Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What a trip!

What a trip!

Since my boat was in the shipyard, they had to put me on another one to get my days in. I knew when I left home that I was going on the Ohio River, just didn't know which boat.. I ended up on this one...

I was taken to just below Cincinatti to get on, spent 26 days on it and got off about 30 miles above Cincinatti. We made 2 trips up to Pittsburg, arriving both times just in time for those winter storms. Now, living in the deep south, we can not buy clothes for that kind of weather but I didn't have to go out in it so I didn't! I use to work on the Ohio river when I first hired in with the company and always wanted to do another trip up there, just not in the winter!

The boats regular cook is off due to having surgery and these guys were really excited to have me there without even knowing what kind of cook I was. I worried all the way to the boat about the type of crew I would have and afraid they wouldn't like my southern style of cooking. Ha! They LOVED my cooking, the pilot even told me he has been out there 30 years and never has seen a cook, cook as good as I do... and I thought up until then, that the man didn't even like me because he hardly spoke to me.

All in all, it was a great trip, not my choice of where I'd rather be but I am glad I had the experience and I did enjoy it. The Ohio is so different from the Lower Mississippi that I took tons of pictures and thought I would share a few with you. On to the pictures...

A crew member getting off at a lock.. I had to climb a lock wall to get on and off that boat. The ladder is between those black and white strips on the wall.

Going into a lock

more coming

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Guys doing tow work

River freezing over... Now THAT'S cold!!

The other cook climbing down the lock wall the day I got off..

Giz Welcoming me home last night... (Just throw it down and she will come)

Hi Laura, welcome home!!! We missed you!!! Thank you for sharing some photos with us. I loved all of them. Enjoy your time home!!!

Smokey, Mystic, Abner

Gabriel (Dude), Gracie, Vegas, and Scarlet

Consider adopting a special needs pet, they deserve a chance too!

RAINBOW BRIDGE BABIES
    Tony 2/15/99
    Tigger 10/16/06
    Tucker 8/1/08

Hee hee - Paul was at an event yesterday held at a Marriott near here. One of the people commented on "the lake" out in front of the hotel.
    "That's not a lake," one woman explained - that's the Charles River."
    "But, how can it be frozen? Don't rivers have a current? Doesn't that keep them from freezing?"

Yes, he was from Florida.

I am sure are glad to be back home, but welcome North whenever you are! Winter has its own kind of beauty, up here where the rivers can freeze.
    I've Been Frosted

Welcome home Laura!! I had to think a minute because it just seems like a couple weeks ago that you left. I can't believe it's already been almost 4 weeks!!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

WoW this trip looks aweesome.. Such beauty.. Sorry about the cold/weather.. Well so glad your home safe & had a good working trip.. I am sure the babies were so glad to see you.. Snuggles & Huggss to the babies..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Welcome home, and thank you for the photos!
    We sure missed you.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

Welcome home, Laura! What a sweet welcome home you got from all the kitties.

Thank you for all the pictures. Are those from around Cincinnati?
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

This trip looked fun except for the weather of course. The pictures were beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Neat shots! And, I approve of the name of the boat.

The Hudson is frozen to the point where there hasn't been ferry service at Haverstraw or Newburgh since mid-December!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Wow, neat pictures! I hope DavidP gets to look at them. I especially like the last photo in the first post- it looks so serene.

When I worked at the Rehab Institute, it always used to amaze me that the surface of Lake Michigan would freeze. But it was never smoothly frozen because of the water movement under the ice. That was always one of the signs of spring for me, when we could look out of the windows from the patient rooms that faced the lake, and see the ice cracking, then melting.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

phesina- Thank you for all the pictures. Are those from around Cincinnati?
    Yes, I got on below Cincinatti and got off above it. I love that bridge!
    Some are along the way up and some of Pittsburg one on the Monongahela River.

I hope Davidp gets to see I was in his neck of the woods!

Welcome back! Your pictures are beautiful!

Frozen rivers! You weren't in danger of getting stuck until Spring were you?

nice pictures!

Laura, I'm sorry you didn't get a warmer welcome in Pittsburgh, but you did get some nice pics of the downtown area. I liked the shots of the Duquesne Incline and the Majestic, both of which I've been on plenty of times. I live less than ten minutes from the downtown (up the Allegheny river) so I know the area well.