someone else remembers better than I.

[ January 02, 2002: Message edited by: Fuzzy317 ]
    Scott is owned by 5 cats: Jackson, Fluffy, Twidgit, Ashton, Lexi;
    and 3 dogs: Eli, Sassee, Ginger

Fuzzy317's Pictures

thanks for the info. She is four and I have had her for about 4 months. When another dog barks she props her ears and runs. She is afraid of tall slim young men w/beards. she turns her cheek or piddles on the bathroom floor. THANK GOODNESS ITS LANOLIUM.

I'm sorry m cracker but I still need some more info....

I assume your brother is slim and has a beard? But she is getting used to him?

Why does she go to the bathroom to pee? Is that where she is usually? Does she run to the bathroom? Is the bathroom the only room with linoleum on the floor? Does she pee when you come back from being out?

When she hears other dogs and runs is it when she is outside or inside? Do her ears fall back against her head or prick forward? Is she turning her head away from or towards the sound?

It is very difficult to be specific without actually seeing the behaviour of the animal myself so as much info as possible is invaluable. If you can describe some things that have happened that have concerned you that would help along with as much detail as you can remember. Thanks.

yes, he is slim and has a beard. she has started to get used to him. the bathroom is the coolest room in the house. I assume that is why she goes there. she has a bed of her own at the foot of my bed. my bed is a day bed. she never gets so excited that she will piddle.
    When she hears other dogs and runs, she is outside. her ears fall back. she also turns her head away, as if "If I don't see it, it will go away" type of thing. It looks as if she was snobby or something.
    she is also very afraid of feet. is it probable that she was kicked as a pup?

thanks for trying to help

m cracker,
    She's not being "snobby", she's scared.
    I'm sure Carrie can help you with this !!!
    Best of luck to you .
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I'm not sure that I can help you with this!!

It can be very frustrating to be on the end of a computer, nearly have the answers, but....not quite.
    The best advice I can give at the moment is to act stupid and see what develops.

Sounds weird, I know, but the bitch is very new to you, her past is mostly unknown and you are very concerned about her.

Can you phone or write to the breeder you got her from? If you can, ask if they bred her. If they did was she kennel or house raised? If not where and when did they get her? (I suspect that she was bought in, not bred, and failed to live up to expectations.)

On the acting stupid - shut the bathroom door. Pretend you haven't noticed she likes it in there. (Everyone in the house has to be trained to shut the bathroom door.) If the dog sits, runs to, scratches at or in any other way tries to draw your attention to the fact that the door is shut you must pretend that you have totally forgotten that you have a bathroom, let alone a dog.

When your brother, or anyone else, comes into the room where the dog is, get them to pretend their stupid too!! - They just don't notice there is a dog there!!! Whatever the dog does, pay attention only to your guest and get your guest to only pay attention to you.

This gives a very new dog the signal that the new leader in it's life is in control and no matter how the dog wishes to react it will be much safer to recognise that you are in control and are able to determine who is safe to let into the house.
    If the dog chooses to run away it does not gain support or reaction....even if it then decides to pee outside the bathroom door... as you, as leader, have more important pack members to deal with.

When you are out with dog and let her off lead I would suggest you get a long line. (I loved your description of the dog being "snobby" - that is just the way it looks!) The looking away, snobbily, is an avoidance (as you said) or a dominance signal.

To sum up - I think you have a very unsettled animal that is trying to cope with a great deal of stress with no idea of how to do it.

Be aware that although she is displaying fear and stress she is also showing some dominant behaviour. She is doing her very best to cope and is failing. It is up to you to show her that she has someone to rely on, someone that will protect, direct, love and do what is best for her. What she needs is a strong role model - if you don't react to a situation that she fears and ignore her reaction to it she will learn to trust you and your decisions on what is safe for her.
    The very worst thing you can do is be sympathetic in a vocal or physical way. That will only reinforce that what she thinks is scary is scary for you too. She won't see it as you comforting her, but as you seeking comfort because you are worried and scared too.

Close the bathroom door, get a long line and carry on with life as if she wasn't there, unless she is following your lead.

Hope that helps, let me know and good luck.

Thanks that really helped thank you so much!! she is getting better around other people.

That's great to hear - well done!