Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How Mac, Windows and Linux see each other

Quote Originally Posted by wombat2u2004 View Post
    Wow, this a good thread. Just like the war all over again.
    Commos against capitalists
    There are no "communists" here on Pet Talk, despite what you might think. Just because someone's politics are to the "left' of yours does not make them a communist, ya know.
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    I am sure there could be a company that has a business model that puts the entire fate of the organization on one person's 24/7/52 availability.

But other than a sole proprietor, I cannot imagine why.

And it certainly would not be a company I would want my family dependent upon!
    Le Sigh....

It must be tough, eh Sara? Looking down from thy roost upon we little people? How stupid we are that we cannot see your genius?

Yes. Yes we as a company realize that my singular knowledge of the detailed physical configuration of our colocation facility is an issue we need to address. Its a project on my plate. But rest your little heart... We will be fine. Thank you for your concern.

Also, dont worry dear.... I doubt I would be trying to employ you in the future. So you don't have to worry about putting your family at risk in our silly little company.

Oh... I recall you lamenting about how difficult it was to give away your extra wealth. I'm sure you recall? You have your wonderful home, cars, a Harely...etc... I used this new fangled thingy called Google. I typed in "How do I give a gift to the US Treasury?" Wouldn't you know it? The VERY first link that came up was...

http://www.fms.treas.gov/faq/moretopics_gifts.html

You said something about "flying monkeys" and "not as easy as you think". I'm sure you will be happy to see that it IS. Awesome, eh?
    "Unlike most of you, I am not a nut."

- Homer Simpson

"If the enemy opens the door, you must race in."

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Blue, you are wrong. Just want to correct one point that you have repeated. LH is NOT a Luddite. Has not been since childhood, is not now, was not raised to be, and never will be. Got that? I have been his sister his whole life, you can trust me on that one.
    Im quite sure he could school me with ease on a large amount of technology. I really do mean that.

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    *sigh* I thought it was a cute cartoon....
    I thought it was spot on and pretty dang funnay.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

I am sure there could be a company that has a business model that puts the entire fate of the organization on one person's 24/7/52 availability.

But other than a sole proprietor, I cannot imagine why.

And it certainly would not be a company I would want my family dependent upon!
    99% uptime does not happen without 24/7 support.

If Puck is selling 99% uptime he had better be on call 24/7, and that would be a company I would depend on if he can deliver.

Last employer also sold 99% uptime, the owner and half the techs where on call 24/7. My current employer sells 99% uptime and 24/7 support.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Puckstop31 View Post
    Le Sigh....

It must be tough, eh Sara? Looking down from thy roost upon we little people? How stupid we are that we cannot see your genius?

Yes. Yes we as a company realize that my singular knowledge of the detailed physical configuration of our colocation facility is an issue we need to address. Its a project on my plate. But rest your little heart... We will be fine. Thank you for your concern.

Also, dont worry dear.... I doubt I would be trying to employ you in the future. So you don't have to worry about putting your family at risk in our silly little company.

Oh... I recall you lamenting about how difficult it was to give away your extra wealth. I'm sure you recall? You have your wonderful home, cars, a Harely...etc... I used this new fangled thingy called Google. I typed in "How do I give a gift to the US Treasury?" Wouldn't you know it? The VERY first link that came up was...

http://www.fms.treas.gov/faq/moretopics_gifts.html

You said something about "flying monkeys" and "not as easy as you think". I'm sure you will be happy to see that it IS. Awesome, eh?
    You are so cute when I get under your skin Thanks for showing just how very little you know about the IT business. LOL But good try!
    Ditto and likewise Puck! You certainly went to some effort to zing me!!

So darn cute you are....awesome

Ditto and likewise Puck! You certainly went to some effort to zing me!!

So darn cute you are....awesome
    Aww muffin....

I am so very disappointed in you. You come out of your burrow to grace us with your wisdom and THIS is all you got?

Surely someone of thy wisdom would have something better than this?

Keep trying. I know you have one or two more responces in you!

- Homer Simpson

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    99% uptime does not happen without 24/7 support.

If Puck is selling 99% uptime he had better be on call 24/7, and that would be a company I would depend on if he can deliver.

Last employer also sold 99% uptime, the owner and half the techs where on call 24/7. My current employer sells 99% uptime and 24/7 support.
    A 10,000 ft comment on this general idea....

To put it in simple terms... 99.999% uptime (5 MINUTES of down time a year) can be done. It can. But it is REALLY expensive. Think about what you are asking for there? Its not just a fault tolerant server you are asking for. Its a fault tolerant switch, power supply, internet connectivity (on the same DNS name) etc... It can be done. Its just not for most clients.

IT is WAY more complex than the average end user understands. Its not 'magic' that makes Pet Talk appear on your screen or your email show up in your inbox...

- Homer Simpson

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by Puckstop31 View Post
    A 10,000 ft comment on this general idea....
    While I was trying to dumb it down for certain members, but I was hoping I was at least 7,500 feet.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    There are no "communists" here on Pet Talk, despite what you might think. Just because someone's politics are to the "left' of yours does not make them a communist, ya know.
    Not yet.

"I'm Back !!"

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    To hell with that. I live out in the boonies for a reason. I do NOT want that kind of "accessibility" and find it incredibly narcissistic for people to think they're that bloody important that they need to bring work home with them on their phone.

It just ain't that damned important.

Work is work, home is home, and the two don't mix.

I want my phone to be a phone, I want my computter to be a computter.
    You may not need to bring work home but those who own their own business may. If you are a self-proprietor who really cares about their business, this type of thing will come in handy. If you have a 9 - 5 job, no, you wouldn't need it.

Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by happylabs View Post
    You may not need to bring work home but those who own their own business may. If you are a self-proprietor who really cares about their business, this type of thing will come in handy. If you have a 9 - 5 job, no, you wouldn't need it.
    Sheep need down time.

"I'm Back !!"

Sheep need down time.
    So do touchholes, but yours seems to be on the go 24/7/365. Might want to give it a rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    So do touchholes, but yours seems to be on the go 24/7/365. Might want to give it a rest.
    No rest for me old mate. I've been my own man for too long.

"I'm Back !!"

No rest for me old mate. I've been my own man for too long.
    You may be your own man, but at least I don't defraud insurance companies to pay my bills.