Thread: Shimmer

Shimmer

I never thought I'd be owning a goat. I had never really seen one until today at the petting zoo. The goat for free. I begged my parents to get him, how there was never free goats and finally after some long conversations at home and hours at home talking, we went back to the petting zoo. Here came the goat, home in one of our old crates we had had for one of our old big dogs. We have him in the backyard, that will be his home from now on. Alli doesn't enjoy having him around, I guess she thinks hes a monster .

A picture of him is below, it was at the petting zoo... I know, I don't look too thrilled The goat doesn't like cameras much more than I do either

I named him...

Attached Images Attached Images  

CONGRATS! He's adorable!

He's beautiful. I love goats and have always wanted one but alas I live in town. One day though....
    RIP: Misty - Pomeranian
    Pearl - French Bulldog

Dixie - Pug

Lola - Pit/Boxer Mix

Sugar - Cane Corso

Veera,Festus, BigMac - cats
    Zeus, Bubbles, Kruzer, Hatter - guinea pigs

Congrats! My only question is...if you had never seen one before today...how much do you know about their care??

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Quote Originally Posted by CathyBogart
    Congrats! My only question is...if you had never seen one before today...how much do you know about their care??
    Ditto. O.O

A free goat at a petting zoo?? Sounds odd. And then to have never seen one and then bring the goat home, like mentioned before, what do you know about their care?
    Amber: Mom to Connor, Carson, Sadie, Maggie and Grant

He's gorgeous!

...I have to ditto what the last three have said

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

Awww! I have alway wanted a goat. my mom says if we move to where goats are legal we will get one.

Niņo & Eliza

He's very cute!

Goats can be very expensive and destructive though. My Aunt & Uncle have 2 Goats, they typically crave the company of another Goat and they'll often eat or chew on anything/everything in sight!

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

I have read all about them on websites, and my mom had a goat book so we read that. Along with some dictonaries and in a pet dictonary I had. These two I know I looked at:
    http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/vetext/INF-GO.html
    http://www.kindplanet.org/goatcare.html
    Is there anything else I should know?

The reason he was free was because the Petting Zoo was closing down. The other animals had already been found a home, the little goat was the only one who didn't have a home. My parents and I went home, and after a long talk we researched on the internet. And we agreed to own a goat. Not sure about the home care though? Should he be living in the backyard? Or in a kennel? We have lots of grain, and he loves fruit and dandilions, he also loves nuts. We have lots of large rocks in our backyard that he can climb on. We have a wood fence... don't know if he will chew through it? Is there anyway to keep him from chewing through it, if he will? I trimmed his hoofs this morning, the book said how to. Our old dog's crate is now his! It looks like hes really comfy in it, we have the crate like a dog house now. My dad built onto it yesterday, he put wood slates all over it so the rain wouldn't get into it, and we put the crate in this cave we have in the backyard, across from the pond. Is this all good for a goat?

Thanks everyone

Quote Originally Posted by bckrazy
    He's very cute!

Goats can be very expensive and destructive though. My Aunt & Uncle have 2 Goats, they typically crave the company of another Goat and they'll often eat or chew on anything/everything in sight!
    He hasn't seemed very destructive??? Yet(bits lip)?

Quote Originally Posted by Suki Wingy
    Awww! I have alway wanted a goat. my mom says if we move to where goats are legal we will get one.
    They're illegal in your area

Quote Originally Posted by k9krazee
    He's gorgeous!

...I have to ditto what the last three have said
    I've never heard someone say a goat is gorgeous, but I've got to ditto, he is cute, and very funny!

Is he in some sort of safe, fenced area in your backyard? If not, I'd start planning where I wanted to build a secure corral for him. It's one of the many responsibilities of owning a goat.

I want to add that I LOVE goats, and he's a cutie!!!

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Wow he's so cute! I love his colours.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee