Thread: I hope that you can help

I hope that you can help

My XSIL's 12 year old daughter has toxoplasmosis of the eye, and the doctors say that it's because of the cats/kittens that they have. Presently she has over 12 cats in her 2 bedroom apartment.

Anyways... My question to is... If we were to adopt one of her 8 week old kittens what's the chances of one of my daughters contracting the toxoplasmosis? AND... How can you tell if a kitten is underweight? This kitten that she brought over tonight for us to look at... was really skinny, and I could feel his spine and bones.

Does that sound NOT right? It's been awhile since I've been around kitties.

Thanks in advance!

here is some info, as long as the cat is wormed and you make sure hands are washed and poop is not handled as in direct contact the chances are low.

What is toxoplasmosis?

A single-celled parasite called Toxoplasma gondii causes a disease known as toxoplasmosis. While the parasite is found throughout the world, more than 60 million people in the United States may be infected with the Toxoplasma parasite. Of those who are infected, very few have symptoms because a healthy person's immune system usually keeps the parasite from causing illness. However, pregnant women and individuals who have compromised immune systems should be cautious; for them, a Toxoplasma infection could cause serious health problems.

A Toxoplasma infection occurs by:

• Accidentally swallowing cat feces from a Toxoplasma-infected cat that is shedding the organism in its feces. This might happen if you were to accidentally touch your hands to your mouth after gardening, cleaning a cat's litter box, or touching anything that has come into contact with cat feces. Eating contaminated raw or partly cooked meat, especially pork, lamb, or venison; by touching your hands to your mouth after handling undercooked meat.
    • Contaminating food with knives, utensils, cutting boards and other foods that have had contact with raw meat.
    • Drinking water contaminated with Toxoplasma.
    • Receiving an infected organ transplant or blood transfusion, though this is rare.
    There are several general sanitation and food safety steps you can take to reduce your chances of becoming infected with Toxoplasma.

• Wear gloves when you garden or do anything outdoors that involves handling soil. Cats, which may pass the parasite in their feces, often use gardens and sandboxes as litter boxes. Wash your hands well with soap and water after outdoor activities, especially before you eat or prepare any food.
    • When preparing raw meat, wash any cutting boards, sinks, knives, and other utensils that might have touched the raw meat thoroughly with soap and hot water to avoid cross-contaminating other foods. Wash your hands well with soap and water after handling raw meat.
    • Cook all meat thoroughly; that is, to an internal temperature of 160° F and until it is no longer pink in the center or until the juices become colorless. Do not taste meat before it is fully cooked.

Yes we live with cats visit www.aarrff.org

Yep. I have heard several times here that the good old washing of hands prevents a lot of problems.

That kitten sure does sound undernourished...maybe they should rehome a few of the cats? Do any need spaying or neutering? Take the kitten to the vet for sure!

good luck on this - 12 is not necessarily too many(ask Gina!), but they have to be looked after and cared about!

hugs
    Catty1

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1
    Yep. I have heard several times here that the good old washing of hands prevents a lot of problems.

That kitten sure does sound undernourished...maybe they should rehome a few of the cats? Do any need spaying or neutering? Take the kitten to the vet for sure!

good luck on this - 12 is not necessarily too many(ask Gina!), but they have to be looked after and cared about!

hugs
    Catty1
    She won't rehome any of the animals. She also has five dogs.

Well - if any of the animals are suffering from being underfed or anything else, the SPCA should know about it.

An anonymous call to the Department of Health might be in order, especially if a child got toxoplasmosis of the eye.

We're talking health here - for people and animals. I am not trying to be a party-pooper, really. But if people and pets both are suffering, then someone needs to step in and do something.

Just my opinion. Take the one kitten to the vet and get the vet's opinion.

hugs
    Catty1

I hope someone can help!!!! I am raising tree kittens (they are about 15 days old). I have no trouble feeding two ot them, they are getting big and look healthy, but the third one does't want to take the bottle. Every time a try to feed her, she pushes it away. I try to force her to drink but sometimes she chokes. She is very thin and much smaller than her siblings. Any advise????

I also agree with Catty1. If the health of the animals or the kid are in jeopardy (12 cats and 5 dogs??? ) I'd call the SPCA and let them know about it. In my years of rescuing, I've NEVER gone over the single digits. Okay maybe ONCE but that only after Mattie Grace had her babies and only then did I find homes for them.

mrslazarus,

The kitten you're trying to get to eat is the runt of the litter. Is the mama around??? If not, what you might try and do is force feed her with a syringe (without the needle, of course). Just make sure she doesn't aspirate any formula into her lungs. If for some reason the kitten still won't eat, you may have to bring her to the vet. You don't want her to become dehydrated, as that can be fatal to a kitten so young.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!