Thread: afraid of the vet?

afraid of the vet?

Hello. I have a pointer mix I adopted from a shelter. She was a puppy when I got her. I took her to my regular vet who is also a very close friend of the family. After several visits at the vet’s office Bella barked and growled at the vet. When he went to touch her, she snapped at him. We eventually had to switch vets.

About year later we had a dinner party at my mom’s and the vet was there. We figured she would be ok with him being there. She didn’t have the stress of the vets office, other strange animals around or of him in his lab coat. When he came into the house Bella flipped out barking. When the vet would talk she would start barking again. The vet got down on the floor with treats and she would take them but run away.

She is fine with our new vet. Has any one else seen behavior like this? What do you think is the cause of her behavior?

Renee
    Link to Tri-Dale Farm

I can't offer you an answer to your question--but what a cutie!! Is the dog in your sig the one you are referring to?? She is beautiful!!!!!
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

oh, i agree! what a gorgeous doggie you got there!

sorry, i can't offer any advice either. mickey has never reacted like that. i don't know what to suggest, i'm sorry. good luck!

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

A dog from the past

When I was a kid we had a doggie that hated my one Uncle. That same dog would do flips for other people but would growl at my Uncle. We could never figure out why but suspected his scent (my Uncles, not the dog) was the problem. And we also thought that the dog was totally confused because my Uncle looked a lot like my Dad and his voice was similar, thus the dog felt duped all the time..... I have not a clue as to why your dog has such bad feelings for its former Vet, but just accept it and tell him to renew his insurance. My guess is that with repeated exposure to each other, they would be fine. My Uncle didn't come around all that often and that could have been keeping the game going. By the way, the dog was a sheepdog mix named Fluffy. Fluffy was a delightful doggie and would allow me to dress her, comb and set her long hair, she would wear sunglasses and hats through the house....she was a delight for sure. And she hated my Uncle.

Re: afraid of the vet?

I have a different vet for Rocky than I use for
    Sheba and Pepper.
    When Rocky was a puppy , he liked going to the vet until
    the day he got neutered.
    After that he hated his vet and the male staff their.
    Sooo last year, I finally switched vets for him.
    I think dogs have a very good memory when it
    comes to a bad experience and they recognize smells etc.
    Not saying your vet abused your dog, but possibly something
    happened that tramatized her?

Just a possible thought.

Your girl is beautiful.

----<---<--<{(@

sometimes dogs just have bad feelings...one time, someone came over, a really nice guy, and stitch started barking and growling and would snap at him every time he went near her...shes such a nice dog!! never ever had done that b4!!! so we just figured that she had a sense that we didnt know about....i cant remember if something bad happened with that guy later...i may have read it in a book lol....i just keep thinking he was a criminal or something....ahhh my vivid imagination!
    I've been BOO'd!

Beautiful dog! I don't really know an answer to your question..my dog is really afraid of the vet too, and needs to be muzzeled when in for an appointment Which is totally against her natural, she's a total sweety...it's weird lol
    welcome to PT btw

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

Thank you for the wonderful words about Bella. That is Bella in my signature picture. She is the pointer mix I was talking about. I am still new here and just learning how to post pictures.

I will start a new Thread under General telling a little more about Bella and me.

Your pup is sooo cute! Just wanted to comment on the picture!

Since Bella was a shelter adoption, you don't know exactly what happened to her before you came to her. It is possible that the vet reminds her of someone who was mean to her. I am glad that she is not mad at all vets or all men. That can happen if there was abuse that you don't know about. Just keep her on a leash and at a safe distance from your friend the vet, you might give her another chance to see the vet--the best way might be with a fence between them and he can just talk quietly with her. If she freaks, don't try to have them together anymore.

We tried to adopt a dog who was on her third home. She was going to be put to sleep the next day. We brought Sally home and things went pretty well for a few months. She did not like my husband because she had been abused before, but she tolerated him. One day she tried to bite him when he told her to go outside for a potty break before bed. We had small kids and I realized that we could not keep Sally and risk her biting them for no reason. Sadly we took her back to the shelter--I don't know if they tried to adopt her again. Abuse can stay with a dog and come back when they see someone who reminds them of the abuser. Since Bella only has one person she does not like, it sounds like you should be fine. Let her tell you who she wants for a friend.