Thread: Fenway Has Hair Issues - Can You Please Help?

Fenway Has Hair Issues - Can You Please Help?

Fenway went to the pond today and played in some shrubs. I think they're called briars (not sure) but they're all over his head. They're stuck in his hair and I can't get them out! Does anybody have suggestions? I was thinking of using olive oil on his head to loosen them. Not sure if that's a good idea. Please help!!
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

These?
    Is it bad? Or just some leaves and crud stuck in his hair? Is it hurting him in anyway? I suggest combing it out the best you can and then use olive oil or something to ge them out.

No, they're more like dead flower heads. I am gently combing them out. It's going to take forever. I think I will have the groomers shave him on Thursday. Just to get the crud out (that I won't be able to get out). I think it's uncomfortable for him - not hurting. Kind of like getting knots in your own hair.

Thanks for the reply!

Quote Originally Posted by elizabethann
    No, they're more like dead flower heads. I am gently combing them out. It's going to take forever. I think I will have the groomers shave him on Thursday. Just to get the crud out (that I won't be able to get out). I think it's uncomfortable for him - not hurting. Kind of like getting knots in your own hair.

Thanks for the reply!
    I think you mean burs. (little circle shaped things with spines all over it)
    I don't have any suggestions, sorry. I think shaving him would prbably be the best way to get them out. That happens when I take my dogs out in the woods... it gets all over there fur. So I only take them out in the woods when they have really short hair.

Here is a pic of burs:

Most burs are smaller and rounder then those, though.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Could you try conditioning his fur? Something like this maybe: dog conditioner ?

Poor Fenway, I hope you can get those out!!

6. Ooooh those rechid things.
    i hate those things. they are a real bummer.

i just end up cutting the hair its stuck to off my dog.
    i dont know any other easier way to get them off either.

Do you have a really fine-toothed metal comb? Just go at it and break them up as best you can. Sometimes it takes hours of working at them to get them out. Good luck.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

If it's burrs, try crushing them with a pair of pliers they should be easy to comb out then, I've done this with my (longhaired) cats and it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenley's Cat Lady
    If it's burrs, try crushing them with a pair of pliers they should be easy to comb out then, I've done this with my (longhaired) cats and it works.
    That works, too. If Molli gets them I know it'll never help because of her curly fur it's really hard to get burs out.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

They are horrible to get out! and for some reason every newfoundland that comes into work seems to have a tailfull of them I would suggest just trying to brush them out with a brush and comb or even cutting them out if you dont mind the haircut?

After about an hour and a 1/2, I finally got all those sticky burrs out of Fenway's hair. I used a comb, I crushed them, I picked at them. I looked like a monkey (you know...when you see them picking things off of other animals). Fenway's got a grooming appointment on Thursday. He's getting shaved down!

Thanks for the suggestions everybody!

Glad you got them out

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

Hehehe...picturing you doing the monkey thing!

Blah! Tito and Bella have had a few encounters with those, what a pain! If they are not bothing them, I usually leave them for a few days, then when they have dried out a bit, i brush/pick them out. Not fun.

Glad you got them all out. They are a pain aren't they. Nanook & Meko get them all the time & I'm sure Kaige will be next on the list now that hiking season is just around the corner.
    For future refference though it is much easier to get them out when the hair is dry, any type of wetness seems to make it only worse.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.