Thread: Cat Biting

Cat Biting

I adopted a two-year-old cat approximately six months ago from our local shelter. I am not sure what his background is, but I'm not sure if he is well socialized. He is starting to come around and spends the evening with us in the same room, but he's not a lap cat at this time. He seems to be affectionate in the morning and his way of showing affection is to bit. Sometimes he bits hard. I'm not sure how to correct his behavior, because, I believe, he is showing affection towards me. I can pet him, but for only a short time. I believe too much petting might over stimulate him.

Does anybody have any recommendations on how I can correct his behavior without deterring him from showing affection?

Any advice or input would be appreciated. Thanks!!

I know this has been discussed before, but I can't remember what everyone's recommendations were. What I did with Tubby is I just say "No, don't bite!" and I take my hand away and don't pet him anymore. He has learned what "don't bite!" means and will immediately lighten his grip and then let go. He now knows if he continues to bite I won't pet him anymore, and if stops biting, comes back for more pets and starts biting again, I push him away and ignore him. He hates it when I ignore him (mean mommy!) so he has learned to let go. He hasn't drawn blood since he was about 2 years old, so I think he learned really well.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

I have an older rescue cat that acts somewhat the same way. Ghost will let me pet him until HE decides he's had enough. He'll swat me if i don't recognize his body language soon enough. He likes to sit with his chest on my leg, but I have to watch where and how long I pet him. I call him a cranky old man.

Maybe your cat is satisfied with a little petting for now. Give him time and he might want more later. I agree with saying "no biting" and walk away.

Mary