Thread: Disease?

Disease?

This is an upsetting topic, but it has been on my mind for a while and I'd like some advice:

We have loads of stray cats in Bahrain, and of course many of them are killed on the roads here. When I see a body in the road (provided it's not too mangled) I usually pull over and move it to the side of the road. (Our garbage collectors will pick up bodies from the roadside, but will not scrape up remains). I usually keep old newspapers in the car, so I just pick up the cat in a few sheets of paper, and move it off the road, then leave the paper "tucked" around it. (99% of the time it has been removed by the following day).

I have done this several times, and other than washing my hands well when I reach my destination, I don't take any precautions. The other day my son was with me when I did this, and when my hubby heard he flipped out. He said I could catch diseases etc and I shouldn't risk it.

Any advice? I don't see how moving a body is any different to touching my strays in the garden - probably less risky in fact, as they won't bite or scratch

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

I can't see there any serious problem either?!
    We always have to have plastic gloves in our cars 1st aid bag (I don't know wether these are requested in other countries as well) and I think if you feel uncomfortable you could use these...

I think it's really great that you do remove these poor dead bodies from the road, because most people really don't care about them...
    It's a good thing you do and I hope you don't stop...so the little furry ones at least can watch from above that someone has cared about them...
    You have learned enough to see that cats are much like you and me. ( T.S. Eliot)

Originally posted by bisi.cat
    I think it's really great that you do remove these poor dead bodies from the road, because most people really don't care about them...
    It's a good thing you do and I hope you don't stop...so the little furry ones at least can watch from above that someone has cared about them...
    I too thank you and say don't stop doing this good deed for these poor little ones.

I have to say I'm not well versed in if a human can get any diseases from a dead cats body, but I think I see where you husband is concerned and that would be with the possibility of coming in contact with the cats blood. My advice is to keep a box of gloves (latex, vinyl etc) in the back of your car and use them when moving the cat. Then after you take off the glove wash your hands. I keep Purell in the car. I don't know if you have it over there but Purell is an waterless hand cleanser containing alcohol. It will kill 99% of germs on contact. --- Meg

Smokey, Mystic, Abner

Gabriel (Dude), Gracie, Vegas, and Scarlet

Consider adopting a special needs pet, they deserve a chance too!

RAINBOW BRIDGE BABIES
    Tony 2/15/99
    Tigger 10/16/06
    Tucker 8/1/08

I wanted to chime in and thank you also. I think it's very thoughtful of you to think enough of these poor kitties to move them away from further destruction.

My only suggestion would be to carry some of the "hand sanitizer" that has been on the market in the last few years. I hope you have the same or similar over there. It's basically alcohol in a gel solution in a bottle. They claim it kills 99% of the germs out there, and this is something you could do right away instead of waiting until you get to your destination.

The way it sounds is you don't actually touch the cat itself, but the newspaper that you wrap around the cat. I can't see how that could really be a problem, but to make your husband feel better you might want to try the sanitizer stuff. You just rub it on like hand lotion and it evaporates quickly. Doesn't "clean" your hands, just sanitizes them.

Thanks again for being so thoughtful and don't let talk you out of doing it.

And it's good to hear from you again!
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    I really don't think there's any disease that you're bound to pick up from these dead little souls. I carry hand wipes in my car as I'm often stinking of sardines etc. in my haste to get a trap set for kittens etc. I encounter. I do the same if I see a dead cat on the road, as even the animal control many times won't bother. I usually have a bag of some sort in my car to pick them up in. In a pinch I can usually find a box in a dumpster if not. I'm two minutes away from the vets who will bury them for me free of charge. It's the least we can do for those who don't make it. Thank you from me and the cats you pick up.
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

Unless the cat has been dead for a while and it's got bugs on it or is very rotted, I don't see how touching it with a newspaper could hurt. But maybe keep gloves in the car just to ease hubby's mind